#1 janeleitch

janeleitch

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hi there,

I'm a forth year product design engineering student in Glasgow and my project this year is concentrating on the damage caused to the sea bed by beam trawling.  My aim is to someday get out on a trawling boat and see what it's all about.  I don't have any previous knowledge of fishing so getting to know some people that do would be great for me.  If you know any great place that beam trawling happens that I could go and visit, please let me know.

Thanks

Jane

#2 codender

codender

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

jane,your too late there are no beamers left, they were all banned recently for alleged damage to the sea bed,
they have mostly converted to clam fishing with 18 dredges a side seems to cause less damage to the sea bed ,and everybodys happy now................

#3 sorcha

sorcha

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:49 AM

Hi there,

I'm a forth year product design engineering student in Glasgow and my project this year is concentrating on the damage caused to the sea bed by beam trawling.  My aim is to someday get out on a trawling boat and see what it's all about.  I don't have any previous knowledge of fishing so getting to know some people that do would be great for me.  If you know any great place that beam trawling happens that I could go and visit, please let me know.

Thanks

Jane

Hi Jane , There are no beam trawlers working in Scotland as far as I know. Wrong type of seabed /fish species. As previous comment- a big scallop boat might be the closest you can get. Some of these guys using something called an 'envirodredge' see recent copies of fishing news newspaper which is designed to lessen impact on seabed. Beam trawling is mainlycarried out on south coast of england:> Shoreham, sussex and in Brixham ,Devon and Newlyn ,Cornwall . All the best !

#4 janeleitch

janeleitch

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:24 PM

Hi again,

Thanks very much for getting back to me.  Your responses have been very useful.

Jane

Reply to this topic