#1 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

On retiring from the trade a few years ago I've done a bit of travelling, I suppose and know members have been abroad and met complete strangers who know someone or where they are from, this SITE is really as my daughter seys A REAL FISHERMEN'S BEBO, the wife thinks I am surfing elsewhere till I told her about the Joke Section, the most of my posts are at her instigation. Maggie Tar your favourie friendly Cal-Mac booking girl marooned at Kennacraig.

#2 Hooked

Hooked

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationMidsomer Norton, Nr Bath

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

Bienvenue John!  Paul

#3 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:06 PM

2005 in Canada, Vancouver, said to Cousin ERCHIE who we were staying with, any way to get a trip up the Inside Passage, between Vancouver Island and Mainland, strongest tides in the world run there by the way, leave it with me Jeke he says.

Got you a 5 day cruise to ALASKA via the Inside he says next morning, 250 bucks apiece, all inclusive as much as you can drink and eat 24 hours a day, only thing its mostly Japanese who have booked, a few Yanks but no Europeans as far as I ken.

Never one to turn down a bargain we booked it and off we went, £25 a day and as much drink, me me as Johnny Buchan wid sey.
2nd nights out was formal night, thank the wee man Erchie had gied me a MacDougall Tartan Tie and the lend of a white shirt or we was dished.
Anyways Maitre-de sat us down at a table for 8 with 4 Japs, nightmare feck all but smiles and bows till he sat two American ladies down, tell the truth thought they were lezzies till they told us they were sisters.

One of them said "Like the MacDougall tartan tie"
Thanks I said how did you know the tartan?
Well from your accent you are from Argyll , only an educated guess though but definately West Coast
A small village south of Oban called Tarbert says I,
Gee she says you must know Douglas MacAlpine and Richmond Murphy? (for information, both are local ex-fishermen.)
Play golf with Big Duggie (skippered Cathrine Anne TT31), didn't really admit to knowing Richmond, seys I, how do you know them?
"Worked at Dunstaffanage Marine Lab, Oban, they both were on the research boats, lovely lads she told me !!
Turns out she was exchange marine biology professor with UCLA Berkely, California,

Is that an encounter of 3rd kind?

#4 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

what about george and peace and love, peace and love ringo?

richmond used to visit when i was a wee boy, only met him a couple of times in later life, his young fla i've met just once but funny enough we do exchange pleasantries via bebo noo and again, he played drums in a band with my old bass player.

as for your close encounters, i was going on a trip to amsterdam in 1981 with two friends, one a local postie, the other my brother from another mother, we were born on the same day, me in the toon, him in vancouver, his mother had been midwife when my older brother wis born two years earlier before she got married and moved to canada. he went on to be my best man two years later and you can hear him doing the commentry on the recent ian wright motorbike ride across america program, but back to the trip, we had got the 11pm bus from glasgow arriving in london at 7am, the bus to amsterdam didn't leave till 10pm so we had hours to kill, bruce wanted to visit the kings rd, see all the shops and the cool people, when we eventually got there i bought a Tshirt from vivian westwoods shop she had at the time an original pistols god save the queen, apparently worth £600-1,000 to collectors today, thanks to my wife for throwing it and the leather jeans which go for £800 just because they have a westwood label.
anyway thats all by the by as my gran used to say, to get to the kings rd we had to get the underground, so we headed for the nearest one, went thru the whole ticket thing, onto the platform and argueing about what we were going to do, bruce wanting to go to the chelsea drugstore cos it appeared on a stobes album or something, train arrives, doors open, we pile on and sitting in the seat opposite is a girl from southend, bruce's parents had the keil hotel at southend at the time and the girl had worked as a barmaid the previous summer.
she took us back to her flat where we had a kip before investigating london, that night we decide to go for a pint before the bus, we were near the london palladium or albert hall or something, spy a bar called the argyll, that'll do for me, in we go, posh clientelle, pre show drinkies and wotnot, get to the bar and i order three pints, "your from campbeltown" says the barman, "do you know doogie brodie?"  turns out his granny lived in smith dr. and he visited every summer, two in one day.wasn't till much later i discovered his grandfather had worked for my father on the original QW in the early sixties.  i won't go into the rest, involves some nice irish boys we met on the bus who took us to a IRA safehouse and put us up for the night!!!

don't know about bebo for fishermen, merr like MSN, i know i'm MSN a few screws!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#5 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:02 PM

strange encounters on here even john??
i have got a drawing done of the boat by our resident artist john baird a weewhile ago but have been talking back an for with him on here turns out he was on the puffer(glen shiel) in ayr bay but left shortly before it sank, the strange bit is so was my grandfather jack after movign down here from hopeman the internet makes the world a helluva lot smaller

#6 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

back in the early seventies i was on a caravan holiday in portsoy with the old pair-the oul fella being himself was down every evening when the seiners came in. he reckoned the fishermen he tried to talk to were dry enough and would only answer his questions till one evening while berthing one of the boats stuck in gear whilst going ahead-the skipper shouted out the window to get a rope out quick and the old fella got a quick turn on it on the pier and got the boat checked. the skipper duly stopped the engine and told the old lad and me to come down to the boat-he says to the old fella you must be a fisherman or at least very used to boats the way you took the turn and the old lad explained that he used be and where he came from. the skipper sent us away with a hearty thanks a good feed of fish and an instruction for the old lad to meet him later for a drink.
   that night the old lad went to the pub which was full of tourists it being summer just before chucking out time the skipper came in sent over a drink to the old lad and the barman said-at chucking out time just sit where you are. once they got rid of the tourists the skipper came over and laughed-he says now we have peace to talk-we get tortured with tourists here asking daft questions. he introduced the old lad to his father and he questioned the old lad where exactly he was from-the old lad said a wee island beside kincasslagh-wherupon the skippers father says-who do you belong to on owey-which gave my fella a right start! the old lad was a bit suspicious to say the least when he explained and the skippers father said-i stayed in your house on owey with your grandmother and knew your father really well!- it turned out most of the old fishermen had fished out of kincasslagh on the steam  drifters and in the bad weather some of the young lads in the crews would be taken home by our lot. they all k new our people really well-and the old fella had a great holiday after being treated like royalty in portsoy-was asking him last night could he remember any of the portsoy mens names but apart from a few first names he has forgotten-he reckons they drank to much whiskey to remember anything!-a strange encounter tying a rope.
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

Reply to this topic