118 replies to this topic

#91 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

going back to the middle age/old age theme, i was in the graveyard at home in ireland burying my grandfather and i came upon a grave with the following written on the headstone...........................oh, wanderer now as you pass by
                                                    as you are now,so once was i
                                                    as i am now, so you shall be
                                                    prepare youself to come with me

#92 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

came upon a grave......................................................theres probably a name for such behaviour

#93 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

does anybody no if capt macallum that used to take the safety courses is still living??

#94 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

You've no been reading QW's posts have you ?

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#95 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

thought i had Ronnie but must have missed one or two i take it??

#96 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

Just go back to page 6 of this thread and all will be revealed.It's supposed tae be an auld bugger like me that's slow on the uptake no a young fella like you lol

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#97 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:20 PM

he lived up your way at the end of his life Ronnie, well Caribbean, anywhere north of ardrishaig is up your way, nice to see i wasn't the only member who's path he crossed, he could be a carnaptious auld bugger when he wanted or needed to be, kept his tawse in the drawer (no they didn't fall off during a trip to the south Atlantic whaling, just head that joke off at the pass, for our younger or southern members, the softies who never experienced corporal punishment in school) like the other teacher sweltered mentioned john "the boot" Mckerral, the threat of "Horace" as the boot called his was enough to quell even the rowdiest of classroom disturbances. of course i was a model pupil in dougal's class, seeing as there were only eight of us in the class, only two of which went to the fishing, one to the RAF , one never worked from the day he left school, one a electrician, one drives diggers another is a storesman and the last is an accountant, Robbie bought a wee boat from his old man archie graham. he was quite an imposing character was dougal and a look of disappointment from him during one of my frequent moments of "i'm finished the chartwork, i think i'll take the piss out of someone" he remedied this by pairing me with  the class struggler and informing me that my marks would  set according to how well this person did with his, backfired a bit when it came to the O'level exam and poor tony was on his own, it was the last exam i sat and i was already under instruction that unlike everyone else who could leave and go home once they completed the exam, i was to remain in school till the end of the day. my crime? being down the pier helping the old man paint the boat while i should have been in school between exams, the truant officer Commander Ward, Jamie bucket's grandfather, came looking for me and the crew claimed to have no knowledge of my whereabouts, it being high tide he didn't notice me up the top of the mast, paintbrush in hand, a leg wrapped round each stay, brush in one hand, tin of paint in the other, i couldn't get up that mast with a ladder now, nevermind hang on in such a manner once i got there. my legs feel sore just thinking about it.

just for the young or the southern members who never knew the joy of the tawse, which was a strip of "the finest lochgelly leather" as one teacher described it, about 18-24 inches in length, split into two tongues at one end, depending on the teacher they could be between 5mm and 12mm thick about an inch or so wide, some say certain teachers treated their belt to make them especially stiff like a bar of iron, one teacher used to hold it out in front of him and there would be not even the hint of a bend in the belt, in my opinion theres a lot of todays youth could benefit from six of the best, tho some teachers in my day seemed to get too much pleasure out of administering the belt, they were easily spotted as they were men who would belt girls, most would if forced into having to belt a female send the culprit to a female teacher, the ones who didn't and who put all their weight into each blow were the same teachers who never seem to accept invitations to class reunions. i was on the board of my kids primary school for eight years, four with an ex teacher of mine, we had an incident where a youth had been caught breaking classroom windows, a good dose of the belt is needed i suggested, to which this retired teacher replied that no, the poor misunderstood boy needed support and a social worker, i couldn't resist reminding him that he had no problem giving me 12 strokes of his belt for not getting up off my backside quick enough to choose a partner while we were being taught Scottish country dancing, he will be instantly recognised to all from this neck of the woods by his nickname "BA HEID"
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#98 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:22 AM

Dugald taught me in school Navigation (1964/65) and some off the record sex education to class, vividly describing various forms of clap he had to deal with as Master after visiting exotic ports, also to really put the frightners in us showed us pics from his medical books. ugh.
Dugald's nickname up here was "twoie-twoie"(2ee-2ee), asked Robert Ross and he said it was his mother who called him that, don't know if he was a 2nd child or no.

#99 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

Aye the artist formerly known as QW,the mention of the good old Lochgelly brought back many ?happy? memories right enough."Six of the best" laid on by an expert who could hit the spot every time(some couldnae,and ye ended up wi' a bloody sair wrist as well as a tingling palm). Our maths teacher was a fearsome auld dragon who went by the name of Eenie Donaldson,and was as clever wi' a hand as a tawse and a voice that would rattle the windaes when she was in a temper.She taught my Old Man's generation too,and taught them well,at least I can count past ten withoot having to take my shoes and socks off,unlike some of the youngsters now..If they didnae have a calculator they would be lost.Other teachers walked in awe of Eenie,pupils walked in terror,but she could control a class,educate them,and turn out a decent teenager with a bit of respect in them..we could do wi' some of her kind nowadays in our schools to sort things out. I've no got a violent bone in me,but sometimes a wee bit of pain works wonders !! I was laughing at the "Ba' Heid" nickname..that's what my Uncle Jim aye called me when I was a kid,that brought back another pile of memories. I'd better stop now before it turns into a life history !!

#100 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

nice to see Captain McCallum touched so many of the older generations lives, he was the strictest teacher i ever had with the exception of wee betty short, 4ft 10 of pure temper, witnessed her once slap the biggest lad in the class across the face for giving her cheek, she would turn purple with rage at the slightest thing, taught both my parents too and i was in the last class she taught, out of school when i was older she was the nicest person to meet, always pleasant to speak to, if you hadn't been taught by her you would have thought her a kindly old white haired woman, even today just mention her name to anyone over 45 and they'll still get a shiver up the spine.
Dougal was the only teacher that ever taught me that never belted me, i used to enjoy being the class clown, all my report cards highlighted my sarcastic attitude in class, i enjoyed the battle of wits with a few, after all my work was done of course so they couldn't fault me for that, i made my history teachers life a misery for two years and when he came to a class reunion we had when we turned forty he spent an hour telling me what a great pupil i'd been!!! left me speechless, usually impossible as a few will agree, he used to try and embarress me by producing pictures his brother had taken of myself and my brothers in the band we had, fancied himself as a photographer and a musical svengali, a forerunner of simon cowell, if i got lippy in class, the teacher would open his drawer and produce the pics, asking the class if they wanted to see pics of the class rockstar, didn't bother me, it was a bit different in those days, we were the first new young band in town in twenty years, today every second kid is in a band in our school, or in the pipeband or brass band, winning titles all over the place, gives them the discipline that most their age lack, easy to spot the vandals and mischief makers here, the ones that aren't in one of the bands, the threat of expulsion keeps the members in check, tho on a trip to france last year a few hired a cabin on the return ferry and got blitzed, they all got thrown out the band and publically shamed at school, don't think many will follow their example. bring back the belt for the troublemakers, tho it never worked on their parents and grandparents, its easy to spot the third and fourth generation thugs here, i did advocate sterilisation in an article i wrote for a magazine my brother used to publish back in the nineties, didn't go down too well, but then there are farmers who still don't speak to me after one i wrote about them "to beef, or not to beef?" the word subsidy is a sore point with some of them, they still glower at me in the street, i didn't know they could read!!!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#101 Hooked

Hooked

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationMidsomer Norton, Nr Bath

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:34 PM

The next time someone asks you to "push the envelope" or "think outside the box" tell them you are not a feckin'  postman/woman (being politically correct) unless of course you are!!

#102 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:17 AM

Life is like a pubic hair on the toilet rim, eventually you will get pissed off

#103 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

high wind stay in wheelhouse lol
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#104 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

pay attention when your crossing the street wae the sun in your eyes, you never know who you'll bump into, tag and all, hope he behaves this time

#105 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:08 AM

puton 2 jumpers the day 2 pair o bottoms jealy ankles says tat works yea got me gifted 1

#106 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

only thing he'd want two pair oh kegs for wid be to hide any fish he neefs offa glenbarr doon the leg oh, naw that he'd ever catch anythin in the first place, naw since he stopped goin up there wae knuckler and a net.

#107 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

haha he got a 12lb billy other day but u no wat happened dont u  ;) :D

#108 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

he fell in? line broke? he farted and sh!t himself? it got away? tell him my father inlaw came up with a 20 pounder for me last night, it went straight in the freezer, i'm not a fan of the red fish, tasteless to my pallate, give me a monk any day, nasty habit but can't help it. or a wee haddie, salt and pepper, squirt of lemon and grilled with the skin on, mmmmm breakfast of kings, you can keep yer trout and billies.

#109 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

just the same gifted 1 got haddies 4 the tea round bak in deep water now hopefuly get a drop o i it got away honest

#110 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:41 AM

Why do burst hydraulic pipes always happen on a scheite of a day? Never seems to be a flat calm bonnie day when it happens!!

#111 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

always de mist ur windows wen steaming into a port with alot of lights so u can c boats

#112 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:47 AM

don't be first to moor your yacht at the new inner harbour pontoons when they are finally set up, or, check you are insured first and you like the idea of having the keel in the cabin.

#113 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:02 AM

have they started yet qw be a mush in there in summer

#114 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

only just been awarded the money, did you not see the plan in the paper? standby for two years of dredging the inner harbour, they plan to put pontoons along the front atthe harbour wall so you won't be able to tow in on a poor day as they'll be dumping millions of tons of mud at the light, it'll have to go somewhere and thats where they dumped it before, need to dig down about 20ft so it doesn't dry out won't they?

#115 bryan DE127

bryan DE127

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

we have had pontoons in AH for a few years now and its a no go place for fishing boats its all bonnie and clean harbour staff power wash the pontoons down each day .where we moor your luckie if you have a stair to get aboard the boat .

#116 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

again u mean me an uncle lauri were getting some shit shooting at millbeg an towig out roon smerbys an back in if they was a breeze o southely wind after the dredge it the kids will need arm bands 2 go 2 pictures lol

#117 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

i was going to take some pics at low water today but its first time oot in a month and i was fair puggled by the time i was feenished so got taken hame instead, had to buy a can of redbull in the co to keep me going so i could hirple doon the longrow

#118 Fishermen-Jordan

Fishermen-Jordan

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationExmouth, Devon

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

thought for the day? thats what its for, thought for the day,  >:(

#119 westword

westword

Deckie