#1 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

From the BBC news site

A damaged oil tanker which has been sheltering off the Copeland Islands is to have its cargo transferred in a ship-to-ship operation on Saturday.
The Genmar Companion has been anchored at the islands at the entrance to Belfast Lough since 16 December after developing a crack in its upper deck.

Belfast Harbour cannot facilitate such a large vessel and its 54,000 tonnes of oil will be transferred in the lough.

The tanker was sailing from Rotterdam to New York when its deck cracked.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency said preparations for the transfer of the oil to the BW Seine had been underway for several days.

Transfer of the cargo, unusual because of where it will be carried out, could take between 24 hours and 36 hours.

'Stringent safeguards'
The agency said stringent safeguards would be observed throughout the operation to assure the safety of the crew, the environment and other vessels in the area.

Genmar Companion will then enter Belfast Harbour for repairs.

Hugh Shaw, the secretary of state's representative for Maritime Salvage and Intervention, said he had been working closely with the owners and charterers, Belfast Harbour and the Northern Ireland Environment Agency.

"We are all agreed that transferring the cargo in the lough is the most sensible course of action," he said.

"Although this is a fairly routine operation, it would not normally be carried out in the current location."

Environment Minister Alex Attwood said he had been "keeping a close eye on the situation".

"I have been actively seeking reassurance that there is no threat to our marine environment from this tanker," he said.

"My officials will be fully engaged with the MCA and the secretary of state's representative until the Genmar Companion is safely moored in Belfast for repairs."

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

Reply to this topic