Truth or Media Scaremongering?

http://news.bbc.co.u...st/7772446.stml

#2 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

hard to believe anyone would think they can get away with paying £20 a week, i'm sure anyone my age and older has put in 70hrs for that amount or less but in this day and age? first box of prawns on a monday and thats you got the crew paid, think we need a bit more transparency from the boat owners and skippers about this subject, in my opinion if they do the job they are worth their fair share, unless they are on a fixed hourly rate which is the legal minimum or more, £350+ for their 70hrs, i'd prefer the share option or you could end up paying the crew more than you get yourself some weeks. as for living conditions? i can't even get my head round the whole no heating, no food thing? what kind of skipper would have crew live aboard and deny them either basic need? might need to put my journalistic hat on and ask the ones that come in here regularly, beggers belief these allegations, if even partly true, what kind of men are they?
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#3 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:17 AM

hard to believe anyone would think they can get away with paying £20 a week, i'm sure anyone my age and older has put in 70hrs for that amount or less but in this day and age? first box of prawns on a monday and thats you got the crew paid, think we need a bit more transparency from the boat owners and skippers about this subject, in my opinion if they do the job they are worth their fair share, unless they are on a fixed hourly rate which is the legal minimum or more, £350+ for their 70hrs, i'd prefer the share option or you could end up paying the crew more than you get yourself some weeks. as for living conditions? i can't even get my head round the whole no heating, no food thing? what kind of skipper would have crew live aboard and deny them either basic need? might need to put my journalistic hat on and ask the ones that come in here regularly, beggers belief these allegations, if even partly true, what kind of men are they?

Hi QW

Old news now, but this was a report from the Daily Express back ij August 2008:

http://www.express.c...ter/view/56184/

#4 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:24 AM

too right wing for me, i never read it anymore, i used to buy it and the mirror to get the opposing views but can't be ersed now as they both lie and treat readers as morons, even the BBC are getting more biased, i watch three different channels for news on a daily basis and the opposing slants they put on the same story is laughable sometimes. its interesting that i haven't seen any follow up to that story anywhere? still could be worse, my neighbour sometimes gets me the daily mail and it is scary!!!!! ok for me, i can trace my heritage back enough generations that i don't think they'd want me thrown out the country.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#5 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

I take it then,that when it is discovered that in only a handful of cases there is/was exploitation/poor living conditions/abuse/humiliation..did I leave anything out?...there will be major coverage in all the papers with huge headlines proclaiming such?? To paraphrase Mr. James Royle..."My arse !!"  Anything that slags off the fishing industry and shows us in a bad light is shouted from the rooftops by the media and written about in capital letters. Anything good about us is whispered and reported on page 20 in two sentances,and letters one miilimetre high.Cynical ? me ?..never !!  Polititions and the media....I wouldn't piss down their collective throat if their lungs were on fire lol

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#6 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

i wouldn`t even give them the steam off it.
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#7 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:50 PM

Never had you down as a cynic Frankie lol lol...in fact pmsl  !!

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#8 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

a cynic?-i`m not. i just know the kind of them b*****d`s. just seen on the irish news-in dublin the government are planning to introduce a parking levy to try and alleviate parking problems (politicko babble for another way to screw a few bob from the proletariat)-who`s exempt? yup you guessed it -minesterial cars.
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#9 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:09 PM

Typical politition....do as I say,not do as I do...was it ever thus as far as these tw*ts are concerned lol

#10 jim thompson

jim thompson

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationportavogie

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

its time the skipper was named and shamed one bad egg gives us all a bad name

#11 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

thats true jim it only takes one to spoil it for the rest

#12 jim thompson

jim thompson

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationportavogie

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

we all work long hours and dont get the minium wages

#13 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

what is minium wage or overtime ?????

twice nothing is still nothing :o

#14 bryan DE127

bryan DE127

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

the flips are getting more money than some of the locals on the east side due to the poor fishing and the bad weather as they are on a contack and the locals are on a share.

#15 jim thompson

jim thompson

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationportavogie

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

crap in a 5 gallon drum with the lid cut off it and a bit of hose round the top.wash my face and arse in the same dish we do dishes in things havent changed in 25 years .so talk about living conditions

#16 jim thompson

jim thompson

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationportavogie

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

the same in portavogie bryan

#17 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:56 AM

Hi All

Here's a further report from the BBC on this topic.

Some questionable statistics used in that report - One crew told how they were forced to work seven days in a row, and up to 34 hours without sleep. - 7 days in a row - blimey, I'll bet that is unheard of in the fishing industry (not!). Must be hauling canny catches if they are working 34 hours on the trot. Perhaps they feel that they need 7 hours kip between watches?

When not fishing they said they were given other jobs such as painting and collecting shell-fish from the shore. - so they allegedly complain that whilst not fishing they shoudl around on their backsides?

But some fishermen were put on a share system, similar to the conditions of local fishermen, as soon as they arrived. - cannot have it all ways, same conditions as the local fishermen - equality or should they be a 'special case'.

If the boat cannot go out because of storms, there is no money, and their families get nothing. - tough world isn't it!

Mark Palmer owns a number of boats and manages 23 others in Portavogie and Ardglass, indirectly employing 41 Filipinos. - good to see one of the 'good guys' being named in the quote. Why not name the 'bad guys'?

They described hearing the skipper swearing at the man and said the man sounded "very, very scared". - well if this is the truth, then name the Skipper and this will then warn others who may be hired to his crew.

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/7773255.stm

#18 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:53 AM

thats the funniest thing i've ever read, honestly, when you see it written down like that its a wonder anyone ever went to sea!!! when the boat is not out due to weather they get no money? mmmm bet we are all screaming been there done that!!! and having to paint? someone care to name a skipper who gets an outside firm to paint the boat while the crew get a paid holiday? or is he easily recognised by the queue outside his house looking for a berth?
the picking shellfish on the beach thing puzzled me, but does it mean that if the boat is not out they still get paid under their contract so the skipper makes them go and pick whelks? they should name this skipper so i can send him my hat to go with the whip he obviously wields!!
best of all, a skipper swearing at the crew? never in all my life have i been aboard a boat where voices were raised nevermind the skipper swearing at the crew!!! disgraceful behaviour, in my house if i swear the wife tells me i'm not at the fishing now, makes me think that i must have used foul language when i was? poor sensitive souls, some of the things i was called by my skipper as a young deckhand don't bear repeating and he was my fecking faither!!!!! does confuse you the first time your old man calls you a "lazy b astard!!" i think i might need counselling?
now get on with your work you lazy shower of c unts!!!!

#19 Guest_John Baird_*

Guest_John Baird_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

I sympathise with anyone who dont get paid ., what he,s owed . ITS HAPPENING TO ME AS I WRITE THIS ..
                                                                                                                                   jOHN

#20 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

getting paid what you are owed and getting paid your share are two different things, one theres no excuse for, the other? its this life we choose as they say in the best mafia films

#21 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

Hi All

Good to read that at least one Scottish Skipper has hit back at the allegations:

http://www.pressandj...982282?UserKey=

#22 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

simple answer to mr frank dorran mp,....

you go on anyboat for a trip and see iif you can do the job and maybe then you ill see why ppl are not queing up for jobs!!!
if you last a week on any boat i would be amazed

or better give up your status as an mp and become a recruitment for fishing boats and get paid for what you do dont think you would last long sir!!!!!

go and ask the filiino fishermen if they are happy the ones that are fine the ones that are not ask why and who they work for and see how many "rogue skipper/owners" there are

#23 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:08 PM

simple answer to mr frank dorran mp,....

you go on anyboat for a trip and see iif you can do the job and maybe then you ill see why ppl are not queing up for jobs!!!
if you last a week on any boat i would be amazed

or better give up your status as an mp and become a recruitment for fishing boats and get paid for what you do dont think you would last long sir!!!!!

go and ask the filiino fishermen if they are happy the ones that are fine the ones that are not ask why and who they work for and see how many "rogue skipper/owners" there are

Hi James

Would you really want him on your boat for a week? - too much of a liability and I'm sure you would be back into Port to drop him ashore well before the week was up.

The fact that the International Transport Federation has published a report keeps getting raised - I've searched for that report but cannot locate it on the Net - anyone out the know where it is obtainable? - or is it TOP SECRET

#24 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

if it was a week of gales i would take any of them out steve just to make sure they were sick of it and never mention any crap again

#25 Guest_ally_*

Guest_ally_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:56 AM

We have 2 Filipino's on the boat i'm on and they certinly dont get treated badly, they are both happy and want to stay on this boat as there just 2 of the lads. If what is being reported in the press is true then they should rightly be named and shamed.

Reply to this topic