7 replies to this topic

#1 langcrag

langcrag

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:19 AM

It was back in the 70s, and we were at the seine net, we had  just picked up the dahn and were away to get were dinner. There was one crew member who would never use the oil drum for the call of nature. "nae toilets in at days". He just tied a rope on tae the handrail and stuck his starn ower the side. But this day hed just tied a hitch with a bight of the rope an it came loose we the tail still fast tae the handrail. Well hed nae wye else ta gan bit ower the side. We wis haen wir dinner fan the skipper asks fars "Bill". We went up on deck and here he wis bein towed astern we his breeks gone hinging on tae the rope. We could hardly do anythin for laughing. He didna hae tae clean his backside cause it was weel washed.

#2 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

1970's style alfresco beide ;D ;D

#3 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

Coming alongside another boat at the pier in Oban "some years ago" and me being young,keen and stupid,I couldnae wait,jumped over the gap wi' the bowrope in my hand and slipped on the top rail..straight down between the boats.I must have gone down a fair bit and I started to swim under the water. As I  surfaced on the other side,what with the shock of hitting the cold water and the panic as well,thinking I was going to get sqashed,I kept going like the clappers,but I was heading away fae the boat.The Old Man was oot the wheelhouse by this time and running up the deck wi' a rope and saw me for a good job.He was roaring at me to come back and it was only then that I stopped. Marky Dan McAllister was aboard then and he said "It was a good job ye heard us,the wey ye were heading and the speed ye were gaun ye wid have feenished up in Tobermory" !! Apart from a bruised elbow and and ever bigger bruised ego I was fine....The Old Man's comment ??....."That'll teach ye tae wait"....and it did lol

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#4 bryan DE127

bryan DE127

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

in the early 80s when we still went to the cod nets there was still fish in by then.this day it was a poor can day we where just about to dump our second anchor of the last fleet when the seine net rope sweep went round the back of my brothers leg and he went over the side with the anchor.he went to the bottom in 20fathoms to this day he does not know how he got clear. i was some glad to see him hit the surface not a good day.

#5 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

we were going round to moor up on the north side of the old quay in CN one evening, i was in the wheelhouse of the jasmine and my cuzzin duggie was on deck, why he was standing on the starboard side of the deck i don't know? i might have decided we would swing her round and go starboard side to the quay as thats where all the fenders were. a bight of the centre rope for the hoppers was hanging over the stern for some reason and as we came about it went into the prop, the end that was clipped onto the wingend ofthe net came tight, taking a strain on the net and with it the rubber sweep that ran up the deck towards the winch. duggie was standing on the sweep and when it came tight it catapulted him into the air about ten foot (quite immpressive to see him flying thru the air) and out away from the boat nearly twenty feet, no mean feat as he must have been about 16st. i put the boat out of gear as quick as i could which must have been a second or two, no more, but way to late to stop him being slingshot into the water.
that was us, wrapped up, not able to maneuvere the boat, no way to stop her drifting towards the shallow water atthe end of the loch some forty yards away. i decided it would be better to try and make the boat safe first and ran out to try and get a rope tothe pier, his father had been walking round from the front of the pier having thrown us off, there were also a few of the quay workers in attendance and they had all witnessed duggie fly thru the air into the loch, they of course thought it hilarious rather than potentially fatal and just stood laughing, the boat must have been twenty yards off the pier so it was a bit difficult to get a rope to the pier, quick thinking on my part i didn't even think about trying tothrow the rope, instead i grabbed a monkeys claw with a good length of light rope attached which was slung over the railing at the side of the wheelhouse, we had got it in the codend some months earlier. i tied it to the mooring rope and threw it to the pier, the erseholes on the pier still laughing made no attempt to catch it, i blew up as i pulled the rope back aboard to make another attempt, cursing them and their parentage going back several generations, second attempt was caught by the uncle who had arrived non the wiser by this time, having been delayed having a blether. he pulled the rope in and made it fast, i did the same leaving the boat stern to the quay about twenty foot off, then i turned my attentions tothe man in the water (all this had taken maybe two minutes but seemed like two hours) duggie, not being the best of swimmers and rug in full oilskin rig with brand new boots on was floundering about like a big yellow seal, i yelled at him to kick off his boots but he told me to feck off as they were only new, i told him if thats how he wanted things then he could just droon, i was freeing a lifering from its mount at this time, he had just been treading water so was still a good bit away from the boat, but since the bow was pointing in his direction i made my way forrad to throw the ring to him, i couldn't go far forrad as the stays for the forrat mast would impede my throw so i went as far as the foc'sle hatch and wound up my arm for a good throw.
by luck i got him first time, hitting him square on the nut, for a second i thought i'd knocked him clean oot, but a second later the language coming in my direction from the yellow seal assured me he was still consious. he managed to get the ring over his head and i started pulling him in towards the side of the boat. the bright sparks on the quay didn't even consider trying to pull the boat in to the quay so that  they might assist me so i was cursing them all the while as i got him to the side of the boat, i told him to try and climb up a fender but he was useless, no way he was goingto manage, so i untied a fender and lowered it so it was in the water and then retied it. then i pulled him to the fender so he cuold get his foot into it and climb up, he was chittering like someone in a fit from the cold, it was the height of summer so the water wouldn't have been that cold so i think he might have been in shock, of course my mother andfather chose that moment to arrive in the car to collect me, so the old man was standing on the quay roaring at me!!!! i ended up having to lower another fender nextto the one i'd lowered so he had a heigher step once he got a foot in the first, he still couldn't get out the water so i ended up having to physically try and haul him out, no good, he was too heavy. then i had a bright idea, i went and hot the block for taking the codend aboard and lowered it to him, told him to hold onto it and turned on the winch, took the other end of the lifting rope and took a turn round the whipping barrel and winched him up and over the rail, floundering like a big whale, when i dumped him on deck i noticed he had still got one boot on, couldn't help it as he was now moaning that he'd lost the other one.
i decided this meant he wasn't in any danger from his dip and went to get a bowrope onto the quay, safely moored up my father and uncle managed to get aboard, duggie by this time was down below stripping off and trying to get dry, i went intothe wheelhouse and got my fathers big wooly lined romper suit as we called it which he put on once he'd stripped off. as fortherope in the prop? it took five minutes to put a stilson on the shaft and turn her the opposite way, the rope came out as easy as you like, a bit frayed but servicable, i cut it and  spliced it back together on the way out next morning. meanwhile my mother drove duggie home and we had the rope out the prop by the time she returned. the uncle got him another pair of boots from the salesmans office later that night, i don't know why he wouldn't kick them off, its not as if anybody paid for their gear aboard the boat!!!
thats my man overboard story, i have another about me ending up hanging onto a fender as we steamed out in the dark one morning, i was supposed to be in the wheelhouse, everybody else was in their bunks, if i hadn't managedto get back aboard myself who knows when anyone would have noticed i was missing? but surprisingly for me, i don't like speaking about it, i've never even told my wife. only time i've ever been really scared, enough, got chills justt thinking about it.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#6 bryan DE127

bryan DE127

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

aye QW and the good people ashore wonder why we like a wee drink if they only knew.

#7 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

Shooting away a fleet of creels one Monday morning I got to the bouy next thing the rope came up in a bight as I was throwing the bouy away the rope loped wrapped round my arm and then came the strain which pulled me over the next thing I knew was trying to get the old mans attention as he steamed towards the next fleet ,he only realised when he was away to hand me a fag and then not seeing me on the deck so he turned around and picked me up,anyway next thing he did was shout my mothher over the VHF to take down a change of clothing and I had to change before we went back out to haul the rest of the gear
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#8 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

went out from the `magnificent SO51 south of the 56 on stanton april 1989. was a lovely frosty night and i was holding on to the towing chain of the door. if it was the next morning it happened i was a goner as the wind went from nothing to force 9 sw in an hour we were just hauled when the wind struck-it was one of the times that `imminent`on the fore cast really meant imminent!
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

Reply to this topic