#1 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

From www.fishnewseu.com

SCOTLAND’S Fisheries Minister Richard Lochhead last night voiced optimism over a meeting with EU Fisheries Commissioner Maria Damanaki over a threat of further cuts in the time fishermen can spend at sea.

Commenting ahead of the meeting in Brussels tomorrow Monday, Mr Lochhead said:"I am hopeful talks with Commissioner Damanaki tomorrow will take us closer towards a fairer resolution for Scottish fishermen.

"There are real concerns over planned regulations from the European Commission on reductions in fishing time and it is vital for everyone with interests in the industry that these concerns and the potential implications are understood and addressed as soon as possible.

"Positive initial discussions have already taken place between the Commissioner, myself and Richard Benyon, Fisheries Minister from the UK Government, who shares my concerns.

"In Brussels tomorrow, I will continue to make a strong case for our fishing fleet. Scotland's conservation measures to promote sustainable fishing have been internationally recognised and this Government will strongly resist any measures which seek to undo our achievements."

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

Reply to this topic