#1 rebel lady

rebel lady

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtiree

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hello everyone. I was told today that scottish power are looking at building a wind farm out west of Tiree the problem is its going to be smack bang in the middle of our lobster ground. Has anyone came across working in and around them or do the fishermen get compensasion. im guessin thats its just going to feck the lob fishing out here and the gimps in the offices wont really care :D.
up to your nuts in guts

#2 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

don't know if the guidelines have changed, but a few years back I was involved in fighting a monster wind farm that was planned down here.  We went through all the NFFO contracts and regulations and offshore farms were quite particular in their being no fishing at all in their vicinity

#3 rebel lady

rebel lady

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtiree

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

I didnt think we would be. Theyre wanting to put up over 200 of them out here im only young masel and the way things are looking the future wont be in the fishing around the island anyway. Just makes you think its all done and dusted behind the secnes before the even think about letting the peolpe that itll effect know
up to your nuts in guts

#4 Mrs R

Mrs R

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

RL they are putting wind turbines up all around here.. I am on the community council and know that the energy companies give a huge amount of compensation to the surrounding areas.The money is drip fed over 25 years and it is up to the communities to decide how to put this money to the best sustainable use... My advice to you is to get intouch with your community council and find out what their plans are for the money before it is all decided.

#5 rebel lady

rebel lady

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtiree

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Thanks mrs R theres a comunity trust meeting on tonite one the other boys away to it as im not on the trust but there are peolpe from scottish power coming to the island so if they have a public meeting then ill pop along and see what the script is. they say that its going to produce around 30 jobs to the island but hopfully the fishing community will get a slice of the compensasion too.
up to your nuts in guts

#6 northisles

northisles

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationorkney

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

if the area there looking at is hard ground it would make the construction time long and tricky,theres another site going ahead off the buchan coast.

#7 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

RL they are putting wind turbines up all around here.. I am on the community council and know that the energy companies give a huge amount of compensation to the surrounding areas.The money is drip fed over 25 years and it is up to the communities to decide how to put this money to the best sustainable use... My advice to you is to get intouch with your community council and find out what their plans are for the money before it is all decided.

hmnnn.

they offered the village here £25000 in compensation for building what would have been Europe's largest on shore wind farm, and that would have been spread over 10 years...   with clauses on what it could be used for

and they were getting a £120 million subsidy to build the thing

they are a devious bunch, I've met folks in villages where they've built them, not seen the promised support and the place been left a shit hole

#8 northisles

northisles

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationorkney

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

The promiss of employment usually adds up to a couple skippers jobs for the crew boats.

#9 rebel lady

rebel lady

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtiree

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

yeh the ground they are planning on useing is mostly all rock its out around skerryvore lighthouse on of boys got a map of where its going to be so ill need to wait and have a proper look. We'll just need to wait and see what jobs are created by it i would'nt of thought that the crew boats would get along side when the weather is scrappy out here :-\
up to your nuts in guts

#10 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:56 AM

Of one thing you can be 100% certain....if there are going to be big wedges of compo money finding their way into pockets,it sure as hell will NOT be fishermen's pockets. In the very unlikely event that some does escape the clutches of the usual "good PC causes", it definately will not be inshore men who get it !! (not that I'm cynical or anything :D)

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#11 rebel lady

rebel lady

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtiree

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

yeh know what you mean Y R ill not pe going out spending a fortune with the thought of getting alot or if indeed any compensasion cash will just have to dodge along same as ever :D
up to your nuts in guts

#12 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

I'm afraid so mate.I would be very very happy to be proved wrong,(I sincerely hope I am,and will be delighted to acknowledge the fact)but somehow I don't think so.Money to protect a hedgehog/seal/goose or any other such like critter?...nae problem,blank cheque.Money for saving fishing jobs in coastal communities?...dinnae talk daft !!!

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#13 Mrs R

Mrs R

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

The figure we have been given is £25000 a year over 25 years Mark, A  household community survey is to be done to assertain the needs of all members of the community......perhaps we are being a little naive? :D

#14 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

the offer of a few quid to the local community to get their approval is a standard formula, they do it everywhere, and very few places afterwards are particularly pleased about the end result

we had a long hard fight but we beat em eventually.  you need to think long and hard about how little 25k really is, and there will without be big divisions locally as to wether to accept it or what to do with it

#15 rebel lady

rebel lady

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtiree

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

aye right enough 25k isnt that hellish much but im sure it would swing alot of the comunity. especialy with there being somany do gooders that want to do this that and the next thing to help the enviroment, dont get me wrong im all for helping the enviroment but im not wanting to loose a lively hood that ive only just choosen. And when you look at the local trust there are a few people that wouldnt be effected by the fishing fleet being torn to bits, but wouldnt mind a slice of the money cake if you can see where im coming from. Its the sort of thing there could be lots of pros and cons but so far i can only see the cons. >:(
up to your nuts in guts

#16 graham

graham

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationramsgate

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

Our wind farm starts the end of the week,we're pushed off the ground until its built then they say we can go back,for what i dont know.they have no legal right to pay out anything but it makes there work easier if they have't got boats shooting gear all over the place.they are paying out but its a silly amount considering what we've lost.you might it usefull to dress up as a newt,the london gateway just paid out £6000 per newt to have them relocated  >:( but a serious note i have a phone number who could help
IF THE PROP'S NOT TURNING,YOUR NOT EARNING !!!!!

#17 Baskets16

Baskets16

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMoon

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

they want to put one up off machrihanish,seen that in todays courier
<iframe frameborder=0 scrolling=yes width=100% height=800px src="http://www.campbelto...the_wind.html">
</iframe>
[url=http://www.campbeltowncourier.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4944/Reap_the_wind.html[/url]

#18 rebel lady

rebel lady

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtiree

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

aye it would be good if they paid that to relocate the lobsters ;D but i doubt they will the people of london will have more say than a bunch of hairy arsed fishermen out on a wee island :uglystupid2: the guy whos number you have what could he do to help us  ???
up to your nuts in guts

#19 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

they want to put one up off machrihanish,seen that in todays courier
<iframe frameborder=0 scrolling=yes width=100% height=800px src="http://www.campbelto...the_wind.html">
</iframe>
[url=http://www.campbeltowncourier.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4944/Reap_the_wind.html[/url]

BE FINE 2 GET GAURD SHIP GRAND A DAY WOULD DO THE NOW
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

Reply to this topic