Gunn Anita Strange Tale?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

Hi All

Another one from the local rag down here in Whitley Bay/North Shields - courtesy of the News Guardian @ http://www.newsguard...-the.4732406.jp

Police chase fisherman off the coast

Published Date:
26 November 2008
By LIAM THOMPSON

A FISHERMAN who stole his crew's trawler and led police on a chase off the borough coast has been arrested.
Police received reports at 8am today that the 45ft long Canadian vessel the Gunn Anita was missing from its port at North Shields Fish Quay.

Officers contacted the Northumbria Police marine unit and with assistance from the police helicopter tracked the boat down.

Eventually, the Gunn Anita was caught in the North Sea a quarter of a mile from the mouth of the Tyne.

Police officers boarded the boat and brought it back to port, where they arrested one man who is currently helping police with their enquiries.

The Canadian crew had bought the boat, which was to be sold in Alesund, Norway, stopping off at North Shields Fish Quay on the way.

The exact circumstances which led to the disgruntled fisherman taking the trawler are still being established.

But it is believed the fisherman stole the trawler after a dispute with other crew members, which broke out into fighting.

Photograph of the boat @ http://www.trawlerpi...sa=view;id=3966 and there is a Blog running @ http://www.shearwate...oestonorway.htm

Another story worth reading - indicates it was one of the two Skippers who 'hijacked the boat' was arrested - check out:
http://www.chronicle...72703-22353611/

#2 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:33 PM

Hi All

Just as a follow up to this tale - the Norwegian Owners of the Boat and the other Skipper of the Gunn Anita confirmed to the Police that they didn't want to press charges. After a night in the cells the guy who was arrested (Ian) was released. No doubt he now has to make his own way back to Canada!

#3 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi All

The Gunn Anita arrived in Norway 29th November 2008 - evidently a replacement crew member had been hired in North Shields before she pushed off.

#4 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

you missed a trick there, could have offered yoursel for the return fare and the price of six pints, thats £81 just for the pints, hell i wouldn't have minded the whole trip, might have been fun, two locals have just set off in a wee 30ft yacht fae the canaries bound for the caribbean. one an ex fisherman, micheal foreman, ex of the glengalough and the altair. nicest man in carradale. tho i'd double check any of his figures, in the summer he asked my daughter what she was studying at university? she was 12 at the time, not that her ego was bothered.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#5 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:32 PM

you missed a trick there, could have offered yoursel for the return fare and the price of six pints, thats £81 just for the pints, hell i wouldn't have minded the whole trip, might have been fun, two locals have just set off in a wee 30ft yacht fae the canaries bound for the caribbean. one an ex fisherman, micheal foreman, ex of the glengalough and the altair. nicest man in carradale. tho i'd double check any of his figures, in the summer he asked my daughter what she was studying at university? she was 12 at the time, not that her ego was bothered.

Hi QW

Choice between crossing the cold, windy North Sea to Norway or a  sunny, warm cruise down to the Canaries and across to the Caribbean - hmm, no competition is there  :)

#6 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:16 PM

I reckon it was all just a ploy by the banished crew member to get sent home early....  maybe they'd agreed to take it in turns to buy all the beers in each port they come to and it was his turn next

#7 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

I reckon it was all just a ploy by the banished crew member to get sent home early....  maybe they'd agreed to take it in turns to buy all the beers in each port they come to and it was his turn next

Hi Mark

The rub was that they only received their pay on arrival in Norway - I've been told on good authority that the guy, who in effect was scragged, had his air fare back to Canada paid by the Norwegian owners - however his wages have gone down the swaney.  :)

Reply to this topic