ok, here's another curiosity...

18 replies to this topic

#1 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

a ballasty type question.  Its only paranoia that makes me even ask the question, but... given a 45 foot wooden boat (fifie)  that ain't sailing, has no machinery on deck.....   ballast

fecking tons of the stuff. intitially the f'ocsle up front was half boarded up, behind the board from hog almost to the deck was tons of scrap iron, estimate maybe 2 tons, above the prop cut out, right at the hint end in the stern was about the same, so both these piles were substantially above the water line

laid between the frames, straight on the planks all over the shop are hundreds of lengths of iron - sash weights, lengths of railway line...

all that lot is in addition to what is lying in the hog

these things were never ballasted like this were they??

#2 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

Ballast would have been played around with by the owner at the time, maybe she sat a lot better with that amount in her, stopped her throwing her self about.
Completely different circumstances, but we had the naval architects design the new 6 metre extension on the yacht I am engineer on, and we ended up with an extra 30 ton of lead in it to get her down on her marks when she was bunkered up, plus the lead that was already all over the place orginally
If you take it out just note where it all was as it may well have to go back in, and have a rough calculation of how much was in each area.
Take it out see how she sits and feels when at sea, but would say you'll end up putting it back in as it was there for a reason to begin with
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#3 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

it was all (well most of it) a fairly recent addition - each bit wrapped up in a tesco carrier bag!

the bit up front for example was stacked right up to the deck, so the majority was above the water line.  My theory i the last chappy stuck it all there to get her nose down so he could se over the front whilst pootling down the canal

hoying all that up front certainly dropped her nose, but here arse was then in the air, so a similar amount got stuck at the back of the engine room to level her out again

we've had her out just the once since we shifted those 2 lots, and she steered far better, was a full knot faster, and used half the fuel!

not had her in anything like a lump yet though

#4 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:05 AM

what boat is this mark???

#5 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

what boat is this mark???

Pansy, an old fifie ex bf494

http://www.trawlerpi...gallery;cat=375

or if you've got an hour or 2 - http://bf494.co.uk

best start at the beginning though, its far from serious!  there's a pic of some of the ballast that was in the hint end on there as well

#6 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

is it the same pansy or just coincidental name to the boat that was in our esteemed member Mr. Ronnie Marr's family? he posted a pic the other day featuring a boat of that name, i'm sure he would have mentioned it had it been the same boat, i don't know one builder from another unless its a nobles of girvan so i was just going by the name. best of luck with your endeavours mark, pity you weren't located in my neck of the woods, i'd be volunteering an extra pair of hands to give you a wee hand, any excuse to get my hands dirty working with wood.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#7 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

dunno.  She was built in Macduff for the Wiseman family of Whitehills in 1937, stayed with them till around 1969.  after that I've no idea.  there was another pansy I think, SY reg??

getting to the point where were thinking of relocating to where the volunteers are! 

Spent the day jetwash the engine room clear of 70 years of shite, great fun!

but if you want to build a new wheelhouse and stick it in the post that would be ok as well!

#8 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

funny you should say that, i do have one i made, only needs a roof, it was too big for the boat but it might be a bit on the wee side for your purposes, being only 11cm X 6cm
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#9 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

funny you should say that, i do have one i made, only needs a roof, it was too big for the boat but it might be a bit on the wee side for your purposes, being only 11cm X 6cm

for just a moment there - till I got got he end of the sentence anyway........

#10 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

sorry, as i'm just after telling islander on another topic "i'm only a bloody nuisence"

#11 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:29 PM

sorry, as i'm just after telling islander on another topic "i'm only a bloody nuisence"

how man, thats womans talk!   :)

#12 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

ah but, naw but, oh butt, mmm butt

#13 big wheels

big wheels

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:54 PM

30 ton EXTRA lead , hmmmm where did you say she is moored again Barry?? jigger weights for life lol ;D
Fish tremble at the mere mention of my name.

#14 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:13 PM

30 ton EXTRA lead , hmmmm where did you say she is moored again Barry?? jigger weights for life lol ;D
After you dig through the resin poured over it and rip up the guest cabin toilet decks, and remove most of the lazzarette, be a hell of an expensive in excess baggage all the same............. ;)

#15 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

out of interest, how heavy do you make your jigger weights....

removed the last bit of unwanted 'ballast' last week.  dozens of mini iron sash weights, complete with an eye at one end.... about 2kg each

yours if anyone wants em

#16 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

oh that would be handy we use 6 pound sash weights for the machines.  My brother lives in South Shields, got kept down there after he finished his cadetship.......

#17 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:34 AM

oh that would be handy we use 6 pound sash weights for the machines.  My brother lives in South Shields, got kept down there after he finished his cadetship.......

tell him to get in touch, we've got piles of em.

you can also tell him there's a new navigation system in place on the tyne....  just hang a big magnet from the bows and you can follow the trail of lumps of scrap iron that accidentally 'fell overboard' every 10 yards from newcastle to shields!

#18 big wheels

big wheels

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:30 PM

Aye Markh,not sure of exact weight I keep a couple of dozen on board and switch beetween 3-5 lb depending on tide and differant methords.Tried iron sash weights but diddnt get on with them, use em a bit in autum for ling when weight loss runs at 20-30 a day but on the pollock find lead best. Use a mould made from 3 inch angle iron bout 8 inches long blanked off at end makes toblerone shape seems to work for me.
Fish tremble at the mere mention of my name.

#19 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:04 PM

Aye Markh,not sure of exact weight I keep a couple of dozen on board and switch beetween 3-5 lb depending on tide and differant methords.Tried iron sash weights but diddnt get on with them, use em a bit in autum for ling when weight loss runs at 20-30 a day but on the pollock find lead best. Use a mould made from 3 inch angle iron bout 8 inches long blanked off at end makes toblerone shape seems to work for me.

been tempted to drop one or 2 over the wrecks myself, getting hard to find cheap lead these days.  had a similar mould myself but bought a 16oz noreegian fast drop pirk mould a while back and find em much better, they drop faster and ride the tide better, and I seem to lose a lot less

Reply to this topic