#1 westbob

westbob

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

Hi All

I am new to the forum today ( will post an intro soon ), my brother ( Big Alan ) , my father and I  owned the Golden West from 1976 - 1988. We bought her as a hull with no engine in Loch Melford, worked the hull, although she was in good nick underneath apart from 1 cracked plank under the port rolling keel until putting her in the Loch Easter 77.

She was towed by a Mr Ross from Crinan to the canal and sat in the sea lock for 2 days, during which time some of you might have been on her for a chat, before we pulled her by hand through to Ardrishaig.

She was then re engined with the engine out of the Nordzee from Ayr, Mat Currie's boat, Kromhout 8TS 117L with 3:1 box driving the original 6L3 2:1 prop, great combination.

So that's that BUT, we have never seen, and our old Man, now 79, has never seen pictures of her or the boat we partnered doing fishing trips, the Golden Venture, when either of them were fishing in their prime.

We know they were owned on the Ayrshire coast, the West even spent time in Ireland I believe, so does anyone out there either have any pictures of her or know anyone I can discuss her with?

Unfortunately some 10 years after we had her some idiot let her go to the point where she sank in the Gairloch, a very much missed by us boat.

Thanks in Advance
Bob

#2 crechan

crechan

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

golden west golden venture built fairlie for maidens 1947 mccrindles try and get some pictures for u when in tt

#3 westbob

westbob

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

Many thanks Crechan, that would be great.

Cheers
Bob

#4 ll590

ll590

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

There was a Golden West ex BA62 sold to Wick in the 1930s She went to Lerwick  after that
www.wkboats.co.uk has a pic of her (by permission of the Shetland museum) if that is the boat

#5 westbob

westbob

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

Hi there

No that was the previous boat to the same owner, the one we had was 56Ft ringer, the one in the link was 48Ft. We actually knew her as she also ran sea angling trips on the clyde in the 80's from Gourock.

Bob

#6 Mike Craine

Mike Craine

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

I have a photo of her entering Port St Mary when she was private if interested, send PM?

Reply to this topic