43 replies to this topic

#1 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

will have to go for a steiner then Ronnie ,when I was in the army ,we did a bit of our training at ITB Ouston an old air force base ,anyway there used to be this pub in the Metro ,an american theme bar who used to do jugs of beer/lager anyway when we first went there they used to ask how many glasses with the jug which held four pints ? our rebuttal just gie us however many jars if we want glasses we will tell you lol
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#2 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:30 PM

The army??...did the court gie ye the choice o' either boot camp or the jile that ye feenished up as a squaddie lol

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#3 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:33 PM

funnily you should mention that Ronnie lol
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#4 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:38 PM

My old man aye said that his two years national service in Germany was the best time he ever had Willie.Plenty beer and frauleins and no ower hard worked...compared tae the fishing that he had just come away from he said it was a doddle.

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#5 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:42 PM

Just shy of 3 Ronnie afore ma back jacked in and said fuck that lol,and the same I loved it and a lot of my mates fae school were in as weel so it wiz guid craic ,the battalion shinty team consisted of 11 Skye men and four mainlanders and we all played in the school team so the others were tresspassing on our group lol,think every one should do at least two years in service more if its penal reasons lol

#6 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:54 PM

Couldn't agree more Willie.If you leave school and don't have a job lined up,then it should be a wee spell in the services.A while in boot camp would be the making of them,take some o' the cockiness oot them and teach them a bit of respect and manners.

#7 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:00 PM

Put the boys that are knife merchants to the front line and see how they fare lol neen o this holiday camps at polmont or Glen Ochle wi their PS3s and 3 square meals laid on for them,fair enough it might make some worse but might give the others the chance todo something worthwhile with there lives afterwards ,as we used to say JOIN THE ARMY,MEET LOADS OF INTERESTING PEOPLE AND SHOOT THEM,the sound of a bullet above their heads or zipping past them would give them a reality check,or the chance to do an apprenticeship in something they wouldnt have thought about

#8 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:15 PM

Aye,at the risk of sounding cruel and unfeeling,why no send the thugs,knife wielders,granny bashers,paedos and general scumbags out as cannon fodder and save the decent ones that are taking the bullets just now(I'm a founder member of the "hang 'em and flog 'em party as if you didn't know !!)

#9 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:25 PM

Yep I totally agree with you there Ronnie but thats the same ones that would run a mile when the first gunshot report was heard the so called hard men of life NOT , They would probably try and get caught with the drug testing to get out but that shouldnt count for them only the enlisted men

#10 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:14 AM

the army or the fishing, either wan would break them, widna know a days hard work if it hit them in the face, mind you i'd send a lot of those civil service types to sea too, the penpushers that don't contribute to producing anything, even a shelf stacker in tesco is more worthy than the 300,000 extra civil servants that labour created in scotland since 1997, they'll soon be the only ones in work and they still complain about how much they get paid, the person sittin on their erse local to you sending oot threatening letters to pensioners aboot cooncil tax will be on £30,000 for a stert. as for your army arguement, if this country needs to be fighting a war theres overcrowded prisons that could supply the bodies, what puzzles me is the amount of ex servicemen that get into bother these days, i'm sure the men coming back fae the 39-45 never went on to commit crime at the level they do today, it said in the paper that 7% of all those banged up just now are ex servicemen, might not sound a lot but if you take it as a percentage of the armed forces then its huge!!! down this way its traditionlly been the ones from poorer families that signed up, they never left school and signed up, they'd been army cadets for years beforehand or sea cadets and joined the navy. wae some the cadets were unpaid babysitters, noo 75% of the weans fae the "poorer" part of town have ADD or are autistic, or what we used to call being just thick and i'm not joking, i have a nephew who is autistic so i know what it is for those who really have it, the local lot are mostly 4th generation scum, their great grandparents never worked and they've been brought up knowing how to fill in forms from the social before they can walk.  they hunt the local tesco in packs shoplifting, i was on the school attendance panel for 8 yrs and by the time i left i was seeing kids of ones i'd seen at the start, i'd been in school with the grandparents, career petty criminals, the local paper has more arrests for drugs than anything else every week.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#11 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:38 AM

You bring up ex servicemen in the nick Morris and its a valid point,a lot of the guys that leave even after a short period of like 5 years havent had to worry about accomodation and food and things during that time,and to an extent they become brain washed , and not being able to think for them selves ,the wife has even said it about MOI, but a lot of them are lost out in civvie street because its what they have known for awhile and some of the rules and regs  that the army has is draconian to say the least with them being able to charge and fine youfor being SUNBURNT for fecks sake but in the long term and it has been spouted for the building trade as well but who wants to share a room with a thief or the likes ,you need to be able to trust the man beside you but would you trust the likes of that alongside unless they did something like the Nazis did and had penal battalions full of crims but that wouldnt work either andas for 39-45 there probably was the same amount then who served in prisons for crime but as with the book No mean City "it never happened"
And yes I was a cadet for 4 years also and we were proud of it ,the island had abvout 60 cadets 15 years ago lucky if there is a 1/4 of that now

#12 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

the prison thing i think is more down to respect for others, back then there was more respect for your elders, the troops were maybe treated with more respect by the public, plus there were more jobs, most having been called up would have had a life before service, few would have been career military, plus a bit more humility, i had an uncle who was one of the last off dunkirk as he was a medic, another family friend escaped twice from POW camps, they never spoke about it, never saw themselves as heroes, now the attitude is so different. i'm saying that as someone who'd never serve, no matter what the circumstances, except to defend scotland from direct attack, but then who is going to attack us?

as for the cadet thing?,wee toon snobbery comes into play, the middle classes send kids to cubs and scouts, the snobs join the sailing club, only the sea cadets was mixed, needless to say i was none of the above, fitba and merr fitba, used to even take my boots to sea with me as it was straight off the boat and onto the pitch for under 16's after i left school, the crew liked the days i had a game as the old man wud come in early to land so i could play, then the whole non competative thing happened and for years there was no football at all till a local guy started the soccer centre, i used to do the MC at the annual soccer festival, he thought it safer than giving me a team to be in charge of, lot of snobbery in that too, if you didn't play for the local amatuer team you weren't quoted. i was gie wee at 16 and besides being at sea i had a band which took up all my spare time. very clique orientated football locally, i couldn't even get a game for the fishermens team till the old fla complained, so got one game, scored a hat trick and never got another game, the usual strikers played for the local amatuers, the pupils so noses were put out of joint at the wee skinny speccy kid showing them up. my boy had same trouble due to being shorter and skinnier than others tho the things he can do with a ba wid frighten you, he's jumped up in sizee in last year to 6ft 2 but disna play anymore, had a fallin out with the guy that ran school team who would arrange training for same nights as pipeband rehearsals, tellin them to pick which one they wanted to be involved with. now his own son is star player but he's spent his whole life with his old man picking him first and never being criticized while the rest got gutted, he'll get a fright directly when he discovers he's no more than average as a player, like his old man, but he played 2 games for morton so he must be good?
doon here its the weans that aren't involved in football, pipeband or brass band that are the vandals and troublemakers, nothing to focus on, bit harsh but they were born scum, to scum families, their family histories as a bad lot go back to my grandparents days, three generations to me, five or six to them, the females are pregnant by the time they reach 16, the males serve time by 20, not all of them but a good 80%, i was out after dark on saturday night, not too far from my house, only 10.30 at night, met three different groups of teens, the first never looked the road i was on, young lads my daughters age going home, the second, not much older, drunk, the oldest about 15 decided to shout abuse at me, there were only three of them so push comes to shove the biggest one would have got melted had the third lot not appeared, all members of the pipeband, they knew me as murray's faither and dispatched the drunks with a warning, point being theres a strict code of behaviour for the bands, step out of line and you are out, fall behind in school? your out, any behaviour that could reflect on the band and you get the boot instantly, it teaches them discipline at an early age that hopefully they'll maintain, they're not all angels, i know they've all experimented with drink, we all did, my fla had to get carried home once and was that drunk it wasn't worth giving him a hiding, i just didn't speak to him for three  weeks, he was that guilty he even changed friends, he still played football and that with them but stopped hanging about with them at weekends, mind you his mother told him she'd kill him if he did it again, his cousin came back from OZ a few months ago, two hours back and left the house with my boy, my fla went off to meet his girlfriend and an hour later his cousin was carried to my door to the throat, i had a hoose full oh wimmin including his mother(my wee sister) and his granny(my mother) i was that mad he got thrown in the door and then thrown into a corner, crackin his heid, promptly fell asleep and never woke till ten next mornin. point is, kids today think or rather don't  think, in my day coming in at 15 that drunk would have meant a bloody good hammering, so you didn't do it, nowadays they don't give a damn, i'd love to send the whole bloody lot oot on the clyde tomorrow with that forecast of rain and a good southerly gale, soon sort the men from the boys!!!!
that turned into a rant, didn't mean it to, its ah ronnie's fault, he stertit it, lock the knife carriers in a room with the hedge funders and give the survivors a job wiping auld folks arses, i told my two when the day comes that i canna wipe ma ain arse, shoot me, now whenever i go to the can, one will ask "manage the wipe ok?" where they get that sarcastic bit i do not know, must be their mother!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#13 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

By jeez yer fairly up and runnin' on the old soap-box there ma man...teperature gauge in the red sector,blood pressure through the roof,ye'll be lucky tae see tea-time if ye cairry on like that for too long!! It's very true though that some sections of the community are "career skivers" and come from a long line of them.Never work,never have worked,and have no intention of ever working,why should they when we support them quite literally from the cradle to the grave?As for respect with some of the youngsters(not all of them I hasten to add,there are some damn good kids out there,but sadly they don't get the same recognition as the neds and senga-neds)they couldn't spell the word "respect",never mind have any for their fellow human beings...ach,I could go on but I'm getting myself into grumpy mode,and one "greetin' faced auld bugger" on here is plenty is it no? !!!....Will we start a Victor Meldrew appreciation society,how does that grab ye?

#14 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:16 PM

Am to young ti be a Victor Meldrew yet lol but some of the ideas are spot on and you are right Ronnie the few bad apples spoil the barrel as far as kids are concerned ,but to many folk that shirk work and we end up supporting them wi oor taxes hae kids at 16  to get a hoose/flat and the buroo ,why should they work they think,what do we owe society it owes us ,it wasnt oor fault that there arent any jobs,BULLS**T the jobs are there if folk look for them ,I stay on an island where I would say at least 50% of working age dont work  and never have thats why so many Polaks come here because they know they can get jobs and benefits as well I suppose but the indigenous population dont help by not working and keeping pays up instead of companies getting away with paying minimum wages to Johny Foreigner ,it has set a trend when the employers know that the workers that they get from overseas get more work done for half the price and that is ruining the country and as soon as my sparkie training is over I will relocate elsewhere because Britain is screwed now

#15 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

you`s are fairly away with it the day boys-but i have to agree. jail should mean hard labour-chain gang stuff-hard beds and cold cells, slopping out and shit food and an odd hammering just for effect-and b******S to their so called human rights. they don`t give a monkeys about their victims human rights. instead what do they get better accomodation and food than they have at home all their needs pandered to and drugs freely available-if they were at large they would need to walk down the street to see the dealer-they can just pop into the next cell in jail fot their fix.and this is supposed to be a deterent to crime-jesus wept. it`s high time the powers that be stopped supporting the ned culture and started supporting the law abiding decent citizens instead. bad an all as scotland is ireland is far worse-the price of a contract killing is e1500. young lads in drug cartels running about with semi automatic and automatic weapons-parts of dublin and limerick nearly no go zones. murder a daily occurence so insignificant now it hardly makes the front page of the paper.-hard labour for the lot of them.-now you`s have me away on one as well!
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#16 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

jeez oh boys whos got the tallest box today ;D????? but i agree with you's totally(not going ot start saying anything cause between you's you have said it all)

#17 3762dazzer

3762dazzer

Mate

• Moderators
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

Good site chaps, can't find a Doric translator on Google so have no idea what is being said ???

You're boys are obviously enjoying it, which is nice  ;)

[move]Keep up the good work ;D[/move]

#18 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

Some of us on here havenae got a clue what we're saying anyway dazzer,so I wouldnae worry too much about no having a command of the Doric...that isnae a drawback lol

#19 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

just for the record i'd only just been to see my diabetics nurse afor i wrote that last bit and she'd taken the blood pressure 120 over 80 which is perfect, never goes up at all, my resting heart rate is between 46 - 52, so i could fool a blin doctor i was a superfit athlete as long as he didna poke my belly, i'm a medical anomoly, your blood glucose is supposed to go up during times of stress but mine goes thru the floor, likewise its supposed to come down with exercise but mine goes up!! i take enough pills every day to kill a junkie yet my kidneys and liver are brand new, 20 a day not done any harm either, so far, good job i don't drink, other than the 20 cups of strong coffee a day. among the carradale skippers i was christened "the cucumber" and no, not for the reasons i would have liked but as in "cool as a" for some reason they thought i never lost my temper and never got stressed, probably why i ended up with MS which some doctors say is a stress related illness, i did find myself feeling worse when my mothers illness was at its worst stage and my glucose levels would go hypo after visiting her in hospital, i relieve the stress by ranting on here and other places in the past, one of the crosses you have to bear when you have an opinion on absolutely everything, my mother claims the phrase "start a fight in an empty hoose" was coined with me in mind, she got a visit from a meenister last week and he asked if she was relatedto me, she immediately asked "what do i have to apologise for?" turned out he had been on the local primary school board with me three years ago, some people have no faith in you!!!!
same with the boy just turned 16 and lookiing for a partime job, his mother tells him, "don't mention your father" when he goes to local businesses to see if they need a part timer. wonder where she gets the idea that i've fallen out with everyone? i keep telling him he's bloody lucky i'm naw still at the fishing, he'd be out tailing prawns every school holiday, cleaning out wheelhouses and fo'csles every weekend, he claimed that would be slave labour but he would be working, earning money, when i was his age i got up at 6.30 every morning, went and delivered milk, then went to a butchers to deliver meat afor going home and catching the 8.30 bus to school, then back to the butchers after school for more deliveries and then cleaning up all the chopping boards and knives etc, on a saturday it was down to the boat to clean the wheelhouse and fo'csle and deliver the stores list to the grocers, and i left school at 15 and went to sea, now they can sit on their arse and get up to £30 a week just to stay in school till they are 18!! his sister is only 12 and she has spent the last week cleaning and oiling baking trays at the local bakery, standing in for somebody older, she was doing 90 trays in two hours and they asked her if she'd come back for the midnight shift at the weekend, not that she could of course as she shouldn't even be there at 12, i'm waiting to see what she got paid for her 12.5 hrs but its an example of attitude, she's keen to work and he can't be arsed, "i have an important social life" is his excuse, tho the pipeband does take up a lot of time and highers and stuff but you'll never see him get his hands dirty, but its a whole new world, there wasn't a single apprenticeship for school leavers in the town this summer, not one, when i left school everyone walked into a job, at the clothing factory, now demolished cos jeager decided there was more profit in getting the work done in morrocco, the ship yard, now demolished as mainland european countries were giving their yards massive subsidies and even with the reputation for excellence campbeltown shipyard couldn't compete. there might be one or two jobs in the building trades as theres a massive building project going on locally but when its complete will there be work for any youngsters taken on just now? even whats left of the local fleet has more and more flip crewmen, i was down the quay on sunday morning and of the people i met only one was a local crewman, the rest were all live aboard phillapino crewmen, when i left school there were six aboard our boat, four men on a full share, my older brother on three quarters and myself on half, i quickly learned to mend and take a turn at the wheel, knowing it was the only way i'd get a full share, one of two non family members left as he thought a 17 yr old shouldn't be getting a full share, now you wouldn't get a 16 yr old to come aboard for less!!! i was told that some boats have to stick the net on the quay and get a retired fisherman to mend it as nobody aboard some boats can even mend!!! don't think i could work with a crew that you couldn't trust to take the wheel for an hour or two towing or steaming. i was skippering my fathers boat fullltime at 22, and i don't think i was unusual among family  boats, i can think of a handful of others who did likewise, now its an exception and the member we like to make fun of is very nearly unique in recent years, the job could do with a few more like him, that'll make that big bul heid oh his even bigger!!! in otherwords the majority of todays youth are lazy buggers unless not surprisingly they come, much as it pains me to say, from the farming community.

#20 Guest_John Baird_*

Guest_John Baird_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:27 AM

Jaysus Quiet Waters...,I ve learned one thing... you are some scribe .. The next time i plan to write a book , You,ll get the nod . What you say is abolutely spot on . When i was 14 i was digging coal out of a coal boat in Letterkenny for 10 bob a day .  Tell any o they young uns now about manual labour and they think you,re talking about a bloody Spaniard ( Christ ,,I might get banned for insulting the Dagos!!!). :'(

#21 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:16 PM

i'm trying to ease the members into my normal length of post slowly, i used to upset some members of my local forum who thought them overlong, regardless of wether they agreed with the content, which the complainers usually didn't, but thats the joy of debate the whole bloody point, if everybody agrees its not a forum, telling some to go and look the word up before they join one went down even better. the benefit of this site is a common enemy, differences of opinions will in all likeliehood be kept to a minimum. post some of the stuff from here elsewhere and you'd have the nitpickers and troublemakers crawling out of the woodwork with their personal attacks. you'll have noticed already its a friendly bunch here, one or two bad apples or black fish as i prefer to call them, but they haven't shown their hand yet.

#22 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

Totally agree, if you look at the number of posts 792 we have had in a fortnight, compared to the number of " You are not allowed an opinion" site has only got 3932 posts and considering the fact it has been going a while, not sure exactly sure.  I think it proves the point debate and freedom of speech has always been and will continue to be the route forward
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#23 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

But always within the boundaries of the current libel laws we hope lol

#24 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:52 PM

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOUSE HAVE SAID BUT THERE ARE A A FEW BAD APPLES WHICH SPOIL IT FOR EVERY OTHER KID OUT THERE LIKE ME BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO ABOUT IT

#25 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

Knoxy has your keyboard got the CAPS lock super glued on??
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#26 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

MABY SHOULD I change it

#27 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

The capital letters are of great benefit to the older members of the site who's eyesight is maybe not quite what it used to be ...(like me !!)

#28 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

well should that be added to the site rules(all members must type in caps lock)

#29 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:33 PM

You're all right for the time being kid,but if my eyesight gets any worse I'll let you know.

#30 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:42 PM

OK BTU I HAVE TO SAY I FORGOT THERE ARNT REALLY ANY REAL RULES ON HERE. ONLY STUFF THAT IS COMMON SENCE

Reply to this topic