wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...slands-12331879

Crew rescued from fishing vessel grounded off Scotland
Coastguard helicopter All 14 crew on board the Jack Abry II were airlifted in less than an hour

The crew of a French fishing boat grounded off the west coast of Scotland has been airlifted to safety in severe weather overnight.

The 14 men were winched on board the Stornoway Coastguard helicopter in gale force winds.

The vessel, the Jack Abry II, sent out a distress signal just before midnight, after hitting rocks on Rum.

The rescue operation took just under an hour. The crew were taken to the Fishermen's Mission in Stornoway.

An attempt will be made to tow the stricken boat later on Tuesday.
'Distress call'

Stornoway Coastguard received a distress call from the 46m Jack Abry II shortly after 2330 GMT on Monday.

It was listing onto rocks on the Isle of Rum in force 7/8 winds and heavy seas.

Mallaig Lifeboat and the Rum Coastguard Rescue Team were scrambled but the weather was too severe to attempt a lifeboat rescue.

The coastguard helicopter arrived at 0100 GMT and winched all 14 crew off the vessel in about 55 minutes.

Stornoway Coastguard watch manager David Smith said: "This was a very successful rescue of all 14 crewmen in what could have been different circumstances due to the severe weather conditions on scene."

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#2 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Posted Image

One of Leslie Tullochs pics of the vessel
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#3 Iain Maciver SY

Iain Maciver SY

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationStornoway, Isle of Lewis

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

Just said on local news that one man is due up in court tomorrow in relation to the grounding.  :police: :police: :police:

#4 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

From the BBC news site

A man is to appear in court in connection with the grounding of a French fishing boat off the west coast of Scotland.

The 14-strong crew of the Jack Abry II were airlifted to safety in severe weather on Monday night after the vessel hit rocks on Rum.

Northern Constabulary confirmed a man was in custody in connection with the incident.

He is due to appear at Stornoway Sheriff Court on Wednesday.

Stornoway Coastguard received a distress call from the 46m (151ft) Jack Abry II shortly after 2330 GMT on Monday.

It was listing on to rocks on the Isle of Rum in force seven to eight winds and heavy seas.

Mallaig Lifeboat and the Rum Coastguard Rescue Team were scrambled but the weather was too severe to attempt a lifeboat rescue.

Members of the 14 crew were winched off the vessel in about 55 minutes
The coastguard helicopter arrived at 0100 GMT and winched all 14 crew off the vessel in about 55 minutes. They were taken to the Fishermen's Mission in Stornoway.

Skipper Xavier Leaut thanked the coastguard for rescuing him and his crew.

He said: "It was very difficult for the helicopter because there was a strong gale and because of the coast.

"With my crew, I say a thank you to the crew of the coastguard helicopter."

Stornoway Coastguard watch manager David Smith said: "This was a very successful rescue of all 14 crewmen in what could have been different circumstances due to the severe weather conditions on scene."

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#5 codender

codender

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:08 AM

to be on scottish news 10.25pm. tonight rescue,,bbc1.

#6 puddlejumper

puddlejumper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

wonder if the bbc knows something i see it grounded on the "rocks of Rum "
I allways thought there was an "H" in the Isle of Rhum 

#7 codender

codender

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

i always thought there was an H in RHUM.too but theres not.
i read it somewhere and theres no H in RUM....

#8 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Aye but the Rum you  are on about comes from a bottle maybe even Four Bells ;D

#9 pmac

pmac

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationisle of wight

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

i dont care how you spell it ,hic .

Reply to this topic