#1 Barrie

Barrie

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

Hi Folks, First post so be gentle....

I came across this site while searching for photos of trawlers. The reason being, I am a diver on the East coast of Scotland and we have dived what we think is a trawler and are trying to identify it. So far we have only dived it twice and since it sits in near 40 metres of water we don't get long to look around.

The description we can give so far is:-

Sizes at this moment are a guestimate but I would say 6metres wide by 15-20 metres long. The stern is straight across, however it has a perfect bow shape in it as if it has been in a collision (the rest of the wreck is intact). Starting from the stern, moving forward there is then a square panel lying flat with 3 or 4 portholes in it. Then slightly further forward we have the wheelhouse and then the holds and then the winch gear and finally the bow. I thought it a bit wierd that the winch gear is in front of the wheelhouse but maybe this is common. The height of the wreck is about 4 metres but we are unsure how much is into the seabed. This wreck lies about 3nm offshore from Lunan Bay.

Would anyone have a photo of a trawler like this? and is there anything we can check when we are back down to give more clues? I know photos would be good but it is pretty dark down there and the photos didnt come out. We are hoping to video it the next time with a strong diving torch and I can post the video if it is any good.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

#2 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

hi barrie usually there is names and numbers to identify a boat somewhere externally if you can get a look at the first horizontal beam inside the fishroom hatch a lot of boats had there carving marks etched in there or welded in steel boats cases but not all this would consist of a letter and 5 figure number this could then be checked on the shipping register to identify her
even if you had a rough gps position of her some of the members might know the wreck from that

#3 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

Hi Barrie

Welcome to the site and you be gentle with me if I'm gentle with you as the Actress said to the Bishop  :-[

Quick search of the Internet comes up with this one - any chance it is the boat you found?

http://www.scotlands...CAHMS&id=102797

Organisation The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland
Alternative Name(s) RED HEAD; USAN
Canmore ID 102797
Site Type REQUISITIONED TRAWLER (20TH CENTURY)
County MARITIME
Parish MARITIME - ANGUS
Council ANGUS
NGR NO 7306 5024
Latitude, Longitude 56.643193N, 2.440876W
Images 0
Archaeological Notes
NO75SW 8002 7306 5024
N56 38.4 W2 26.35

NLO: Lunan Bay [name centred NO 705 511]
Red Head [name: NO 702 474]
Usan [name: NO 722 547].

Formerly entered as NO75SW 9440.

Quality of fix = D
Evidence = Divers Report
Horizontal Datum = OGB
General water depth = 26

Surveying Details
-------------------------
5 September 1969. The wreck of a small steel vessel, believed to be an armed trawler sunk by a direct hit from a bomb, was located at 56 38 10N, 002 26 30W, approximately. There is evidence of an explosion amidships as the wheelhouse and bridge are demolished. There is a single 4" gun mounting forward. The vessel has a vertical stem, a heavily raked stern and a single steel screw. A small brass plate found mounted on the deck bears the inscription "23' 6" from wood deck to keel. stem ----? 1940". No other identification a possibility. Report by Lt W Daysh, HMS CONDOR Sub Aqua Club 4 September 1969.

MILFORD EARL also went down in Luna Bay - check out http://www.llangibby...callancroft.htm

#4 Barrie

Barrie

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the quick replies folks.

Would the fishroom hatch be the one with the portholes in it?

The two wrecks you mention we have also dived. Both of these have been converted to armed trawlers as they have the guns and shells on them. Both these wrecks have evidence of explosions. The one we are trying to identify is unarmed and virtually intact. Lat long is N56 37.7XX   W2 24.3XX ish. Can't give too much away we don't want every man and his dog  stealing our glory :-[

#5 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:47 PM

http://www.finstrokes.com/index.html
A dive forum and a couple have dived in Lunan Bay area ,maybe some more info there
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#6 Barrie

Barrie

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

Thanks wbeedie, I am a member on Finstrokes forum. It is described on there as unknown2. I have been trawling (HA! get it?) the internet for days trying to find info on this. I thought if it was a collision then it would have to be listed somewhere.

What I am after is what kind of trawlers had the winch gear up front? and is this unusual. The idea of looking for a number in the fishroom is worth a check. The boat is covered in sponges and stuff and fairly rusty as would be expected so I think any external markings will have gone.

#7 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:01 AM

Should be a builders plate on the forward side of the wheel house Brass with build name and where built, winches forward of the wheel house used to be pretty normal also so not really a help
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#8 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

Hi Barrie,
              the carving mark should survive but best with scraper handy, are you diving on nitrox or just air?
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#9 Barrie

Barrie

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:24 AM

We have dived it on air so far but will be doing the next one on Nitrox28.

Is the fishroom going to be under the portholes at the back?

#10 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

fish room should be between the winches and wheelhouse Barrie, will post a link to an older boat with a centre fish room, should be like  a raise hatch
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#11 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

could it be this one??
will try cross ref it to the full UKHO DB to see if a name falls out.  Could be one of 3 trawlers that were being towed to grimsby from Iceland for scrapping in 1984, possibly "Solpakur"  right area, wreck size and depth.

EUT Position     Latitude = 56°37'.737 N    Longitude = 002°24'.397 W

Wreck Number

Classification =  Unclassified

Date Last Amended 14/07/2008
Charting Comments
--

Wreck Category Non-dangerous wreck

WGS84 Position
Latitude = 56°37'.737 N   Longitude = 002°24'.397 W
WGS84 Origin Original
WGS84 limits
--

Position
Latitude = 56°37'.737 N   Longitude = 002°24'.397 W
Previous Position
Latitude = 56°37'.751 N   Longitude = 002°24'.398 W
Position Accuracy 3 m
Horizontal Datum ETRS 1989
Position Last Amended

Position

Position Method : Differential Global Positioning System
Position Quality : Surveyed
Limits
--

Depth

Depth : 29 m
Water Depth : 31 m

Depth Method : Found by multi-beam
Depth Quality : Least depth known

Height

Height : --
Drying Height : --
Vertical Datum Lowest Astronomical Tide

Wrecksite

Water Level Effect : Always under water/submerged
Bottom Texture : Mud
Sonar Signal Strength Strong

Sensor

Original Sensor : Acoustic Sensor
Last Sensor : --

Conspicuous

Conspic Visual : NO
Conspic Radar : NO

Contact

Non-Sub Contact :  NO
Contact Description :  Entire wreck

Name UNKNOWN
Type
Flag

Original Detection Year : 2008
Last Detection Year : --

Source: UKHO

Original Source : Survey Vessel
Last Source : --

Sonar Dimensions
Sonar Length = 35 m
Sonar Width = 9 m
Shadow Height = 2,4 m
Orientation 165°

Magnetic Anomaly Strong
Debris Field
NIL

Scour

Scour Depth = 3 m
Scour Length = 6 m
Scour Orientation = --

Markers
--
General Comments
INTACT, UPRIGHT, SCOUR SURROUNDS

Circumstances of Loss
--

Surveying Details
**SEP 2008/000005954 18.1.08 WK LOCATED IN 5637.751N, 0224.398W [WGD] USING DGPS. GEN DEPTH 31MTRS. LENGTH 49MTRS, WIDTH 20MTRS, HT 5.4MTRS. (GARDLINE, HN FOR HI 1152). INS AS WK 25MTRS. - NM 880/08.
**HH091/152/01 & SEP 2008/000080688 14.7.08 EXAM'D 5.2.08 IN 5637.737N, 0224.397W [WGD] USING DGPS. LEAST M/B DEPTH 29.4 IN GEN DEPTH 31.8MTRS. SCOUR 3.0MTRS DEEP EXTENDS 6MTRS AROUND WK. LENGTH 35MTRS, WIDTH 9MTRS, HT 2.4MTRS. LIES 165/345 DEGS WITH BOWS TOWARDS NNW. INTACT. (GARDLINE HYDRO, HI 1152). AMEND WK 29MTRS IN REVISED POSN. BR STD.

#12 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

there's another  listed near that position - 'Lord Beaconsfield' formerly 'tribune'

hired by the admiralty as an armed trawler 1939, converted to a minesweeper 1941, stripped of all its armaments and sold to a new owner and sank while on passage to the new owner in 1945

#13 Barrie

Barrie

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

It is the one that you have listed in your first post. Have you any other info on that?

#14 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

will have a poke about and see what I can 'acquire'   :-[

#15 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

is it a steel hull or wooden?

the one at Latitude = 56°37'.737 N      Longitude = 002°24'.397 W   is formerly registered as unidentified with the UKHO, but may appear in the board of trade/Lloyds listings

#16 homeward bound

homeward bound

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

did the scalloper  KARIANDA  not sink about here  , size would be right  according to description :-[

#17 Barrie

Barrie

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

It is a steel hull.

If anyone can post a link to photos of ones you think it maybe I "should" be able to say whether it fits with what I saw.

#18 Barrie

Barrie

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

Looking at this photo of the Karianda

http://www.trawlerph...hp?photo=113509

I would say it is not this trawler as the wreck does not have the covered bit at the bow with the rails.

#19 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

the Karianda sunk of Stonehaven did it not , am sure a former member was a crewman aboard her ,there was something in the papers at the time about holes the size of 50 pence pieces being cut into her but dont know if any truth in that

Reply to this topic