9 replies to this topic

#1 DMCMINN

DMCMINN

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

I have managed to import fuel flo meters from the usa, they are kits made for specific engines, cat 3406/3408 etc. the prices work out around half of what the sell for here in the uk.

My question is

do you think fishermen would be interested in fuel consumption meters with the high cost of deisel, or is a case of you burn what you bun and its very hard to economise.

Im dont have a clue about nets ,door sizes etc, but i would assume that you would have to tow for best fishing results rather than best consumption.

Could a fuel saving be made when the vessel was steaming in or out if the meter showed less consumption at certain revs.

any advice would be good as i dont want to waste time if fishermen think its a daft product.

cheers

jammy ill get your trial one in asap !

#2 Iain Maciver SY

Iain Maciver SY

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationStornoway, Isle of Lewis

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

I'd say a lot of skippers would be interested in fitting Fuel Flow meters, especially with the price of fuel being what it is. Its not too hard to economise your fuel consumtion especially when steaming like you said because different boats have an ideal steaming speed to Fuel consumption. Usually once you find you're ideal steaming revs you may find that if you give more revs you may be burning a lot more fuel and not gaining very much speed so it ends up costing you more in the long run just for the sake of a few revs. It could also be useful when towing in strong tides or poor weather to compare it to what you'd burn normally on a calm day or you may even find that changing you're doors or tweeking you're nets you can cut down drag therefore dropping you're towing revs and cuttng fuel consumption.

#3 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

a lot of the irish boats have them fitted and are brilliant for optimising diesel consumption.
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#4 DMCMINN

DMCMINN

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:03 AM

aeolus now fitted with flo scan fuel meter,

waiting on performance report ???

#5 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

hope u put stickers on his tanks saying diesel only  ??? 4me :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#6 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

it is quite responsive to a touch of handle give her 50 or 100 revs and the neddle rises within a second or two
still trying to balance up tanks site glass to fuel gauge to see how accurate either of the two are but give me a few weeks mr mcminn and i will either tell its crap or its worth the money ??? :coconut:
did bob yts give you a glowing report on it ??

#7 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

Its good for use if you steam a lot.When you are towing you burn what you burn,if you start changin your gear to save a litre or two of diesel you are wasting time.

#8 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

meter was showing about 40ltr an hour with the handle down but as everybody knows if you haul it back a 100 or 2 the comsumption is less 30 32 at 1600 revs
towing at 13 we were showing 20ltr an hour so we will see as we go

#9 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

be interested to see what you think, toyed with the idea but all the ones in the Uk are stupid money for what you get IMHO

have toyed with making my own, you can buy flow transducers from Farnell for under a tenner, one on the in, one on the return and a bit of electrickery to balance the 2, can't be that difficult surely?

#10 DMCMINN

DMCMINN

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

even the factory made units are a pain to fit , trying to work out the+- percentages on the flow and return sensors is tricky, ask yts bob about trying to get them to read correct, even with a custom kit for that type of engine rated to correct hp etc it still took a week or to to set up.

cummins engine are easy as they only need the one sensor as the engine always returns the same amount to the tank, depending on fuel pump model.

yours must be saving you money mr summers as i forgot to send you a bill for it  :milkybar: :coconut:

Reply to this topic