Highest Value Catch?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

Hi All

In light of the £1million catch, made by a recent trip by the Icelandic Freezer Trawler Hofrungar III AK - see story @ http://www.fishupdat...ic_trawler.html - I was wondering what is the UK record for a trip?

#2 sam

sam

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

Was the UK record not set by one of Terry Taylors big stern trawlers a few (and by that I mean anywhere between 10 and 30) years ago? I'm sure he broke the record once, if not it'll probably be held by one of the Hull stern trawlers from the 70s/80s.

#3 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

Hope he is with good Icelandic bank for his settling and that it will cash his cheque
Moneywise,would hazard a guess the Pelagic boats are making more in same time frame.

#4 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

big pelagic boat would gross far more for a trip-at the right prices they could double that for a load of mackerel.
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#5 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

sure the newest purser had £350,000 for its first landing, only a couple of dips and in.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#6 homeward bound

homeward bound

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

got to be the purser boys, think terry broke a few port records with whitefish landings aberdeen , hull etc but nothing near what these boys can make in a shorter time, 

#7 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

aye and some of them have a 2000 ton mackerel capacity in 97-98 they were as high as £1300-£1400 a ton in norway.

#8 sam

sam

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

I was on about fish sold at auction as opposed to straight to the processor, it would have to be one of the big pelagic boats taking everything into account.

#9 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

A purser had 1.2 million quid for their first trip a couple of month back no bad fur twa dips
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#10 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:23 AM

altaire landed 2000 ton (two hauls) at around £700 a ton last year so thats 1.4 million. heard that when the voyager was new in 1997 mackerel was £1000 pound a ton and they grossed 2.5 million for a week.

#11 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:38 AM

make a good year for ten boats and a hundred men that landing? i can't justify it, but then if i was one of the crew and got ten percent of that for my divide that week, i might see it a lot different!!!
need my older brother who was a FO in PD in late 80's to tell me a few tales, most of his were about superiors with kids that had horses and quods on a civil service pay. so must have been a boom time all round
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#12 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

yeah qw i think there were a few brown envelopes kicking about in them days alright.......

#13 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:28 AM

aye, according to him there were one or two living well above their means and handing out instructions naw to bother certain boats, thats the reason he left, as for the other brother he left cos he was reprimanded for nipping home to check on his wife who was unwell and heavily pregnent with twins,the lassie in his office had reported him oot oh spite because he'd given her a row for sleeping at her desk, and the men that sat in judgement were the same wans that had been getting backhanders for years.
them were the good old days for some i suppose, a practise long gone i would hope?

#14 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:50 AM

does it not hack you's all off a bit when you're scratching about in a small (<85') boat to make ends meet and some 'super hoover' can just turn up and rake that amount in??

I'd much rather see 10 smaller boats making a tenth of those amounts than 1 big one coining it in

#15 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:48 PM

my point exactly, a wee while at that could make all the difference to quite a few smaller boats, plus it would take longer to catch the quota and prices might even benefit because of it.

#16 3762dazzer

3762dazzer

Mate

• Moderators
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

No offence to the pelargic pursers amongst the membership, but steaming around until your X box finds a shoal of fish to hoover ain't quite the same as stern draggers of yester year

Most of their stuff ends up spread on fields doesn't it ;D

I haven't personally seen a shoal of Macks since 1979 ;D

#17 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

No offence to the pelargic pursers amongst the membership, but steaming around until your X box finds a shoal of fish to hoover ain't quite the same as stern draggers of yester year

Most of their stuff ends up spread on fields doesn't it ;D

I haven't personally seen a shoal of Macks since 1979 ;D

if its not fertilizer it ends up as fish food.

Still can't work that one out, catch loads of fish, spend a load of money processing and transporting them in order to grow some other fish to sell??

#18 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

yeah mark-have made the same point on here some where previous-you get them useless greenie b******`s spouting about fish farming vs the destructive methods of commercial fishing. now i`ve read somewhere that it takes 1 000 000 tons of fish to `grow`300 000 tons ?? now this has obviously to be caught, lorried, processed etc an enormous carbon footprint-plus (in the case of the sandeel fishery) wiping out an enormous part of the food chain as well as tons of seed fish cod ,haddock,whiting etc as they are caught through the eels- what`s `green`about any of that-let alone the effluent these farms do to the surrounding habitat.
  speaking from an irish point of view there is very little industrial fishing done. the main pelagic stocks-mackerel,herring go for human consumption. the scad fishery is mostly for human consumption and what isn`t deemed as food quality goes for bait. every year more and more of the small blue whiting quota goes for human consumption. a few boats this year fished boar fish for proteins- they seem to be an abundant stock but their biology is sketchy-time will tell.

#19 bryan DE127

bryan DE127

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

well RW at AH every year from oct to mar we fished cod nets in the bays or on the hard and was a big fishery. young boys the day would not belive the shots we got.then in the early 80s the Danes came in for sandeels and filled ther big 200ft long boats.with in a year thecod net fishery was wiped out we have not shot a net for near 20 years .and they all want for meal.

#20 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

well that`s the lunacy of industrial fishing from somebody that has experienced its effects first hand. all to feed fish in a cage-how many tons off real fish destroyed through lack of feed and the destruction of seed? and bryan-i also netted cod here when the fishing was good and know the kind of fishings you are talking about-a real handy way to pass a winter and make a few bucks.

#21 big wheels

big wheels

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

In Guernsey here we banned the export of sandeels here many years ago, with the exeption of what is caught for the local line boats and anglers the majority of the banks are un touched. Hence the fishing here is still ok,nowhere's like it was but it aint bad.If you cant eat it leave the feck alone..
Fish tremble at the mere mention of my name.

#22 bryan DE127

bryan DE127

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

well BW RW these big sandeels boats came every summer for a good few years and when loaded you thought they were sinking and if you take the food away for the big fish they swim away so your left with nout to catch.

#23 big wheels

big wheels

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

Years ago I used to see the Danes in the Fishing news loaded to near sinking with sandeels and always thought what a crime. We used to share a lot of banks with the French in those days,and even they put a volentry no industrial ban on sandeels. The Frogs will land most things but even they knew take the food and you feck up the fishing. 
Fish tremble at the mere mention of my name.

Reply to this topic