#1 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

From www.fishnewseu.com

SCOTTISH Liberal Democrat Fisheries spokesman Jim Hume MSP has warned Scottish Fisheries Minister Richard Lochhead that even tougher EU days-at-sea rules would have a devastating impact on Scots fishermen.
Mr Hume quizzed the Minister in the Scottish Parliament over the issue during a statement on a proposed EU regulation that Mr Hume stressed would drastically affect the fishing fleet.

And Mr Hume said that while the implementation of the regulation has been delayed, the European Commission are sticking to the principle that underpins it.

This threatened to damage Scotland’s fishing industry which has shown nothing but good faith in meeting the targets set by Brussels, the MSP underlined.

Commenting after the statement, Mr Hume said:

“The introduction of the proposed EU regulation would be a devastating blow to our fishing industry. It is vital that the Scottish Government continues to work with UK ministers to fight against this plan.

“I made it clear to the Cabinet Secretary that if the EU presses ahead with their draconian proposals then additional resources would need to be forthcoming to support the Scottish fleet.

“More time must be granted to fishermen so the science that lies behind these proposals can be checked. It is important that we get the facts straight so I have asked the Cabinet Secretary to ask for an amnesty from the proposals so that this work can be done.”

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

Reply to this topic