Water Mark or No Water Mark, That is the Question

19 replies to this topic

Poll: Would member like a water mark on all uploaded images? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Would member like a water mark on all uploaded images?

1. Yes (15 votes [53.57%])

Percentage of vote: 53.57%

2. No (13 votes [46.43%])

Percentage of vote: 46.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:04 AM

Gents and token Princess, as a more democratically run site, we would like to give you a choice on whether we use a water mark on your images, after they have been uploaded, so please vote
Have put a sample one on this photo so please give us your thoughts
http://www.trawlerpi...;sa=view;id=359
Apologies also to those of you who posted photos when were experimenting with the watermark, the watermark will remain off for now until we get an idea of where the voting is heading, if you would like the experimental marks remove, the only way is to delete your photo and upload it again.
Thanks again
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#2 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:11 AM

i stuck one on the pics i resized but its so small you can't see it
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#3 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:10 AM

i would saythat was big enough that it dosent ruin the picture

#4 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:59 AM

Personally,I prefer the picture without,but if it's a "yes" vote then the small one at the bottom of the pic is perfect.We don't want a mark like FAFB's....spread over the photo like shite on a bairn's nappy!!

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#5 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

I must have hit the wrong keys there with the word "scheidte".....obviously I can talk it but I cannae type it lol

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#6 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

theres more!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#7 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

Do tell....or have I got to find that out as I go along?

#8 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:02 PM

a gentleman like yourself will never have heard of some of them nevermind had call to make use of them!!!
heres a few that i altered as i thought just have b*****d was a bit unimaginative

bastard,   cunt,     wanker,         fanny,      penis,      cock,      shit,         shite,         bollocks,      dickhead,      fucker,      arsehole

i took a bit of license elsewhere as you'll have noticed with jordan, but theres one or two more, might take a while to find and theres no prizes for finding them

#9 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

Shiney button? It's on the tip o' ma tongue...is that the wee thing on the auld VHFs that when pressed put ye on the private channel ?  That's all I can think of.

#10 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:24 PM

take it from me, well no don't, i've no experience of this at all, but i guarantee you do not want someone's arsehole on the tip of your tongue, unless of course thats your thing, you did once mention you didn't know wether to be glad or offended that the bi crewman you once had didn't make a move on you!!!!

that make it clearer?

#11 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

As crystal now,but it took a wee while for the penny to drop (mind you,I was ages thinking about quad bikes when Ricki was talking about "dirt tracks") .I surely must have led an awfy sheltered life...really aught to get out more!!

#12 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

and so you should, oh wait, its 8 o'clock, past you bedtime noo, was just oot masel, visiting time, and its a pet of an evening after a day oh win an rain. jeest settlin doon tae watch oor blond heided pals autobiographical film "run fat boy run" he'll be sayin i've a cheek but i've lost a stone since he last saw me!!!!

#13 brax

brax

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationnewlyn, cornwall

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

yes i think there sould be a water mark but just a little logo in the bottem corner so it doesnt ruin the picture
cheers
;) women want me, fish fear me... ;)

#14 Mrs R

Mrs R

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

Not bothered about water mark on my pics I post them on Flickr and google where anyone can copy them anyway........But am happy to go with the majority.....
Token Princess....lol

#15 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

dear members we have run this poll for roughly a month now and would like all memebers to cast a vote as we are closing the poll on friday 7th nov. thanks

#16 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

not bothered wy have it not as if u have 2 be sensible lol not in my nature ;D ;D
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#17 Dunard

Dunard

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:13 PM

I personally think that the waterwark can ruin the viewing experience and that the unadulterated pics look much better. I think that if someone was hell bent on using it anyway, they could soon clone out the brand in Photoshop. Maybe it would be useful to have a message on the upload page that clearly warns against uploading someone elses work, possibly even generated each time you hit the upload button. I'm not sure how easy that is to set up, but just a thought.

#18 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:38 PM

don't think the intent was to have a clumsy big watermark like some other inferior sites might use, personally i couldn't care less, if anyone wanted to use one of my pics they'd be free to do so, even FAFB, its only a bloody picture, not as if its a work of art, if you want to go down that road then maybe anyone wanting to take a pic of a boat should ask the owner first, aye aye public domain and all that crap, blah blah blah, i never created a row about somebody lifting my written work from a site and giving it to the admin on another so why should i bother if anyone used my pictures, not that I've taken any worthy of note, words are more important to me than images, i already have a watermark on my pics on here and since the admin on here are asking what the members want then its called democracy, not as if they are just sticking them on and then trying to lay claim to ownership of the pics when fighting with another site, is it?

#19 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:40 AM

Hi All

Problem with Watermarks is that unless they are Digital (expensive) then any text overwritten onto a photograph can very easily be removed by a half decent photograph manipulation program. As others have said, if you place your work onto the Internet, you run the risk of it being lifted and passed off as their own by others. If the 'problem' is that photographs are being lifted then one solution could well be to introduce some code to remove access to 'save as'.
I'm with others who have said that they don't mind their photographs being downloaded/used elsewhere, the only thing that I ask is that anyone doing so gives credit to the origins of the shot  hahahaha

Regards

Steve E

#20 calumbo

calumbo

Mate

• Administrators
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDunure

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

Members, It was decided that given the pro's and cons not to proceed with mandatory watermarking. If you are concerned about copyright infringement you can watermark images easily yourself before uploading them.

The easiest way to do this is using http://picmarkr.com/ a free and esy to use service that allows you to add a quick watermark - either text or logo to your pictures.

Reply to this topic