#1 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

wy dont u ask all secreterys of branches 2 have there bit where they inforum everyone wats going on in meetings nets days at sea creels and so on
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#2 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

anybody any idea was there any changes in the dogfish by-catch carry on??
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#3 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

Never heard Frank, hope there was. Its just rediculous that 5% bycatch.

#4 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:17 PM

aye kev-i bought the licence to target them, was to be our main fishing and the place down here fair living with them at times. wouldn`t need many shots of them on top of everything else to make a nice handy living.

#5 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

Aye got ye Frank, not so good espcially after buying a licence, we never see very much of them, maybe at this time of the year we would get a 4/5 boxes for your day, its not a lot but it fair adds to the pay at the end of the trip. Even if we had a big day at the prawns, we wouldnt be able to land a full box of dogs,

#6 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:05 AM

aye, absolute madness-having to dump good fish and as usual no scientific evidence to back the ban. they were scarce on this coast for years but they have made a quick comeback and would have been a viable small boat fishing for a couple of summer months.

#7 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

Heard it is going up to 10% bycatch, still hopeless as it is either feast or famine with dogs, here today and gone tomorrow,
Cod, haddies and whiting are now on a 30% bycatch for Nethrop trawlers Area V1, this is 10% cod + haddies + whiting giving a 30% total.
Think it will be difficult to get the office wallas in Edinburgh to go above the single 4mm with double 4mm chafer in 80mm cod-ends for the wee boats, 120mm SMP twine size still unknown, so imagine there will be big demand for mini tyres for the 80mm cod-ends in the small boat sector. still havent heard if there will be extra kw hours given if you were to shift to bigger SMP , that I would imagine would be 160mm as it is easiest to get.
The kw hours is another worry as there are going to be winners and losers in that.
Told today the net boys are up in arms as they are now left with bale upon bale of now useless and worthless 70mm netting.
All in all, another right good shafting for all concerned.
The only good thing I heard from Brussels was that Patrick our secretary stayed to the bitter end, so 10 out of 10 for him

#8 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:06 AM

don't get many reports about him since he retired from the firm, my wife has worked for him for 26yrs.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#9 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

well i no from using a 80mm single 4mm twin start of year wee will catch less in poor weather and do alot more damage 2 codend john no feckin use single 5mm twin would do im sure most twin riggers down here would be happy with single 5 as what they are using just now double 4 as its cheeper 2buy and over the coarse of year u wouldnt burn as much fuel since wee put them on shangrila u burn more fuel

#10 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:09 PM

I would have thought with the market the way it is you guys would be happy to catch a small percentage less bulk which would be flechs anyway.Most of the single guys up here work 80s and have said for a long time they would never go back to 70s.

#11 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

id be happy 2 go 2 80 if it was 5mm twin

#12 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

The North Minch twin riggers near enough all work 100mm,

#13 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

i but double prob ive seen the diffrence way 80mm 2 100mm double this year and last year and theres not much diffrence in quality off prawns unless a poor day

#14 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

If you read the reports from the scientists Ricki it said that the 100s caught 65% less undersize prawns.That is not the point i was making tho.If everybody did a wee bit to help instead of expecting everyone else to do the conservation thing we wouldnt have the market in the piggin mess it is the now.

#15 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

well i never seen much diffrence likes of in the flat down here u were getting as much bulk o crap as u were with 80 but no where ur coming from bob if next year there was a count put on tails say 80 or even 100 it would help alot as wee all no the man that was taking tails counting 100 too 160 was mixing them but it takes the men in wheelhouse 2 put a stop 2 it aslong as the men running the prawns are getting there boxes they dont care but there only thinking of short term not long term alot o folk will be anoyd at what im saying next but its true wy put 6 flips on deck 2 tail everything and feck the market wen u could get 2 keep them bettr save evryones future bit of thought and ull have a future

#16 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

Jesus cooo i no its xmas and all that but try and no speak any more sense afore the new year i couldnt handle agreeing wi u twice in a year.

#17 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

sorry bob dont no wat happened there lol when it comes 2 my future its ma kids future 2 bob and i would like 2 spend rest of my working life at sea but if folk dont start thinking off future there will be no future things r bad enough with changing gear all the time without feckin the market up cut the flips down it will cut ur grossing but at end off day give u more years at sea

#18 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

its has got to be an effort from all sides in that respect the buyer has to say no that is my limit anything below that is either returned or it gets paid a pound a kilo or somet and the skippers have to take some responsibilty for the crew who they have told to keep the selections

the man on the quay side should be lableing the boxes as weighed and counted from the boats as is

#19 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

i ur right jammy but none of the men tat run the prawns around these areas will turn round and say na cant take them with price of fuel 4 them they need every box again not thinking of future it will take buyers 2 make a stop 2 it skippers wont some depend on the wee stuff but if they cut flips down they wouldnt need 2 gross as much yes it will take a extra few years 2 pay boats or modifications but would that not be better as being tied up a year or 2 down line

#20 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

as i siad rikki the buyers have to do there bit along wiht the skippers

prob will end up pie in the sky but if there is no market for the stuff its no good landing them that small

#21 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

do u think scotprime and the main shegit runner slidery will stop taking them counting over 100 this summer i think not

#22 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:20 PM

scotprime had a count o 100 this year
and we got shafted from the processor with them dropping the price even tho all the boats done there best to keep the agreement

#23 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

i smell shegit there jammy ive seen wat gets landed in our own port and urs and theres certain boats that r over 100

#24 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

can only speak for myself and i think robbi was much the same as us but he can comfirm that

#25 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

never said u or robi jammy i love scotprime jack not mentionin any boats but it is happening and has 2 stop

#26 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:49 PM

Ure like a pair o wee girls arguing over a dolly.Basically the prob is,apart from the credit crunch that too many small prawns nack the market.If they dont come aboard you dont see them and dont blind them and dont kill them.The CFA have for years voted against everyone else on the W coast to put the mesh size up.If people didnt catch 160s to the lb they wouldnt land them an u pair woudnt be bitchn bout who has the smallest ----.

#27 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:58 PM

tats not really fair on my part id be happy 2 go up 2 80 as i said already 5mm twine or 100 5mm twine and my tails r never over 80

#28 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:20 PM

only having my opinion on what has done the market in at the end of this year robert

we have kept our stuff to under the 100 's this year slush ice on them and traceability but we still got shafted by the processor that was taking them from scotprime

#29 clonker

clonker

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

the job's hooped...........
get out while..(IF) you can....
ar**holes in p/weem landin over 100 to the count an that's whole prans am talkin aboot!!!

#30 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:51 PM

dont think u should be calling men ass.... chief but surely u cant land whole prawns counting 100 that must be red shrimp nae way man

Reply to this topic