Thought for to-day........

118 replies to this topic

#61 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:56 PM

close, its get your revenge in first, or my own which is "if considered, measured debate does not prevail, try sarcasm"
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#62 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:11 PM

And if all else fails just shout louder than everybody else !.....no much use to me,I never had a powereful enough voice,widnae hear me ahint a sheet o' broon paper...cannae even shout when I get annoyed.(but the wife sure as hell can...If she gied ye a roar fae the Cloch,ye wid hear her at the Cumbrae !!)

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#63 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:48 PM

not a problem, been measured officially at ten glens, no idea how far that is, depends how far apart  the glens are? as long as its not the scottish version of that old childish ditty, milk milk lemonade, could never remember the end of the scots version, for these are my mountains, this is where the glen bit comes in, the image of me shouting over ten such glens does not compute, unless it would be to tell No. 11 that just like No.2 she'd just need to be patient or leave a number and i'd be in touch some time after the new year..........2010!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#64 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

Thought for the day.............
"Alcohol does not solve any problems, then again neither does milk".........

#65 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:43 AM

wen its a poor mornin an u no wen u slack away the chains it will freshen up with in 20m dont shoot yuk wat a day  :;D
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#66 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:51 AM

why do people say "i just knew that was going to happen!" whenever something goes wrong? if they knew it was going to happen why did they not take steps to ensure it in fact does not happen? save a lot of time and trouble, i've often wondered if people who die in sudden accidental circumstances, just as they go towards the light, a non denominational light or no light at all, their last thought is "i just knew that was going to happen"

there is the other school who in the same circumtances will say "i meant that actually" usual in some embarressing incident like tripping over something and doing a comical regaining your balance dance.

most famous "i just knew that was going to happen" utterances are attributed to General Custer, Admiral Lord Nelson, and the whole of Scotland during extra time of the 1966 world cup final!!!

if i missed any famous event like 1066 or something a bit more personal like getting chucked out of other sites?

i meant that actually!!!

ha ha, i went out to pick up some prescriptions and as we drove along the dual carraigeway i noticed a certain boat missing from the pier, "mmm i thought, must have been a better morning than i thought, but its freshening all the time, wonder if he knew that was going to happen? or he meant it actually?"

#67 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

To-day's thought.........
Don't expect to be the pigeon every day....some days you will be the statue.

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#68 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:17 PM

thought for the year, when setting up your broadband don't put the router in your 12yr old daughters bedroom, when she decides to decorate and steam strip the paper off the walls destroying the murals, yes the dwarves, chuckie and tommy, the hairy prawner, etc etc that you spent weeks painting (thats her oot the will) you'll find yourself spending half the day trying to find somewhere else to plug in the router, ok so its got a better wireless signal now, but since their own pc is not wireless compatible it means i'll see even less of my laptop as i already do, the son of the house was no help as he was too busy scoring a hat trick for scotland on his xbox while wearing his new size eleven £80 football boots, i suppose i should be grateful their holidays are shorter than an MPs. all i need now is for the wife to appear and ask "whats that hall lamp doing on?" switch it off at the socket and the router with it, i have my "i just knew that was going to happen" all prepared!!!!!!!!!!

#69 Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationGuernsey (Channel Islands)

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

Thought for the day

#70 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:13 PM

worked out not 2 bad 4hours 4 12st 5b but turnd nasty everyon 1tow an in

#71 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:18 PM

why do people say "i just knew that was going to happen!" whenever something goes wrong? if they knew it was going to happen why did they not take steps to ensure it in fact does not happen? save a lot of time and trouble, i've often wondered if people who die in sudden accidental circumstances, just as they go towards the light, a non denominational light or no light at all, their last thought is "i just knew that was going to happen"

there is the other school who in the same circumtances will say "i meant that actually" usual in some embarressing incident like tripping over something and doing a comical regaining your balance dance.

most famous "i just knew that was going to happen" utterances are attributed to General Custer, Admiral Lord Nelson, and the whole of Scotland during extra time of the 1966 world cup final!!!

if i missed any famous event like 1066 or something a bit more personal like getting chucked out of other sites?

i meant that actually!!!

ha ha, i went out to pick up some prescriptions and as we drove along the dual carraigeway i noticed a certain boat missing from the pier, "mmm i thought, must have been a better morning than i thought, but its freshening all the time, wonder if he knew that was going to happen? or he meant it actually?"

I just knew you were going to say that

I'll get me coat

#72 3762dazzer

3762dazzer

Mate

• Moderators
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

Its just fate

If you 'knew that was going to happen' then thats that, it will happen

If you were to think 'I realised there was strong possibillity that was going to happen' ie didn't 'know' then possibly you could take steps to avoid ;D

An that

#73 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

When reading an article in the paper today about how 10% of accidents on the road are caused by drink drivers.....
My thought for the day occured...
Are 90% of accidents on the road caused by drivers who are stone cold sober?

#74 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

my thought 4 day just came 2 me get stay in sound moro 30 of bulk 8or9st 2baskets pure crap but poor else where get it 3x its a doket yuk nut doket

#75 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

If Jammy had his ban button removed what would he do.............. about the only button he's ever managed to push
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#76 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

did he not take knoxys button ;)

#77 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

thought for today, if you thought yesterday and today were bad just wait for wednesday and thursday, who is the indicator boat, the one you'd follow out watching for her to about turn, you didn't want to be seen not going out for a look, on days like that you didn't want to shoot but if you saw someone else sticking on all the deck lights then you had to show face and stick her away yourself, one of the worst days i remember was seeing the boat aheads lights go on and giving the boys a shout to put her away, shot and towing, you then notice the other boat is heading back for davaar, turned out the lights were put on to secure something on the deck, the poor morning turned into a pure c*** of a day with the daylight SE 8-9, tow lasted as long as it took to tow into the light, heaving at the island slip for absoluyely nothing except nine fenders and one of those submarine rubbish canistors, and a bad tempered crew.
the reverse is also true, grumbling cos you canted and someone else shot, you canna win, i'm tied up for the week, you've heard the phrase not feeling 100%? well its naw feeling 10% this week, hope its better wae everyone else where ever ye may be

#78 Islander

Islander

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

Picked up the wrong end o the stick this morning watching GMTV the wee cutie weather lady announced it was going to be very windy and dull with heavy rain. Some parts of the country may have an odd sunny period I said to Fiona have never seen one o them in ma life they are usually crabbit, emotional and irrational, and give you that “Want to go to ma shed” feeling. The stinging in ma ear has made me realise I shoulda kept ma mouth shut. ::)

#79 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:08 PM

why do you think that men's magazines sold monthly are called periodicals? its not just coincidence!!

#80 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

my thought 4 day pick kids up have a afternoon and dinner way them nothing beat tat feeling 4 me

#81 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

thought for today, if you thought yesterday and today were bad just wait for wednesday and thursday, who is the indicator boat, the one you'd follow out watching for her to about turn, you didn't want to be seen not going out for a look, on days like that you didn't want to shoot but if you saw someone else sticking on all the deck lights then you had to show face and stick her away yourself, one of the worst days i remember was seeing the boat aheads lights go on and giving the boys a shout to put her away, shot and towing, you then notice the other boat is heading back for davaar, turned out the lights were put on to secure something on the deck, the poor morning turned into a pure c*** of a day with the daylight SE 8-9, tow lasted as long as it took to tow into the light, heaving at the island slip for absoluyely nothing except nine fenders and one of those submarine rubbish canistors, and a bad tempered crew.
the reverse is also true, grumbling cos you canted and someone else shot, you canna win, i'm tied up for the week, you've heard the phrase not feeling 100%? well its naw feeling 10% this week, hope its better wae everyone else where ever ye may be

we are planning (hoping!) to get out fishing this weekend, got a couple of newbies that are fancying a run out so might just go for the hell of it, but its looking awful breezy

#82 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:14 AM

2tows finish early have sum lager  ;D :D

#83 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:38 AM

A bit late now to give you a word of advice Mr.R but never never ever,even in jest,ask the fairer sex "have you got the painters in or something"especially if they are not having a good day....not a good idea my friend,they can be extremely touchy about that particular part of female life,or the "curse" as they call it. The only thing that is more of a bloody nuisance(no pun intended)to them is a husband !!

#84 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:07 PM

Middle age is when you choose a cereal for the fibre content, not the free toy.
Old age is a high price to pay for maturity.
And remember..........
Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability

#85 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Middle age for men John is (allegedly) the metalic age...silver in the hair gold in the teeth and nae lead in the pencil

#86 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

middle age is a state of mind, something you see in others and never in yourself, an example was brought home to me just the last week when i found out my old navigation teacher Captain Dougal McCallum had passed away, saddened at his passing one thing that eventually struck me as i sat going over old memories of him teaching me from 1976-78 while in school and later taking the CFA organised navigation course just for the hell of it, i ended up having to be perfect in the sunday morning class in the town hall as being the only ex pupil i got singled out for the trickier questions, i found myself taking my old jotters to sea with me so i could study during the week, then there would be his occasional trips from his home in whitehouse to tayinloan always managing to arrive as we would come in to the jetty and always leaving with a good rasher and a meal of our best prawns, likewise on a Friday at least once a month during the summer when he'd appear on the West Loch pier, I'm sure i was not the only one that he just happened upon under the same circumstances. i have many fond memories of him as a teacher and more so as he took an interest in me and how i was doing at the job for years afterwards, always asking after my old classmates from our time in the grammar school.
then i noticed in the piece about his death that he had been 83 when he died, a quick calculation and i realised that he was only 51 when he taught me, only five years older than i am now. but he was an old man when he taught me, tweed jacket, felt hat, pipe, brogues, highly polished and that big old black car he drove, i know nothing about cars but it dated from the fifties I'm sure. as a 14 yr old pupil he seemed ancient, his stories of his years at sea which we knew meant no chartwork, didn't take much to coax out of him, we would listen to his tales of convoys and his time as a harbour master in some caribbean port, only realising at the end that he would have woven some lesson or other into the story which we would then be required to use in an exercise, either on a chart (Alisa Craig to the bloody foreland being a favourite) or in the jotters, pity i can remember none of it, cosign, secant and co-secant all just words now.
my point is you are only as old as you choose to be, I'm not ready for the tweed jacket and the pipe, when i was 16 my father was the same age as i am now, i have a 16yr old son who thinks i am old just as i thought my father to be old, the fact that i don't see myself as being "old" or middle aged has no bearing on the matter, its how others see you, not to be confuses with maturity, I'll never manage that, i wear my "you're worse than a wean" badge with not so much pride as proof that i am as young as i feel, today that's 83 but that's another story.
now that I've depressed everyone, you can carry on with your weekend, and remember the age you feel when you leave the house this weekend for a wee dram or a few pints with the lads, bears no relation to the age you'll feel next morning, that's your real age, get used to it!!!!

#87 westword

westword

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

should you cross your bridge when someone else ii burning it???
KILL EM ALL, LET GOD SORT EM OOT.

#88 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

depends on which end is burning? if its the end behind you then its you thats left with the choice, if its the end in front of you then the someone else has made the decision for you and left you behind

here endeth the lesson!!

yes, i have taken too many pills today

#89 Sweltered

Sweltered

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:58 AM

Perhaps this could be expanded upon and submitted to the Courier, or a newspaper. See, you let your guard down there and let everyone see that you're not a complete a**hole. I too have fond memories of Capt McCallum, one of the few gentlemen to grace the corridors of CGS. The navigation classes were long gone by the time I got there, but he took us for arithmetic for a while (in the music block for some reason!) Hard to believe that he was only 55 when he taught me, both he and John McKerral were old men. Both guaranteed to spin a yarn at the drop of a hat.
"Hanging is the outlaw's path to glory and much too good for the likes of you."

#90 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

He was involved with training schemes after that.I remember him up in Oban early 80s would it be,doing a fire fighting course. He organised a life-raft course for us as well,which was taken by another couple of lads,Eddie Stiven was one of them,cant mind the other.A very nice man he was too,very quiet spoken yet kept good control of us..a gentleman indeed. When we did the life-raft course up at the local pool,me being somebody who wanted a bit of realism (no to mention being a total eejit) decided to do it wearing a boiler suit,jeans and a heavy wooly jersey as the first thing they tell you is wear plenty of warm clothes before you go for the raft...wrong move.Two minutes in the pool and there was 50 gallons of water soaked intae the gansey and the sleeves were stretched a yard past my hands,what a bloody cairy on.As for getting into the raft? least said about that the better! I made it after a struggle but others had even more of a job with just swimming trunks on,so what would they have been like in a real situation?  All good fun at the time !!  

Reply to this topic