#1 Mrs R

Mrs R

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

Although yea I am the token female which I take on the chin..... I am not a greenhorn.... I spent a summer working on an open 40 footer at the long lines for spurs in the 80's.... I HATED THE BAIT IT WAS MINGING..... All those hours baiting lines and taking the old bait off.....ugh... Oh and the congers eels coming through the stripper made me take to ma heels........Midwife to the doggies giving birth on the deck.... and what can i  say for wearing the same clothes two days in a row..... it cant be done ...the smell over your morning coffee would make you boak......however I turned up every day made a decent wage and what can I say it was an experence...... never to be repeated.......... ;D

#2 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

If it's any consolation Mrs.R, I wouldnae go near a conger if my life depended on it,used to disappear for a wee while until somebody else "dealt with it". Even a small one used to give me the heebie jeebies..when they started flapping about in the pond big coward here was offski !!  What put you to sea by the way?....do tell.

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#3 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:10 PM

a few of the irish girls fished also- 2 sisters in burtonport-one had her skippers ticket! can think of 3or 4 more over the years and cliona coneely in galway skipper of the maggie c. all done well and put a good lot of men to shame!
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#4 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:19 PM

Jonah's mother went to sea with my grandfather and my old man and his brother during the war when the older brothers were in the services.They were at the creels and the seine net with a wee 35 foot yawl and Margaret steered the boat.Needs must when the Devil drives right enough.

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#5 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:50 PM

i've a 12yr old daughter that would jump at the chance if i was still at sea, and i know she'd be a better hand than a few men i've worked with, a grafter with a love for the outdoors, she went out a couple of times to creels with the late billy wareham in his wee boat, got stuck right in and she was only nine or ten at the time, she wants to be a marine biologist but i wouldn't need to think twice about giving her a berth, the only thing women seem to have a problem with other than the squimish job of gutting fish is the "can" i remember my wee sister coming out and asking where the toilet was, the look on her face when i handed her the can and a bucket of water and told her "theres toilet roll in the engine room" was a picture!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#6 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

the old superstition about it being bad luck taking a woman out in a boat is pure and utter nonsense-it`s more like shocking bad luck getting involved with them LOL.
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#7 Mrs R

Mrs R

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

Well Morris bucket was not a problem for me could hold all day and still can............ YR why else would I do it..................To buy clothes, make up and perfume (to cover the smell o the bait)and have a Fiver left for the pub on Friday night,,,,,,,,,,,

#8 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

better watch princees fiona if rikki hears you saying about a fiver he will be geting ideas of taking you out for two dates lol lol

re glasgow ok last year was quiet but can you imagine the group that could appear this year?:D?:D?:o?:o????

bed by 5 o clock hahaha

#9 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

Aye Jammy, you'll be in bed by 5 after two pints and falling over
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#10 Fishermen-Jordan

Fishermen-Jordan

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationExmouth, Devon

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

yer Jammy bed by 5 before he go with the girls  :D

#11 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

are you feeling particularly brave tonight jordan?:D?:D??
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#12 Fishermen-Jordan

Fishermen-Jordan

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationExmouth, Devon

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:40 PM

whats??

#13 Mrs R

Mrs R

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:31 PM

In those by gone days when I lived in Portpatrick I could have a brill night out wit a fiver and still come home with change.................

Nowadays I dont bother with any money at all I just take Robbie........lol

#14 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

Yes my dear Mrs.R,the finest credit card known to womankind is indeed a husband !! Gaun yersel' lassie,gie it a guid kickin' (the plastic card,not Mr.R)...although if you feel inclined.....!!!

#15 Mrs R

Mrs R

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

My toe is too sore to kick him ronnie........just now ..but if he doesnt finish painting the hall tomorrow things could change...lol

#16 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

Keep him in his rightful place....ye're some kid !!!  (why the sore toe?)

#17 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

swapping his blades of glory for his brushes of magnol-i-(a)?
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#18 Islander

Islander

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

Had to watch it last night morris,first thing Fiona said that could be you but yer teeth arent as shiney ....THANKS ...As for gliding across the ice i think i would be more like Bambi learning to skate..The spandex and the ego part will have to go to some other members/member any sugestions? lol

[move]Jammy[/move]

#19 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

you'll know better than me on that score so i bow to your superior knowledge, ok yes, i suspect he has some spandex in his wardrobe somewhere.

as for the film? maybe not your double, more a caricature with all the features exaggerated, any ideas about the sidekick, a bit over weight, with a fixation about his hair? shag anything with a pulse? known to drink to the point of memory loss?
can't say i've ever met someone like that? i've a vision of an old yorkshire man greeting a female running thru my head, sounds a bit like the name of a boat!!!!

#20 Islander

Islander

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

Do Tell

#21 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

AYE OH LASS!!

#22 Islander

Islander

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

Aoelus eh the mrs figured it out. am a bit simple.

#23 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

must be, it was only you and fiona that knew till you decided to tell everybody, i suggested to the admin that they add a chatroom, save a lot of chasing everybody round different topics just to have a blether, i know i'll only end up annoying somebody otherwise, as my mother used to tell me, i'm only a bloody nuisence!!

and just wait till that other lot get in from the pubs and the gittering goes up a few gears round about midnight.

Reply to this topic