15 replies to this topic

#1 camoman999

camoman999

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:56 PM

hello does nebody know a website or place where u can get the market prices for shellfish to ensure fishermen are getting the rite prices

#2 codender

codender

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

try and find billingsgate  market on web. they will have prices of fish/shellfish etc.
but there is no way you will get what they pay,
all buyers have different prices in different areas,
if they can get away with giving you the least they can then they will.
been this way for years and years and   years.......

#3 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

The only place you could go and see fishermen getting the right price would be f*cking la la land.

#4 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:31 PM

lol ...........

#5 big wheels

big wheels

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:50 PM

The only place you could go and see fishermen getting the right price would be f*cking la la land.
Na Not la la land but Frog Land, stasted landing into French Criee,s (cree ay) several years back. Only reason ime still fishing, goverment run no fiddles guarenteed your money. As a friend told me before hand , no bad prices just good and very good. Only then do u realise how u been had for so many years, sooner dump it over the side than land local again.
Fish tremble at the mere mention of my name.

#6 bfsanders

bfsanders

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:02 AM

most shell fish is private sales the reason bein so they can rip you off and you cant do a thing about it

#7 camoman999

camoman999

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

i guess this is just the way it is but i think it is high time fishermen got together like how much would it cost to get a lorry and transport there catch to mainland europe to the markets if they all chipped in tats my view neway

#8 codender

codender

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

camoman,your idea is the answer, BUT!!!!!!!
it will never work or happen,,,
its been like this for the past 30 years,,and the men cant all come together,
its been tried, protest here protest there, just a total waste of time,
theres too many individual minds involved ,and what suits some doesn,t suit the other,
and the government have been very good at keeping the fishermen split ..

also with all the red tape/paperwork nowadays, the last thing on a fisherman,s mind when he comes in is try to organize transport etc, ........

#9 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

red tape and crappy bureaucracy kill a lot of ideas stone dead

Had an idea a couple of years back to sell fish direct, mixed of fish/shellfish boxes direct to consumers and restaurants.  polystyrene box with a wee block of dry ice will keep anything chilled right down for 24 hours at least

if you look at the market prices of landings, then the prices supermarkets charge for stuff thats been hanging around for days on end and poorly looked after there's a huge margin to play with

most of the fish I ever see in tescos I'd not feed to the cat, looks like its been passed from pillar to post for days

#10 camoman999

camoman999

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

i just think its terrible tat the fishermen are losin out big time if this was corrected we could maybe make a wage instead of strugglin all the time and the buyers makin all the money if i knew wat the buyer was gettin was correct i would be content but you never know its hard enough the way things are lol wee rant over u need money to start tat kind of enterprise i suppose and fishermen dont ave it all the co -ops are closing as it is

#11 bfsanders

bfsanders

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:00 AM

hopefully on the lead up to xmas the price of fish and prawns will rise and make it actually worth while going to sea,,,

#12 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

More chance of making a £ if we were to get 2 or 3 lifts of turkeys in the run up to xmas BF

#13 jamie SR91

jamie SR91

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

Aye Sanders but after xmas back to same crap prices :'(

#14 camoman999

camoman999

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

the buyers all say good prices at xmas that is one to three weeks of the year its a fu*kin joke and weather is against us what are we suppose to do the rest of the year total joke

#15 codender

codender

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:03 PM

if you go onto findafishingboat.co.uk you will see in the column right down near the bottom.

fish prices, click on to either peterhead or grimsby etc..prices are there..

#16 camoman999

camoman999

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:54 AM

nebody know the price for brown crab at the moment

Reply to this topic