Fight for our fleet - Whitby

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

Courtesy of the Whitby Gazette @ http://www.whitbygaz...fleet_1_2287174

Published on Thu Oct 21 13:02:11 BST 2010

WHITBY’S few remaining deep sea fishermen have issued a devastating warning – all their boats are up for sale and there will be no fleet next year.

The skippers of the town’s four remaining white fish trawlers Good Intent III, Abbie-Lee, Emulate II and Copious, also claim there will be a death among their crew because they are risking their lives to meet tough EU restrictions about the number of days they can spend at sea.

Now the Whitby Gazette has launched a campaign – Fight For Our Fleet – and we want you, our readers to support our struggling fishing industry before it is too late.

We will be launching a series of initiatives to support our lads including starting a petition which will be in our offices in Bridge Street for people to sign from today calling for the British government and the EU to act now to save the fleet.

First and foremost, we want decision makers to visit the town and its fishermen to listen to what they have to say.

Speaking on behalf of all the trawlermen, skipper of the Copious and fifth generation fisherman, Richard Brewer, told the Whitby Gazette that the town’s fishing industry, which was once its lifeblood, has gone past desperate and is at crisis point.

“The only endangered species in the North Sea now is the fishermen’s trawlers,” he said.

“There are only four of us left. There use to be 25, 10 years ago.

“Next year I don’t think there will be a fleet.

“We can fish for 135 days a year but they are proposing 90 days fishing for white fish vessels from 2011.

“It has become so serious now it’s become dangerous.

“These lads are pushing themselves too far. When they start their engines the clock starts ticking and as soon as they leave the harbour they have got to start catching fish straight away.

“They can’t come back if it’s bad weather because they have lost a day for nothing and they are taking more and more chances.

“Although we follow all the health and safety procedures to the letter, these conservation measures could create a serious, serious accident.

“It’s going to happen, lives will be lost.”

The town’s fishermen are also restricted to the amount of fish they can catch which has a huge impact on the amount of produce they can supply.

And they are calling for more quota to stop them having to throw fish they have caught back into the sea because it’s dead.

Howard Locker, skipper of the Emulate II added: “I just can’t put it into words how we feel. There are more people policing the industry than there are in it. It does at times get on top of us.

“We are treated worse than criminals. I don’t think there will be a next generation of fishermen. We are the last ones.”

l We have sent copies of today’s paper to Prime Minister David Cameron, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, Parliamentary Under Secretary For Natural Environment and Fisheries Richard Benyon, The Marine Management Organisation (MMO), Whitby MP Robert Goodwill and Yorkshire and Humber’s six MEPs – Edward McMillan-Scott, Linda McAvan, Godfrey Bloom, Diana Wallis, Timothy Kirkhope and Andrew Brons.

We await their response.

You can support our campaign by becoming a fan of our Facebook page Fight For Our Fleet.

Or pop into our offices in Bridge Street to sign our petition.

#2 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:33 AM

Quote......"You can support our campaign by becoming a fan of our Facebook page Fight For Our Fleet."

Where is the Face book page "Fight for our fleet"??

#3 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:46 PM

If they actually give us a link we'll quite happily email all the members get them to sign up for it
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#4 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:05 AM

Well Barry, I posted a message yesterday to the main Whitby Gazette FB page asking where the Fight for Our Fleet was and they have simple deleted the posting - waste of time I reckon, say one thing and then they do nothing about it.

Regards

Steve E.

#5 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

Link to Face Book Page @ http://www.facebook....07728463?v=wall

#6 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

Update from the Whitby Gazette @ http://www.whitbygaz..._pace_1_2619212

Fight For Our Fleet campaign gathers pace

Published on Tue Oct 26 11:09:41 BST 2010

THE Whitby Gazette’s Fight For Our Fleet campaign is already gathering pace since its launch on Friday.

More than 260 people have already become fans of our Facebook page Fight For Our Fleet and written messages of support for our lads.

And dozens have signed our petition in the Whitby Gazette office and at The Ship in the town’s Marine Parade calling for the Government and the EU to act now to save the fleet before it is too late.

The campaign was launched after the skippers of the town’s four raminaing trawlers warned there will be no fishing fleet next year and all their boats are up for sale.

Katie Scaife posted on our Facebook page: “Fishing is part of Whitby history. I’ve been brought up with it and so have most families.

“Losing the towns fleet would be a complete travesty to the town and it would mean a lot of hard working people would be without jobs just beacause of some daft rules and regulations that have been put in place letting boats fish for 135 days a year. It’s not even half of the year. It’s pathetic I hope something can be done.”

If you want a petition for your business call chief reporter Alex Fredman on (01947) 829911 or email alex.fredman@yrnltd.co.uk.

Don’t miss Friday’s Whitby Gazette for the latest news on the campaign.

#7 Mackem74

Mackem74

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for keeping people updated with the Whitby Gazette Fight For Our Fleet campaign.
We have thousands of signatures on petitions and the fishermen went to London last week to meet the Fisheries Minister Richard Benyon.
Unfortunately, some of the lads who went to visit did not get to the meeting as a result of getting split from their group thanks to the rioting in the capital during the student demonstrations.
Full story in tomorrow's Whitby Gazette (Tuesday 14 December).
Incidentally, your post you spoke about earlier in this thread is still on the Whitby Gazette wall.
There are three titles at the top of the wall - Whitby Gazette + others, Just Whitby Gazette and Just Others.
Your post, which was replied to, appears in the Just Others section - no idea why they don't all just appear in the same one to be honest.
I just wanted to let you know that we haven't been deleting or ignoring people!
* If anyone would like a Fight For Our Fleet petition, or know anyone else who does, email the editor at: editorial@whitbygazette.co.uk

Reply to this topic