mcbiff

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:16 PM

:P
Just been trawlin thro the pics in the gallery.Remember going aboard the ROSE OF SHARON when shw was in Mevagissy Cornwall. I was on honeymoon that 40 years ago. SHe was a new pin then I have photos which I will dig out and post up.
My family came from Girvan Tom Smith/Biff Smith. Toms boat was the advance, long gone I recon. I remember the Southern Sun but she was a lobster boat then if its the same one and a little beauty.Iwent out on her when I was about 8 years whilst on holiday.Second cousin The Giesha who had aboat Amathyst. And I have apicture of the Silver Chord when she was in full bloom.
I will have to get my large collection of Girvan pics out and share them with you.
Biff had a boat which he bought in France anyone know what it was called and what happened to it?

regards mcbiff

#2 jamie SR91

jamie SR91

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

Not many boats left in Girvan now sign of the times

#3 mcbiff

mcbiff

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

Jamie SR91
I think that  about right, when I was a lad,long time ago, there were a good 80 or so boats in the harbour. The silver chord was all but new then and she was a beauty.
I used to rush down to see th catches. 110s of boxes, Hake, Cod all sorts. When I went back 30 or so years later nothing but crap, and very little of that.

Do you know what Biff Mitchell Smith's last boat was called and what happened to her. I believe she was originaly a French boat from Britiany and was converted in Belfast.

#4 jamie SR91

jamie SR91

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:30 AM

Will ask about...no fish to be got in the Clyde just prawns sad times :'(

#5 Q

Q

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

Anybody know where the 40 Stroma built in Girvan and fished from there for most of her life, ended up.
thanks.

#6 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:26 AM

Anybody know where the 40 Stroma built in Girvan and fished from there for most of her life, ended up.
thanks.

# External Marking :  BA62
# Hull material code :  1 - Wood
# Year of Construction :  1958
# Place of Construction :  GIRVAN
# LOA :  12.76
# LBP :  ( nc )
# Tonnage GT :  20.82 T

Retired and exited the Trawler Register on 5th December 1995.

#7 Islander

Islander

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationBallantrae

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

Stroma was sold to the south coast somewhere and who ever bought it put a new wheelhouse on and painted it a hellish two tone colour...........After that I dont know

Reply to this topic