lets here the stories form yester year boys

#2 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

Ats asking a bittie much , folk o Ronnies age can hardly remember yesterDAY let alone yesteryear lol
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

well no trying to put to fine a pint on it ronnie must be about our commodore on here???

#4 Sweltered

Sweltered

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

I will gladly accept "donations" towards the telling of QW stories
"Hanging is the outlaw's path to glory and much too good for the likes of you."

#5 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

now this could start a family war two borthers on one site telling stories ???? and the only saving grace there on opposite sides of the ocean hahahahah

#6 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

i think stories from his time as a FO in Scrabster and Ullapool would be of more interest? especially if any of the members ever crossed his path, i know my older brother has plenty from his days in Peterhead, a few that would rattle a few cages
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#7 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

he widnae be een ot the FOs that Chat chased off the Endevour wi a bot o chain then in PD QW
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#8 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:30 PM

don't think there'd be anybody chasin oor davi anywhere, he's a sixth dan black belt in karate and tae kwon do, the fact he's only 5ft 7 wid mebbe give some the impression they could handle him but it wid take a gie foolish man to try, he's 48 and can still do the splits, he taught in peterhead when he was there, had his own school in oban when he lived in tayinoult when he worked on the scottish fishing weekly, another down here when he worked for the social for a while and has a school teaching his own style in dunoon now. saying that i could still take him, he always was a sucker for someone lefthanded, he used me as an example teaching pupils at his class in the toon one night, told me to throw a punch at him, i duly decked him, he got up rubbing his chin and said "use the other hand!!!" he was ready to defend against a righthanded punch, and you think he'd have known, afterall i've only been his brother all my life!!!! if you look on youtube under campbeltown,kung fu you'll see a movie we made when we were kids, its off an 8mm quality is rubbish but i reckon i must have been 11 or 12 at the time, nae front teeth and specsaver glesses!!!

is that the time? i'm off for mair chinese arts, acupuncture on my shooder, good job jonah is naw aboot, he wiz payin for his, i get mine for free from the lassie roon the corner who is the local physio, she's tried everything else, i'm like a walking tommy cooper impersonator wae a tens machine hooked up to it all day every day, shooders jerkin non stop, its laik carryin two 56ers aboot ah the time.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#9 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:55 PM

Better staying on the deck Knoxy,far mair fun there than being in the dookit,and besides,ye dinnae want a big belly wi' sitting aboot all day and grey hair wi worry (or nae hair at all efter ye've torn it all oot wi even mair worry) lol

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#10 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

OK YOUR RIGHT BUT THE TOPIC HAS BEEN MOVED

#11 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

You have to allow for the older members like me being a lot slower than you young fellas and getting mixed up more often!!

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#12 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

LOL IT IS HARD SOMETIMES FOR US YOUNG YINS TO KEEP UP ASWELL

#13 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Well ye see young Knoxy,us aulder lads have a wheen o' information stashed away in oor heids...the only trouble is we havenae got a clue what bit o' oor heid we stashed it in !!

#14 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

same with me i have lodes of stuff up there just not able to remember where up there it is

#15 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

well yr i wish fishing was as much crack as it was in ur day ive been fishing 4 15y full time and there no where near the crack there was then as now i always hear the yarns fae the herring and bein stuck in drawl ports way 20 boats and let good times roll now ur lucky 2 get 4boats at likes o gigha craig house an no1 goes up 4 crack 10 year ago wee used 2 be up at gigha pier doze o us a laugh a yarn then ud grt traper comin down about 11 fae old anguses after drams an tell everyon richt u bastards get 2 ur bed drawl boys walking away sniggerin lol ;D :-[
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#16 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

Jeezo Ricki,I'm no THAT old !!! When I started in 1966 I got £2-50 for my first wage(2 days work on a half share)and I thought I was doing well.But you are bang on there...the "craic" aint the same as it was nowadays.Things have become too serious,no time for a "terr" now,and we are the worse for it.But that's just the way it goes...they call it progress ??

#17 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

not much progress the now yr ur still young at heart could gie yea blonde hair lippy an big hooters if ya want lol

#18 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:00 PM

was he still at that malarky the trapper? we used to go up to the hotel for a pint and it shut at 10pm, ali the barman would take us back to his hoose and make us a curry, then entertain us on a big church organ playing showtunes!!! or the odd party in the boathoose doon at the slip, a few game lassies in those days, nae names!!!!!!
we might even hae a game oh football in the field at the pierhead, 11 aside too!!! craighooses was better, shorter walk and they had a pool table but goin in there wiz laik the bar scene at the beginning of "american werewolf in london" i got thrown out once cos a local came over and said "you're not from around here, are you?" i replied "neether are you, wae that accent, your just a feckin white settler!!!" sna ba wanted to stiffen him, but i pointed out there were three of us and about twenty of them and if we got into wan srap we'd only get another fae the old man for upsettin the locals, besides i was only 16 and he wid get an even bigger doin for buying me drink!!!
other nights we'd wait for the trapper to go up to angus's and go aboard for a game oh cards, he was wile superstitious aboot things like havin cards aboard a boat, he reufused to lend me some salt wance when i was ayoung fla, said it was unlucky, i said i was prepared to take the risk but he said it was hime would get the bad luck, i told him he would go thru life as a wamker wether he gave me the salt or not!!!! auld puggy came to the rescue and gave me salt as a present, said it wiz only unlucky to lend it, not if it was given as a present. trapper is wile for things like that, he popped in to see my mother the other sunday to find me lying on her hospital bed, she wiz in her wheelchair and i hadna a sate so i jeest lay doon on her air bed tae get comfy, he asked me wit i was dae'n lying on the bed, so i told him i was having a midlife crisis and wizna movin.
ye need to take the time to relax durin the week, especially in the summer at the lakes oh gigha, robbie will tell ye aboot takin wee strolls roon the shore noo and again tae pass the time, we must have been workin evenin and mornin the year he was there with the harvest reaper as we were lyin at the quay durin the day and wid take a dauner along the shore while the skipper was in his kip.

#19 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:50 PM

had couple o nites in gigha this year was a laugh same way craighouse was good i mind u used 2 hear trapper whisl then ud c light anywhere but on road goodness nos how he never ended up in a ditch an ud hide behind phone box and jump out at him he can fair run 4 an old fla chasin u down pier shoutin ill get ya ya wee c u next tuesday lol

#20 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:23 AM

he's naw auld, he wiz jeest born auld, ye shud ask him to meesure your inside leg, thats where he stertit, in a claes shop, naw that you'd ask the local wan tae take yer inside leg meesurement, unless your an advocate of, what is the term you favour? dirt trackin is it?

#21 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:38 AM

na think ill leave tat 1 o gifted 1

#22 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:57 AM

didna think you were the ben sherman and pringles type anyway, shops either side mebbe, for a cake or a new rangers jersey

#23 jonah

jonah

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

YARNS...doon the foc,sle/cabin, etc back in the days o, coal fires, nae telly,nae nuthin!!
except the stories from the auld lads, to keep you goin,lot of them funny, lot of them nonsense, even downright lies, at times , but as a green hand you took all in at the time.
one i remember from ronnie,s faither, my uncle was about the biggest SKATE theyd caught, so big in fact that they had to put red and green navigation lights on each wing tip to tow it ashore,
thats where the school of life starts,doon the foc,sle.
thing now is with ricky ,etc your the guys tellin the yarns now but todays youth have far more tooccupy themselves with MOBILE PHONE. eg. yarns of yesteryear, instead of 3hrs zzzzssss, no contest, THEIR LOSS !!!

#24 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

hello ther old timer hows ur trim

#25 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

he's alive!!!!!!! thank f uck for that, how are ye you auld b ugger? we've missed your craic this last while, i don't want to start a row but that cousin of yours is gettin a bit slow in his auld age, gettin caught up wae a bad crowd tellin mucky jokes, good job your here now to keep him in check, he's worse than the young yins on here, i always had him marked as a god fearing church goer, an elder even, i can just picture him ringin the bell on a sunday morning and now? he's obans answer to chubby brown. ron skinny marr, obans premier blue comic, alternative comedien, the alternative being an eventide home!!!!

#26 bryan DE127

bryan DE127

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

aye Ricki the laughs and the crack in arbroath died when the fleet went .when i started in the early 70s you had 20 boats at the trawl and the seine net plus 15 creel boats on a poor morning there was some crack down below then 11 o clock the pub then the hauls got bigger come 12 o clock you had to gut your way to the bar for a pint oh these were GOOD days going to the sea.

#27 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:24 PM

aye bryan it was the same in burtonport- nothing had the catching power on the donegal coast like a bar stool! there`d be men wrestling with bags of herring, dogfish everywhere,salmon driftnets down to the toilets, big bags of cod-i dont know how the pubs could carry all the fish that was caught in them!- one of the legendary storys i was told and subsequenty told it myself was the bad weather one- caught in weather up in dubh artach- the sea was that big that we were 18 hours running down of a lump and the engineer had to stop the engine half way up the next one to fill it with oil as she was burning that much climbing it again- all this crack sadly gone.
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#28 homeward bound

homeward bound

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

FISHERMANS MARCH IN EDINBURGH 1994, WHILST OUTSIDE TYNECASTLE ONE OF THE LOCAL FISHBUYERS WHO WAS WITH US SLIPPED AND FELL DOWN A SMALL EMBANKMENT, WHILST HAULING HIMSELF BACK UP BIG HUGH EDGAR SAID "LOOK AT THE STATE O THAT C**T HE"S ONLY HAD  9 OR 10 GLESS !!!

#29 bryan DE127

bryan DE127

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

When the fishing show was in London in 77 about 40 of us from AH went down on the train. 40 boys fell off at kings X then the fun started fri night strip clubs the weeist guy with us litle jock got this old birds great big tits in his face i thought she was going to smother him . oh it was a laugh a min cana mined much about the show but mined fine all about Soho did not tell the wife much.

#30 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:37 PM

better hope she doesnt drop in on here bryan :'(

Reply to this topic