7 replies to this topic

#1 johnvoe

johnvoe

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

I am presently gathering arrival details for (all) vessels using the Baltasound pier in Unst, Shetland during the 1960s - a particularly busy period with a large number of vessels using this small pier, the most northerly in the UK. For now I wondered if anyone could supply year of build and length for any of the Fraserburgh fishing vessels noted below. I have access to Olsen's Almanacs for the 1960s however length not shown and year of build / where built seldom mentioned.

ARCTIC SUNSET FR-386
ARGYLL FR-367
BDELLIUM FR-185
BRIGHTER HOPE FR FR-371
CRYSTAL RIVER FR-278
DAYSPRING FR-120
EXCELSIOR FR-249
FERTILE FR-305
GIRL MARLENE FR-106
GIRL VIVIEN FR-215
GOLDEN GAIN FR-59
GOLDEN HARVEST FR-337
GOLDEN PROMISE FR-186
GOLDEN VENTURE FR-377
GRACEFUL FR-27
HARVESTER FR-22
HAZEL FR-102
HONEYDEW FR-399
JESSIE WEST FR-257
LAPWING FR-394
MARGARET ROSE FR-183
NAUTILUS FR-187
OCEAN CREST FR-355
OCEAN SEARCHER FR-73
PLANET FR FR-71
PRESENT HELP FR-53
RADIANT WAY FR-22
REPLENISH FR FR-239
RITCHIES FR-25
SILVER CREST FR-123
STAR OF HOPE FR-34
STEPHENS FR-156
SUNBEAM FR FR-487
TEA ROSE FR-346
THREE SISTERS FR-73
TREBLE CLUSTER FR-366
TRIPLE CLUSTER FR-386
WELFARE FR-379
WESTHAVEN FR-375
XMAS STAR FR-87

Any help much appreciated especially suggestions as to where I might find additional details for fishing vessels of this era (I'm still thinking length and year of build / where built). Hope to put the whole archive online eventually so would like to include as much info as possible. Vessel arrival records being gathered from the Sandison archives - they owned the pier at that time.

Many thanks
John

#2 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Have sent the oldman a link to this John did you get the info I posted last night on Ships Nostalgia O0
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#3 johnvoe

johnvoe

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

Yes many thanks for info from last night on Shipsnostalgia and for suggestion to post here - much appreciated! I have a huge amount of info to gather including much about the several hundred Norwegian purse-netters that were fishing around Shetland during the 60s/70s as other than the names and fishing numbers I have no details on the boats themselves. From 1965 the (Norwegian) vessels seemed to be changing every other year (getting bigger) so difficult to keep track of and get accurate information on. Maybe someone out there knows of an online group in Norway with an interest in this period.

Thanks again
John

#4 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:59 AM

Girl Vivian Built Forbes 58 as Animation PD for JC Buchan &AJ Ritchie sold to Broch Girl Vivien FR215 renamed Shepherd Lad and then Animation FR
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#5 Gordon M

Gordon M

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

so when was it Wullie the Traveller had it was it no after bein Shepherd Lad
With regards
"Gordon M"

#6 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

Lost track of it when my Uncle sold it as the Shepherd Lad Gordon all I knew was she became Animation again , it was Billy Summers that commented on a pic here that it was the Girl Vivian before Shepherd Lad

#7 Gordon M

Gordon M

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

Who was  the guy wae the reed hair and glasses tht was on the sheperd lad till the end....  we were tryin to remember his name no tht long ago i thought he went wae Jimmy Quick on the Fadelitas when ur uncle sold her
With regards
"Gordon M"

#8 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Nae sure Gordon ask Williemin by pm he will ken Davie was his Bro in law

Reply to this topic