#1 Rosie Petch

Rosie Petch

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationRedcar. Tees side England

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hello everyone. My name is Rosie Petch. I live in the Coatham area of Redcar, but was born in Warrenby. I'm trying to trace the history of 3 cobles. The Reuben Bulmer. The Mary Oakley and The Sea Mew. Here's why. I have a friend, Richard (Dicky) Cutler who has a boat in Paddys Hole at the South Gare. It's presently named The Melanjo, after the previous owners 2 kids, but was originally The Reuben Bulmer. We were told that The Reuben had 2 sister boats; Sea Mew and The Mary Oakley. Sea Mew is in Kirkleatham museum, so she was easily traced, although information about her was very scarce indeed. The Mary Oakley however seemed to have vanished !People would scratch heads and look puzzled, everyone seemed to know her name, but no one knew where she was. So I posted a plea for info on Redcar Forum, and within 24 hours had 3 replies! The first 2 responses said that The Mary Oakley had been sold down to Amble. The 3rd gave me the link to this site, so here I am ! Asking you good folk for the information . So: does any one know where The Reuben Bulmer was built, and if so, any idea of the year ? Were the other 2 boats 'sister boats' ? And; where is the elusive Mary Oakley.The 3rd person who replied to my plea via Redcar Forum said there were pictures of her on this site, so when I've finished writing this, I'll explore. My curiosity is piqued! Any information at all will be useful to us, and it would be wonderful if one of you could solve the mystery for us.   ^-^

#2 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hi Rosie, welcome to trawlerpictures.  Hopefully someone might have some pointers for you

have you also had a look at http://www.coble-keelboatsociety.org/

#3 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hi Rosie,

quite a few of the guy on here know a lot about the cobles, so I'm sure you will find what you are looking for
Hope you enjoy the site
Cheers
Barry
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#4 Bob Allen

Bob Allen

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hello Rosie,
I remember the Reuben Bulmer being built in Whitby, I think early 70's, by I think Bill Clarkson, the Mary Oakley is not a coble , but a two headed boat and I think went north of the Tyne in the last few months

Regards
Bob Allen

#5 Rosie Petch

Rosie Petch

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationRedcar. Tees side England

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Thank you folks. I love it when people share info in this way ! I have had a look at the coble /keelboaty web page . But it didn't have the gen that I was after. I've done an awful lot of ferreting about, including practically ransacking Redcar library. Pestering the living daylights out of the lovely, lovely volunteers in Redcar Lifeboat Museum. Raking round  the fishermens bar in The Ship at Saltburn, also boring the lugholes off blokes of a fishing tendency. Of all of them, the most helpful was Brian Maude of Redcar. Owner of The Lady Maude, who was happy to talk to me for half the afternoon. What a champion bloke he is.  Least help ? The library. I was amazed to find that among all the books on local history and The Zetland and shipping and such, there wasn't one single book on the history of, or construction of Cobles. Hmm. An opening there for someone I think. I've come to the conclusion that the stuff I need, is out there in the heads and memories of people! And you 3 have just proved it ! Thanks again, and if you remember any more, or hear anything in passing, please, please post it for me.       O0

Reply to this topic