#1 simonb

simonb

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationfalmouth

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:37 PM

Hi everyone, just found this site, seems like a good place to get some info! I live on a boat in Falmouth, Cornwall, work as a gardener for the local council, but fished for a living for 7 or 8 years in North Devon. Dont know why it says fisheries officer on my profile tho...
Anyway, will peruse the forums for a bit and undoubtedly put up a few posts asking daft questions...
Cheers, Simon

#2 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

hey simon you are a FO on here till you make a post then you become a deckie and so on as you post it goes to a different title
hope you enjoy the site
james

#3 simonb

simonb

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationfalmouth

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

Ahh, I see! Well first daft question, part of my oil cooler on my Bedford GM466 has split. Unfortunately, it's a cast bronze end cap near the header tank. If I could get the bolts undone I may be able to get it repaired. I've tried plusgas and WD40 but no success yet. Is it wise to run the engine carefully and see if allowing it to warm up a little will release the bolts? Any advice gratefully recieved....
Probably wont have chance to post again til after Xmas, so have a goodun everyone!

#4 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

Simon, get a hold of a mini butane torch and heat them up, just before the start glowing, then shock them with cold water, should free them up.  Just make sure the casing is not overly heated as it may crack due to the cold shock.  Try localise the heat to the bolts themselves, maybe get a bit of bronze and drill the size of the bolt head out it or slightly oversized this will allow the heat to go to the bolt but not spread to the casing
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

Reply to this topic