TRAWLERMAN SKIPPER HOPES TO NET ROLE AS MP!!!

21 replies to this topic

#1 BUDDING PETE

BUDDING PETE

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

It has been announced today that skipper Jimmy Buchan of the Peterhead
fishing vessel Amity has been selected as the Conservative candidate for
Banff and Buchan.

#2 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

Bit more on the story
[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7814147.stm

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#3 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

It has been announced today that skipper Jimmy Buchan of the Peterhead
fishing vessel Amity has been selected as the Conservative candidate for
Banff and Buchan.

Conservative??? - heaven help us  :D

#4 aitivated

aitivated

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Should this not be in the next topic on the page?

#5 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hi All

Just to add to the story:

http://www.pressandj...021353?UserKey=

#6 Martin Johns

Martin Johns

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

Hopefully then, the current shower of incompetent sh#te will get ousted at the next election & we'll actually get a fisheries minister who knows about the industry.  ;)

#7 boat happy

boat happy

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:47 AM

he would make good MP  he wiill no what he talking about
fishermens friends

#8 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

The story rumbles on..............  ;)

http://www.eveningex...025628?UserKey=

#9 Baskets16

Baskets16

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMoon

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

is he still fishing?

#10 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

didn't realise we had farmers on this site? claiming that somehow jimmy buchan's standing as a tory will result in a fisheries minister who knows what he is talking about!!! i didn't realise that he had such influence that he can affect the result of an election just because he featured in a telly show which was edited to make it look as if he was scaling everest in a hurricane with one hand tied behind his back, when all he was doing was towing for prawns like hundreds of others, what a prat, and he's confirmed it with his decision to stand as a tory, does he realise that he is seen as a joke figure to viewers not connected to the industry?
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#11 pmac

pmac

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationisle of wight

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

you have to hand it to him he is giving up an easy stress free life for a career that has a low income and no perks.you have to remember that if elected his sole purpose is to make our lives better.cod help us.

#12 homeward bound

homeward bound

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

MAYBE HE WILL TAKE IRISH KEVIN  WITH HIM AS SPEECH WRITER AS HE WOULD BE WELL QUALIFIED IN THE S**TE TALKING DEPARTMENT WHICH IS REQUIRED TO BE AN M.P ,  >:(

#13 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

Makes you wonder whether he will speak up and champion the Fishing Industry cause if and when he becomes an MP. The Internet is littered with comments from Jimmy as to what, how and when Central Government should deal with the Industry, so lets hope he is a man of his words  >:(

#14 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

Cant see Banff and Buchan voting a Tory in again ,been an SNP stronghold for long enough and I might be wrong but the last time a Tory was there was Patrick Woolrich Gordon back in the old days
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#15 pmac

pmac

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationisle of wight

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

if elected ist thing would be to see commons catering manager to get him to put his lovely amity prawns on the menu(according to him they are the best prawns you can get .)then off to see iff he can claim expense for amity as a second home.

#16 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

Can jist see it noo, tied alongside the Belfast on the river lol
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#17 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:10 PM

What is it about this site and putting people down.I have never met the man in my life,like most of youse im sure.Did any of you consider that the makers of the series are mabye getting them to play things up a bit for the ordinary man in the street.If anything JB has helped us all by getting a bit more of a sympathetic ear with Joe public.Some of you want to get a life.

#18 pmac

pmac

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationisle of wight

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

oh dear we are a grumpy skipper, just a bit of light hearted banter,dont take life so serious.if he gets elected he will get more crap thrown at him than whats on here.

#19 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

Well said Bob,
I do know Jimmy in his role as chairman of the SFO and can assure everyone he goes that extra mile for everyone in the organisation especially the younger skippers.
Though I do not agree with his politics I would say from my limited experience he will do an excellent job representing his constistucy IF elected and highlight the problems facing the industry.

#20 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hi All

Just wondering if Jimmy does become a MP, will he be the first Ex Trawlerman to sit in the Houses of Parliament?

#21 pmac

pmac

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationisle of wight

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

i hope that if elected he does make a good mp,the same goes for every one who is elected,the majority whom seem to forget where they came from as soon as they are in the commons.as for having a fisherman mp it wont make a bit of difference as fishing is now ruled by europe.all our mp,s can vote on now is bills to make a fishermans life more difficult,ie the marine bill etc etc etc.

#22 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

in the words of rab c nesbitt "its like that is it?" i as a card carrying SNP member and ex fisherman view anyone connected with the industry who stands as a tory for any office is a traitor to his fellow fishermen, if you have to go as far back as ted heath signing away our waters and stocks or highlight any fisheries minister since who has used said stocks as a bargaining chip to get a better deal for the farmers then any trawlerman who stands as a tory or labour candidate is turning his back on the industry, and anyone thinking that the electing of one such person will bring anything but a cheap publicity stunt and nothing more is sadly deluded. until the holyrood elected representative sits in brussels with an equal voice nothing will change and electing someone because he was on the telly is just another example of the state this country has sunk to, reality tv MSP's, why don't you get jade goody to be first minister while you're at it?

several post while i was writing, didn't read them in the hurry to post and get something sweet before i pass oot, i'm sure he would be a great man for his own lot, and do his utmost for those in the area and the industry, the type who never join in when others are blockading or marching, he might himself and sounds like the type who would judging by all i've seen and read about him but have influence? aye right, you've had the bit on the evening news asking yer first question in the house and we've seen the joke pic of you with your prawns in the parly dining room, now sit down and shut up, theres a serious farming lobby we have to keep sweet!!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

Reply to this topic