Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

From www.fishnewseu.com

TUESDAY, 03 JANUARY 2012 12:07
MARINE Stewardship Council (MSC) certified mackerel fisheries in the North East Atlantic have received notice that their certificates will be suspended on March 30, 2012 unless issues in the fisheries are resolved.
The suspension notice follows a “significant increase” in the amount of mackerel caught by countries outside the certified fleets, according to the MSC. In July 2010 the certified fisheries were notified that, in order to maintain their certification and ecolabel, total catches in the North East Atlantic mackerel fishery must be brought back under an internationally agreed management regime. This included the catches from countries outside the certified fleets. The deadline for implementing that notification expired on December 31, 2011.
The MSC say that while the MSC certified fisheries have worked hard to reach an international agreement on mackerel management, it has not proved possible to find a solution in time for the deadline. As a result the certificates will be suspended at the end of March unless progress is achieved before that time. If the certificates are suspended, any mackerel caught after March 30 will not be eligible to be labelled as ‘MSC certified’.
The suspension is not the same as a certificate withdrawal as suspended certificates can be re-instated on completion of a condition and with no need for a new Full Assessment of the fishery. Any fish caught before the March 30 deadline may still bear the MSC ecolabel provided they comply with MSC Chain of Custody requirements for traceability and separation.
The fisheries affected are:
-   Danish Pelagic Producers Organisation North East Atlantic mackerel (DK)
-   Irish Pelagic Sustainability Association western mackerel (IE)
-   Irish Pelagic Sustainability Group western mackerel pelagic trawl fishery (IE)
-   North East Atlantic mackerel pelagic trawl, purse seine and handline fishery (NO)
-   Pelagic Freezer Trawler Association North East Atlantic mackerel (NL)
-   Scottish Pelagic Sustainability Group North East Atlantic mackerel (UK)
-   South West mackerel handline fishery (UK)
-   Swedish Pelagic Producers Organisation North East Atlantic mackerel (SW)
Nicolas Guichoux, Europe Director of the MSC said “It may be that people will consider it unfair that the certified fisheries should have their certificates suspended for the actions of third parties. However, even though this will be painful for the certified fleets, it is essential that the overall productivity of the mackerel fishery is maintained in order for the certified fleets to regain their MSC certified status. The certified mackerel fisheries have worked hard on negotiations to achieve this and I am confident that they will not rest until a solution is found.”
He added: “Part of the MSC’s mission is to contribute to the health of the world’s oceans by recognising and rewarding sustainable fishing practices. As such, we will welcome the opportunity to re-instate these fisheries’ certificates once agreed mechanisms are in place to ensure that mackerel catches are at sustainable levels.”  

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#2 caveat emptor

caveat emptor

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

It was a f*&king joke that they ever got certified in the first place. The MSC is just another scam that someone's profiting from.

#3 westword

westword

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

how kin a get a certification certificate ov certification ,, check up fi the neck up more like :laugh:
KILL EM ALL, LET GOD SORT EM OOT.

#4 thresher

thresher

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

oh dear what a disaster this is for the scottish pelagic fleet, i think this disagreement has more to do with market forces than sustainability. if the faroe.s and iceland award themselves huge quota.s for fish they say are in thier waters, who are we to say they are wrong. they have the advantage of not being ruled by europe, and i am not sure if they give a monkeys about the stupid,,,MSC.... i dont suppose the markets in africa or asia really care either. as long as they can buy mackerel in bulk and at a cheap price, so we might have a mackerel price war looming ahead of us. this is whats been happening on the whitefish side of things for years. cheap imports from iceland,, faroe,, and norway. we have to fish tiny cod quota in the north sea, when there is more cod on the grounds than i have seen for years,so if you are a tr1 with camers , you have to retain all cod that you catch, you rent them in at £1400 a ton, and when you gointo land you get £2-3 per kilo on the market because the humber is awash with imports,
our pelagic lads might have to accept whats happening. as sanctions wont bother  iceland or faroe one bit. thier main exports are fish, and there are plenty markets in the world apart from europe,
so it might be £750 per ton instead of a £1000 or more, and our big whitefish boats could fish in faroe again this year. which will take the strain off the north sea quotas,
i just hope that a drop in the mackerel price would not tempt any pelagics into cosidering landing over quota, that would be breaking the law,

Reply to this topic