17 replies to this topic

#1 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall embarks on a new campaign to save our fishies in this three-part special for Channel 4's Fish Season.
Hoping to raise awareness of diminishing fish stocks, Hugh works to find a solution to this global problem. Scientists believe that if action isn't taken soon, certain sea favourites may be non-existent for future generations.

Focusing on the three species most widely consumed in the UK – cod, salmon and tuna – Hugh leaves no stone unturned in his mission to understand what is happening to the British fishing industry. In the process he is horrified to learn that up to half of all fish caught in the North Sea are thrown back dead. Hugh also investigates the supermarkets' claims - what exactly does 'protecting the marine environment' mean?

Determined to help conserve fish stocks, Hugh launches an online campaign which you can all sign up to, and takes on the supermarkets, the politicians, and the public in one almighty Fish Fight. Go to fishfight.net to get involved!

Watch Hugh's Fish Fight at 9pm on Tuesday 11, Wednesday 12 and Thursday 13 January

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#2 homeward bound

homeward bound

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

30 year too late !

#3 KEVIND

KEVIND

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

fkn nob head minister didnt even know wot cod or haddock was

#4 Guest_ally_*

Guest_ally_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

30 year too late !
   O0

Things will never change, same old story year in year out, still be dumping fish when i retire  :'(

#5 Gordon M

Gordon M

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

The day I started the sea think 1980 I was asked by the owner skipper why u want to come to this the jobs F*%ked, I went into the wheelhouse at 19 at meetings when you said anything you were shot down by "and what would you know about it your just in the wheelhouse and you think you and the rest of you youngones know everything thinkin back lookin at some posts watchin some programs "IT MAKES ME WONDER DID THEY KNOW WHAT THEY WERE TALKIN ABOUT" as the fishin is even worse, Ive said for years let the young ones who have got yrs ahead of them in to the meetings and who'll have a interest in the future, Instead of the older generation Remanissing of the years past when they go ..................... I.know there is a lot of guy been at these meetings and fought and am not saying every one Remanissed but lookin fae the ootside is it no time to reform and emalgumate and make the SCOTTISH INDUSTRY STRONGER get the proccessors and the fishermen together its the same industry
With regards
"Gordon M"

#6 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

I just wish that a programme like this was aired a few years ago then it may have prevented Fishing Communities &  Businesses hitting the wall !! but then again this week the general public have been made aware of the lunacy that surrounds the Industry but next week it will be old news! There is this big hype at the moment about the Common Fishery Policy being revamped in 2012......it is not a revamp it needs... it needs discarded, like many of the businesses and livlihoods it has killed off!!

#7 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

heres an idea how about they start with a blank sheet of paper as what is there the now is a load o feckin rubbish

#8 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:52 AM

tonights one made me laugh.  the 2 guys stood there with tesco's T-shirts on "yeah we just grab everything including turtles, sharks and dolphins"

watch em wriggle about that one

#9 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

Hmmm complain to this Tesco Dude .....i did C'mon members lets bombard this half wit so he is discarded!!!!
terry.leahy@uk.tesco.com

#10 Jim McCrindle

Jim McCrindle

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • LocationDunure

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:17 AM

Forget the CFP . And Salmond with his " Scotland in Europe " . Why bunt when you can clear the bases ?

#11 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

HMMM too true JimBA777 but the CFP needs to be discarded...............Bases provide us with security .............which is more important sorry lads but security for our country is and must be at the max....but then again being the devils advocate (or wicked witch of the North Eadt) see Terry W....what is the lesser of the two evils Security of Employment or Security from the Dish Cloth Heeds????????

#12 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

This is the reply I recieved today from Sir Terry at Tesco's

Dear Mrs MacDonald

Thank you for your email addressed to Sir Terry Leahy, our Chief Executive, to which I have been asked to respond.

We recognise and share global concerns about the sustainable sourcing of fish, and are committed to taking fish only from responsibly managed sources.

We have developed a robust system for evaluating fisheries, which incorporates the sustainability criteria of the Marine Conservation Society (MCS) scores, the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), and the impact of fishing methods on the wider marine environment. This approach is currently being independently verified by the Sustainable Fisheries Partnership.

All the canned tuna we sell is independently certified as 100% dolphin friendly. We will be progressing to 100% pole-and-line sourced tuna on our own brand canned tuna by the end of 2012, during which time we will be working to ensure that this can be achieved in a sustainable way that guarantees the quality and traceability of the product. We've been moving in this direction for some time - just recently we increased the proportion of pole-and-line to 25% of our own brand canned tuna as a step towards our goal.

We are committed to providing customers with the information they need to make better-informed purchasing decisions. Our fresh and pre-packed fish is labelled with catch method, area of catch and species name. We’re currently introducing further information on our canned tuna.

We recognise the importance of the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) in helping to raise standards and setting a benchmark for the industry. We support it by stocking a number of MSC-certified products:

- 17 tinned fish product lines with the MSC label, including mackerel, sardines, salmon and albacore tuna
- 14 MSC approved fresh fish lines, including Wild Alaskan smoked salmon
- 4 MSC approved frozen fish lines, including salmon, prawns and scallops

We also have strict codes of practice for farmed fish, which cover feed, welfare, environment and other critical issues. These are independently audited. We have been working with the IFFO (International Fishmeal and Fish Oil Organisation) to develop a Responsible Supply Code that will ensure the wild fish used as feed for our farmed fish come from fisheries that are responsibly managed.

Once again, thank you for bringing your concerns to the attention of our Chief Executive.

Kind Regards

Nick Johnson
Customer Service Executive

#13 Gordon M

Gordon M

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Well all i can say is Hugh's put it across well to all that matter and more than 50,000 more signed the petition from last night as Carol say's wish this had happened years ago.........................

REMEMBER EAT A HOT MACKEREL BAP
With regards
"Gordon M"

#14 TOMMYTWOSHARES

TOMMYTWOSHARES

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

quite fond o baps !! >D O0 ;D

#15 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

Wot kind of baps do you prefer Tommy,the big soft floury ones or the small firm pert ones.

#16 codender

codender

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

HUGH CERTAINLY GOT THE POINT ACROSS,,,
MADE A DIFFERENCE TO HAVE SOMEBODY IN YOUR CORNER,,,,,
IF THIS DOESN,T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE AFTER THE INVOLVMENT OF THE PUBLIC ETC. WHO SEEMED WELL SHOCKED ABOUT WHATS HAPPENING, THEN NOTHING WILL.....
BUT I ACTUALLY FOR THE FIRST TIME .. THINK THIS MIGHT JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 gde

gde

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPeterhead

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

Of course the fish fight will make a difference,Hugh and the rest of the guy's are doing something that even the UK or EU politicians could not do.Even the Dispatches program on Channel 4 this evening brought out more thing's that the public never knew about.Make's you think twice about eating Tiger prawn's from your local take away.

I would hope that Hugh has made the EU sit up and take note,but Iam afraid any stopping of discard's will take a lot of management and policing and with a depleted white fish fleet in the UK it may never happen.

#18 gde

gde

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPeterhead

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

fkn nob head minister didnt even know wot cod or haddock was

Well I would have thought the same about the Fisheries Minister,but do you think everyone on the street would have been able to know all the fish ?The Minister has now got the message,but  it's the chancer's in Brussels that you have got too convince,they are the ones who have lost the plot.The belgiums even have the job of scrapping the Scottish fleet !!!

Reply to this topic