The Blue Crusader - Wreck May Be Found

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

Courtesy of the Aberdeen Press and Journal @ http://www.pressandj...885089?UserKey=

Fishermen’s families face anxious wait after wreck is discovered 45 years after tragedy divers claim to have located hull of trawler lost in storm off orkney

By Jamie Buchan

Published: 24/08/2010

THE families of 13 fishermen who were lost in a north-east trawler tragedy 45 years ago are anxiously waiting to learn if a wreck discovered off the coast of Orkney is their loved ones’ final resting place.

The Blue Crusader sailed out of Aberdeen for a fortnight-long fishing trip in January 1965.

When contact was lost after a storm near Orkney, it was thought her radio equipment had been damaged.

After 13 days and no word from the vessel, a major search was launched which continued for four days. The trawler was never found.

Now a team of divers based in Orkney claim to have located the vessel. The same group discovered the wreck of the Peterhead-registered Trident in 2001.

They say the hull of what is believed to be the Blue Crusader was found sitting upright on the seabed, about 200ft below the surface.

Diver leader Barry White, 34, said: “I recognised the back, the stern, which is quite distinctive.

“We overlaid plans over low-resolution images and everything fits.”

The team now plans to dive to the wreck in the coming weeks. It is hoped they can find the boat’s registration number to confirm whether she is the Blue Crusader.

Her crew were skipper Fred Baker, 50, from Aberdeen; Colin Kay, 15, of Fetterangus who was on his first trip to sea; Hugh McKenzie, 49, and John Ronald, 40, both fathers of six from Aberdeen; Alexander Cruickshank, 23, Arthur Forman, 43, and Alfred Copeland, 19, all Aberdeen; David Stanger, 19, of Whitecairns; Alex Grubb, 23, of Portlethen; William Reid, 37, of Buckie; chief engineer William Anderson, 39; second engineer Arthur Duncan, 34, and mate Thomas Slater, all Aberdeen.

Last night, the family of teenager Colin Kay said they were waiting for confirmation from the diving team.

His 89-year-old mother, Georgina, of Richmondhill Place, Aberdeen, said she wept when she learned about the hull’s discovery this weekend.

She said Colin, who had trained to be a fisherman after leaving school at Mintlaw, was a last-minute replacement on the vessel.

“He got fed up at home and he said ‘I’m going to see if I can get a trip’.

“Then he phoned the schoolhouse in Fetterangus where I worked as a housekeeper and said he had a place on the Blue Crusader and he was sailing out the next morning.

“That was the last we heard of him.”

The discovery of the wreck has been registered with the UK Hydrographic Office, which provides nautical charts and maps.

#2 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

From the Daily Record @ http://www.dailyreco...86908-22512535/

Mum's hopes as divers discover wreck which may be trawler Blue Crusader which sank in 1965

Aug 25 2010 By Charlie Gall

THE mother of a boy lost in a trawler tragedy 45 years ago was yesterday praying his final resting place had been found.

Georgina Kay's son Colin was just 15 when he and 12 crewmates went missing on the Aberdeen-registered Blue Crusader in 1965.

Now, after the discovery of a vessel in 200ft of water off Orkney, she and the other families were anxiously waiting to know if it was the tragic trawler.

The Blue Crusader had sailed for a fortnight's fishing trip just after New Year and contact was lost after a storm.

After 13 days, a major search was launched which continued for four days. The trawler was never found.

Now a team of divers based in Orkney - the same group who found the wreck of the Peterhead-registered Trident in 2001 - are convinced they've finally found the Crusader.

Georgina, 89, said she wept when she learned about the discovery at the weekend.

She said Colin, who had trained to be a fisherman, was a last-minute replacement and it was his first trip.

At home in Aberdeen, she said: "He got fed up at home and he said, 'I'm going to see if I can get a trip'.

"Then he phoned me at work and said he had a place on the Blue Crusader.

"He told me he was sailing out the next morning. That was the last we heard of him."

Also lost were: skipper Fred Baker, 50, Hugh McKenzie, 49, John Ronald, 40, Alexander Cruickshank, 23, Arthur Forman, 43, Alfred Copeland, 19, William Anderson, 39, Arthur Duncan, 34, and Thomas Slater, all Aberdeen; David Stanger, 19, of Whitecairns, Alex Grubb, 23, of Portlethen, and William Reid, 37, of Buckie.

Dive leader Barry White, 34, said: "I recognised the back, the stern, which is quite distinctive.

Now his team hope to find the boat's registration number.

#3 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

From the Aberdeen Press and Journal @ http://www.pressandj...892526?UserKey=

‘Dad was shocked by trawler’s loss’

Father was on boat which was last to make contact with the Blue Crusader

By Shona Gossip

Published: 28/08/2010

The son of one of the last men to hear from the crew on board the ill-fated Blue Crusader trawler said his father had been “devastated” by her loss.

Ally Smith was chief engineer on the Scottish King, the last vessel to make radio contact with the Blue Crusader before she went down near Orkney during a storm 45 years ago.

The skipper of the Scottish King also issued a mayday after losing contact with the trawler and went to the scene to help search for the missing crew.

Mr Smith often shared his memories about the hours leading up to the sinking with his son Fred, who said he wished he had known what happened to the trawler before he died in 2003.

Last night, Mr Smith said the Scottish King and Blue Crusader had sailed from Aberdeen together on January 13, 1965.

He said: “Later in the afternoon they received a bad forecast. Danny MacPherson – the skipper of the Scottish King – spoke to the skipper on board the Blue Crusader and said that he had decided not to risk going through the storm.

“He told the skipper – who they all used to call Sunshine because he was always smiling – to radio him when he got through the storm.

“They never heard from the Blue Crusader again. They kept radioing, and got my dad up to see what he thought they should do. At 3am, the Scottish King put out a mayday for the trawler and started up towards the scene. They were the first search team to arrive.”

Mr Smith, of Sutherland Avenue, Peterhead, added that just days before the two vessels had left his father had tried to convince the Blue Crusader’s youngest crewman, Colin Kay, 15, to join the Scottish King.

“My dad was quite keen on the young lad, after speaking to him as they both signed on for the trawlers,” Mr Smith jun said. “He tried to get Colin to change his mind and join the Scottish King crew.

“When my dad came back from the fishing trip he was just broken-hearted. The crews all knew each other, and would go to the Criterion pub for a few pints when they came back on land.

“But he was most sad about Colin. He always said he would never forget the smile on the lad’s face – he was so happy that he was getting his first trip, and getting out to sea.”

Mr Smith, 57, said his father would have been thrilled that the trawler had now been found.

He added: “Until the day my dad died he often said he would have loved to know what happened to the Blue Crusader, to the crew – his friends.”

A diving team in Orkney claimed last week they had found the ship 200ft below the surface. No trace of the Blue Crusader was found after she lost radio contact with the Scottish King

#4 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

From the BBC News site @ http://www.bbc.co.uk...etland-11133760

31 August 2010 Last updated at 08:36

Mother 'shocked' by Blue Crusader boat wreckage find

The mother of a teenage fisherman lost at sea 45 years ago says she is shocked by the discovery of what could be the wreckage of his boat.

A team of divers has found what they believe to be the wreck of Aberdeen trawler the Blue Crusader.

The boat and its 13 crew went down off the east coast of Orkney in a storm on 13 January 1965.

Among those on board was 15-year-old Colin Kay. His mother Georgina say she is "flabbergasted" by the discovery.

Divers who scanned the wreck said they had little doubt it was that of the Blue Crusader.

The boat, built in Aberdeen in 1958, was lost in a force 12 gale off North Ronaldsay.

An extensive search found no trace of the vessel or its crew.

But now a Scots dive team believe it has found the Blue Crusader sitting upright in 200ft of water.

It is the same dive team which in 2001 discovered the wreck of another trawler - the Peterhead-registered Trident.

The crew on the Blue Crusader were Fred Baker; Thomas Slater; John Ronald; William Anderson; Arthur Duncan; William Reid; Hugh McKenzie; Alex Cruikshank; Alfred Copeland Jnr; Arthur Forman; David Stanger; Alex Grubb and Colin Kay.

Mrs Kay told BBC Radio Scotland's Good Morning Scotland programme: "I was just flabbergasted to think after all these years that this has happened. Why didn't they put somebody down before to try to find it?

"Forty-five years is a long, long time and you've given up hope that anything could happen like this."

She said for three years after her son was lost she did not lock her door in case there was any chance he could turn up.

She added: "But time sort of heals a bit and then all this has brought it back again, I can't sleep, I cry, but I suppose it's just normal."

#5 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

From the Aberdeen Press and Journal @ http://www.pressandj...897491?UserKey=

Chief engineer of trawler ‘had a bad feeling about trip’

Crewman put doubts aside and went – but died with 12 other men as ship sank

By Shona Gossip

Published: 01/09/2010

The chief engineer of an Aberdeen trawler that sank 45 years ago with all hands had told his family he had a “bad feeling” about the 13-man crew’s trip to the Faroe Islands.

William Anderson, from Aberdeen, had doubts about going on the two-week fishing trip with the Blue Crusader, but changed his mind at the last minute.

The 39-year-old died, along with 12 other men, when the trawler went down near Orkney during a storm.

Search teams failed to find the Blue Crusader, but last month a group of divers who were exploring the area claimed they had discovered the wreck.

Last night, Mr Anderson’s son, Bill, said that on the day his father was due to leave, he had been unsure about going on the trip.

Mr Anderson jun said: “The day my father was meant to go off to sea he had a premonition and didn’t really want to go.

“The first time the bus came to get him he asked the driver to come back once he had picked up the rest of the crew.

“He knew that it was a 13-man crew for this trip on the Blue Crusader, and boats never really sail with 13 on board.

“He had a bad feeling about the trip and couldn’t decide if he should go. But in the end, he did.”

Mr Anderson jun, who now lives in Mazatlan, Mexico, was 15 when the boat sank in January 1965.

He said he would “never forget” the look on his mother Mabel’s face when she found out that the Blue Crusader was missing.

“Mum had gone to the shop, and came back with a paper which had the headline ‘Look out for the Blue Crusader’,” he said.

“I’ll never forget the look on her face, she was absolutely stunned. She showed me and my sisters, Adeline and Freda, and we were all just numb.

“My mum just couldn’t believe it. The Red Crusader (the Blue Crusader’s sister vessel) had been chased by gunboats and followed into Aberdeen harbour. For many years, my mum thought that was what happened to the Blue Crusader – even up until she died.”

In 1961, the crew on board the Red Crusader were accused of fishing in an off-limits area by Danish authorities.

A Danish gunboat shot at the boat after the skipper disobeyed orders to proceed to Torshavn in the Faroe Islands. A court later ruled this was an excessive use of armed force.

Mr Anderson jun, a field operations manager for an American-based oil com-pany, was relieved when he heard the trawler had been discovered by divers, but said he was upset his mother and sister Adeline had not lived long enough to find out his father’s final resting place.

He said he had “mixed feelings” about whether the Blue Crusader should be raised from the seabed, where a group of divers claimed they found it last month.

The dive team, who also found the wreck of the Peterhead-registered Trident, believe they found the hull of the Blue Crusader sitting upright 200ft below the surface.

The Blue Crusader left Aberdeen on the morning of January 13, 1965.

When contact was lost after a storm near Orkney, it was thought her radio equipment had been damaged. After 13 days and no word, a major search was launched which lasted for four days. The trawler was never found.

The other crew on board were: skipper Fred Baker, 50, from Aberdeen; Colin Kay, 15, of Fetterangus who was on his first trip to sea; Hugh McKenzie, 49, and John Ronald, 40, both fathers-of-six from Aber-deen; Alexander Cruickshank, 23, Arthur Forman, 43, and Alfred Copeland, 19, second engineer Arthur Duncan, 34, and mate Thomas Slater, all of Aberdeen; David Stanger, 19, of Whitecairns; Alex Grubb, 23, of Portlethen; and William Reid, 37, of Buckie.

#6 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

Courtesy of the Aberdeen Press and Journal @ http://www.pressandj...899376?UserKey=

Families of lost trawler’s crew may visit wreck site to pay respects

Divers who located vessel that went down in 1965 off Orkney in bid to help relatives find closure

By Shona Gossip

Published: 02/09/2010

The families of the men who lost their lives when the trawler Blue Crusader sank could be given a chance to visit the final resting place of their loved ones.

The Aberdeen-registered fishing boat went down with all hands during a storm near Orkney on January 13, 1965.

Search teams failed to find the trawler but, last month, a group of divers who were exploring the area claimed they had discovered the wreck.

The divers said last night they were discussing the possibility of taking the relatives of the men who died to the site to give them a chance to pay their final respects.

They have also promised the families that the Blue Crusader will not be raised from the seabed and that they will never reveal where she lies.

Aberdeenshire woman Margaret Malcolm, who lost her 18-year-old brother, Alfred Copland, in the tragedy, said she would definitely want to make the poignant trip.

The 71-year-old said: “I had mixed feelings when I heard that the boat had been found. I was terribly upset to start with, and just couldn’t speak or think about it.

“Now I’ve had some time to sit down and think about it, I see that it is a bit of closure for us all.”

Dive leader Barry White was part of the team that discovered the wreck lying 200ft below the surface.

Mr White said: “We have discussed the possibility of taking the relatives up.

“It’s just a case of whether it’s logistically possible.
Wreath

“We are talking about having a meeting with the relatives in Aberdeen to run through everything with them.

“If we can’t take them up to Orkney, we would certain- ly be more than happy to lay a wreath at the site for them.”

He added that the team had lodged the boat’s location with the UK Hydrographic Office in confidence and this guaranteed it would not be made public.

Mr Copland worked as an apprentice electrician after leaving school but decided to go to sea like the rest of his friends.

Mrs Malcolm described her brother as the “best thing” that had happened to her, but said he should not have been on board the Blue Crusader.

She said: “He should have been on the Red Crusader, but when he went down to sign on it already had a full crew.

“The Blue Crusader was shorthanded, so he went away on it instead.”

Mrs Malcolm added that she had had a nightmare on the night that the trawler went down and knew immediately something had happened to her brother, to whom she was extremely close.

“I didn’t even know he was away at sea,” she said. “I was in my bed and just sat upright and knew something had happened to Alfred. It was horrible.

“As a child, I used to have dreams that we were going to lose him. I would rush through to my parents and tell them that he was missing.”

Mrs Malcolm, of Laggan Place, Ellon, added that the family never got over their loss, which came almost 31 years after her grandfather died when the Hull trawler he was on sank.

The other crew on board the Blue Crusader were: skipper Fred Baker, 50, from Aberdeen; Colin Kay, 15, of Fetterangus; Hugh McKenzie, 49, John Ronald, 40, Alexander Cruickshank, 23, Arthur Forman, 43, chief engineer William Anderson, 49, second engineer Arthur Duncan, 34, and mate Thomas Slater, all of Aberdeen; David Stanger, 19, of Whitecairns; Alex Grubb, 23, of Portlethen; and William Reid, 37, of Buckie.

Reply to this topic