Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

Any members using Adobe Photoshop?

Just wondered if it was worth buying, i dont really do much editing, only things i ever really do straighten the horizon and crop a wee bit, Googles Picasa does me fine for that. Its a free download available from Google.

#2 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

Any members using Adobe Photoshop?

Just wondered if it was worth buying, i dont really do much editing, only things i ever really do straighten the horizon and crop a wee bit, Googles Picasa does me fine for that. Its a free download available from Google.

Hi Kev

I've got Adobe Photoshop on my PC but find that it is far too complicated for my needs - I use Paint Shop Pro XI and find that it does everything that  I want it to when it comes to photograph manipulation. I did try the latest version of PSP - COREL PAINT SHOP PRO X2 but found that it struggled on my PC.

If you do want something 'stronger' than Picasa, then I would tend to go with PSP or perhaps ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 7 (£73.89  on Ebay). You can pick up COREL PAINT SHOP PRO X2 on Ebay for £29.99.

#3 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

If you want all the bells and whistles you can possibly get with an image editor photoshop is the only answer.  I work with adobe a lot (beta testing/training & development)

one feature more than anything that I would suggest most people get to grips with is adjusting levels to balance exposure of an image, the auto level feature produces remarkable results

just grabbed this image at random:

http://www.trawlerpi...sa=view;id=5433

and ran the auto level feature  ended up as

http://ebgb.net/misc/levelled.JPG

that said though, it ain't cheap.......  but if you wan't a copy, just for 'evaluation' of course  ;D  let me know!

#4 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

i never really played about with the photos much before getting the mac mark just use the i photo it does what i want  hehe straighten crop and i can tweak the colour a wee bit as you can see from some of my pics i have made errors and messes with

what would you recommend for the mac's

#5 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

Thanks Steve and Mark, just been on the Adobe website and you can get a free trial for a month, ill download it and see how i get on.

#6 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

Thanks Steve and Mark, just been on the Adobe website and you can get a free trial for a month, ill download it and see how i get on.

when the trial runs out 'we have the technology' to turn into a full version  ;D

#7 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

when the trial runs out 'we have the technology' to turn into a full version  ;D
You are a bad man Mark lol did "get" the full photo shop program but for some reason the key never worked so got rid of again but good technology is great for that sort of thing
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#8 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

iwhat would you recommend for the mac's

Hi James

And the answer is:

Posted Image

#9 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

If you want all the bells and whistles you can possibly get with an image editor photoshop is the only answer.  I work with adobe a lot (beta testing/training & development)

one feature more than anything that I would suggest most people get to grips with is adjusting levels to balance exposure of an image, the auto level feature produces remarkable results

just grabbed this image at random:

http://www.trawlerpi...sa=view;id=5433

and ran the auto level feature  ended up as

http://ebgb.net/misc/levelled.JPG

that said though, it ain't cheap.......  but if you wan't a copy, just for 'evaluation' of course  ;D  let me know!

Hi Mark

If you are just into photography manipulation - post production work, wouldn't you agree that Photoshop is too heavy with features that wouldn't be used? - I tried with it but just couldn't get away with the process's and techniques that it uses. Price wise, phew, a non starter for most Joe Public's  ;D

#10 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

ignore steve, he's just in denial about the 'dark side'

iPhoto is a pretty good app for cataloging and minor corrections, way better than most similar alternatives (on either side of the fence)

Aperture on the mac takes iPhoto severals steps further, with lots more retouching capabilities, aimed very much at the pro photographer

for most people, I would say get a version of photoshop that is a few behind - version 7 or 8, a lot of whats new in the creative suite versions you'd probably never touch

#11 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

If you are just into photography manipulation - post production work, wouldn't you agree that Photoshop is too heavy with features that wouldn't be used? - I tried with it but just couldn't get away with the process's and techniques that it uses. Price wise, phew, a non starter for most Joe Public's  ;)

not at all, colour correction, accuracy and consistency in photoshop will beat any other package out there apart from Barco systems (£50k plus!)

and the batch processing capabilities are second to none IMHO

all of those things have been set in stone since about version 5, so for most anything around 5 6 or 7 version wise will do everything they need and be infinitely superior to the latest version of anything else

#12 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

ignore steve, he's just in denial about the 'dark side'

Hi Mark

Well at least I have recommended recycling  ;)

#13 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

not at all, colour correction, accuracy and consistency in photoshop will beat any other package out there apart from Barco systems (£50k plus!)

and the batch processing capabilities are second to none IMHO

all of those things have been set in stone since about version 5, so for most anything around 5 6 or 7 version wise will do everything they need and be infinitely superior to the latest version of anything else

Hi Mark

So probably for a photographer - ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 7 would be sufficient and saving a heck of a lot of money over the full blown product?

#14 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:31 PM

Unless you know where to look ;)
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#15 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

Unless you know where to look :o

Well that certainly wouldn't be at PC World  ;)

#16 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

aye I agree with you there ;) definateley cheaper places  on the net  :o

#17 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:43 PM

aye I agree with you there ;) definateley cheaper places  on the net  :D

Or even cheaper on a cover disc  :o

#18 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

aye I agree with you there ;) definateley cheaper places  on the net  :D

Or even cheaper on a cover disc  :o
Do yyou still use discs i like bits and image mounting lol :D

#19 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:49 PM

aye I agree with you there :o definateley cheaper places  on the net  :D

Or even cheaper on a cover disc  :D
Do yyou still use discs i like bits and image mounting lol :D

I don't even buy Computer Magazines these days - used to buy the PC Format every month but I then realised that my sysytem was so far behind the modern day standards that I gave up  ;)

#20 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

Unless you know where to look ;)

or who to ask !  :o

#21 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

yep that too but like surfing certyain maritime crime sites to find what I need  ;)

#22 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:00 AM

the wife uses photoshop at work so i'll just get her to bring the disc home for xmas, just so i can read the case and see what it says of course, i have ulead photo express which came with the laptop, its ok but any pic i've been bothered about enough to do anything with the end result hasn't been any better.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#23 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Got to do some 'proper' work this week, so finally got around to installing the CS4 suite which has been sat here for 2 months -

clicked the esay install option...  requires 23Gig of disk space   :knuppel2: ;D

#24 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

Got to do some 'proper' work this week, so finally got around to installing the CS4 suite which has been sat here for 2 months -

clicked the esay install option...  requires 23Gig of disk space   :knuppel2: ;D

How many discs was that on again Mark  ;D

#25 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

clicked the esay install option...  requires 23Gig of disk space   :idiot2: :crazy2:

How many discs was that on again Mark  :crazy2:

7,584 floppies......

or 5 dvd's

#26 mecca

mecca

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:12 PM

http/thepiratebay.org
geordie mecca

#27 DOGSBODY

DOGSBODY

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationSUNDERLAND

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

I HAVE MICROSOFT PICTURE IT, FOR BASICS LIKE CROPPING, RESIZING etc.. I FIND IT OK,

ANYONE WANT A COPY GIVE ME A SHOUT. :idiot2: :crazy2: :crazy2:
Paul...shyboy...Johnson.

Reply to this topic