May be of interest?

http://www.pressandj...997898?UserKey=

#2 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

the BBC have obviously think theres only one port in scotland, much as i enjoy the programs i'd like to see skippers who haven't had a personality bypass, no offence but jimmy's blog is still advertised on another site yet he hasn't written anything on it in over a year, never replied to emails sent to him either, also i've never seen any of them get involved with either of the trawler sites, have they all gone showbiz? can we really take another series of skippers doing their dads army private fraser impressions?
don't get me wrong, i love the series, i've even lobbied the BBC for several years asking why the industry doesn't have a countryfile/landward style magazine program of its own, building on the popularity of the trawlermen series. i email all the department heads on a regular basis and never get a proper reply, they all pass the buck to someone else!!! i just wish they'd expand the program, no offence but is this the most interesting skippers scotland have to offer? i like them but it will just be more of the same i'm afraid, a weekly or monthly magazine program could visit a different port every week, all round the UK, covering the whole industry on land and sea, all this "will jimmy damage his nets in the devils hole" false drama is so passe' to be honest i find myself laughing at some of the "dangers" they get into, and left speechless at the ineptitude of certain people that were featured, be honest, there was a boat featured on the last series with a skipper and crew who came across as being completely clueless and accident prone. if thats what they are looking for they should bring their cameras to the clyde!!!!
still i can't wait to see it!!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#3 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

the BBC have obviously think theres only one port in scotland, much as i enjoy the programs i'd like to see skippers who haven't had a personality bypass, no offence but jimmy's blog is still advertised on another site yet he hasn't written anything on it in over a year, never replied to emails sent to him either, also i've never seen any of them get involved with either of the trawler sites, have they all gone showbiz? can we really take another series of skippers doing their dads army private fraser impressions?
don't get me wrong, i love the series, i've even lobbied the BBC for several years asking why the industry doesn't have a countryfile/landward style magazine program of its own, building on the popularity of the trawlermen series. i email all the department heads on a regular basis and never get a proper reply, they all pass the buck to someone else!!! i just wish they'd expand the program, no offence but is this the most interesting skippers scotland have to offer? i like them but it will just be more of the same i'm afraid, a weekly or monthly magazine program could visit a different port every week, all round the UK, covering the whole industry on land and sea, all this "will jimmy damage his nets in the devils hole" false drama is so passe' to be honest i find myself laughing at some of the "dangers" they get into, and left speechless at the ineptitude of certain people that were featured, be honest, there was a boat featured on the last series with a skipper and crew who came across as being completely clueless and accident prone. if thats what they are looking for they should bring their cameras to the clyde!!!!
still i can't wait to see it!!!!

Hi QW

Reckon that its a cheap series to make following its 'standard format', probably has a loyal 'fan/viewers base' and best of all for the Beeb, they can sell the program overseas - USA, Oz, repeat it on Sky/Cab;le/Freeview/Iplayer etc. So I suppose the Beeb see it as a success - one things for sure, it isn't aimed at the 'professional trawlerman' audience.

Problem I would imagine with creating a program aimed at the industry is how wide is that audience and what would the viewing figures be?

#4 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

trawlermen has built up an audience for such programs along with the deadliest catch programs so how big an audience would justify it as a success? look at some of the crap that is on air already, apparently jonathon ross only gets 2-3 million on a friday night and its supposed to be a hit program.
how many watch farming programs? and they have been running for years, they feature fishing from time to time but always from the enviromental side and never make any attempt to give the fishermans point of view. i pay £140 a year for the beeb to waste on complete sh!te, some of those comedy shows they have i could write better while having a sh!te
even with the news of the new quotas the tv reports are taking the greenpeace "this is a disaster" viewpoint.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

Reply to this topic