32 replies to this topic

#1 peng wen

peng wen

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:34 PM

As a armchair fisherman i am pleasantly delighted with some of the news,views and light hearted entertainment that this website has povided over the last few months but can we please encourage some tough debating about the everyday obstacles  that fishermen must overcome in what appears to be increasingly difficult times.

#2 DOGSBODY

DOGSBODY

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationSUNDERLAND

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT TIMES BEING DIFFICULT, BUT IF IT WAS'NT FOR THE CRAIC WE'D ALL BE AWAY WI THE COD END. lol  :;)
Paul...shyboy...Johnson.

#3 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

for tough debate you'd need to have opposing views or sides, i think you'lll find that the majority on here are in complete agreement about most things, so far at least but welcome aboard all the same, we actively discourage disagreements for the sake of winding others up or making personal attacks on members, difference of opinion is a different matter and is encouraged.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#4 peng wen

peng wen

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the welcome aboard.Although i cant accept that in a industry built on free enterprise that we don't have opposing sides and are in complete agreement in all aspects of fishing related topics.Surely there is scope for everyone to get their cards on the table and challenge each other.Come on,lets have it,lets have creeler v trawler,single rigger v multi-rigger,deckie v skipper,skipper v other skippers,fishmen v prawn men,brit crew v eastern block crew,eastern block v phillapine crew,small vessels v large vessels,scallop divers v scallop dredgers,scallop dredgers against enviromentally friendly scallop catchers,salmon fishermen v salmon farmers,stuborn old fishermen v fresh young fishermen,razors,queenies,buckies,whelks,wreck net,set net,drift net ,siene net and internet.lets have it all or is every one in complete agreement?.whats the point in secretly bickering when everyone has a chance to express themselves here online, not only locally but on a world wide web.Come on dont be fickle and get debating on the issues that are affecting you right here,right now.

#5 ADMIN

ADMIN

Deckie

• Administrators
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

righto, lets go then.

what about starting with, eh... admin versus banned members joining again and trying to start trouble?

#6 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:41 AM

awww and i was so looking forward to the healthy debate, he missed out seasoned internet debators versus brainless halfwit erseholes, i'm the seasoned debator in case he didn't already figure it out as quick as i figured out who he really is, but then you can't have everything, who's laughing now, boy?
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#7 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:49 AM

"http://www.youtube.c...n9Y&hl=en&fs=1"

#8 peng wen

peng wen

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

i think that there is a real mix up going on here.Is this for real?I have spoken to one person whom HAS been banned from this website and can give you my assurance that his eccentric views are certainaly not on the same level as my own.I also must add that as i am not directly involved in fishing and i do not wish to get involved in the debating or in any form of arguement.What i would like to take from this site is to develop my all round knowledge of scottish fishing and build a profile of various opinions that could be used at a later date to improve my own career and hopefully be used to improve the fishing industry as a whole.so please no more childish remarks and get the ball rolling

#9 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

well peng wen how about giving us some more info about yourself and what you do what you no of the industry
we are all on here and are most friendly ppl when you get to no us 

what area of the industry is it you are interested in in particular

#10 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:43 PM

well seeing as theres only been one person banned from this site and you just happen to by some miracle know him (a fact i didn't know until last night, that he had been banned that is!!!!) and you share another striking similarity to said person, so i'm told, it would appear that it is you that has just had their legs shopped from under them, so it beholds you to get the balls rolling, unless you intend to move about on your hands or something?

#11 peng wen

peng wen

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

for jammy.well at least you sent me a positve reply unlike the other one who started off his comments with open arms and has turned it into a name calling kids game and i will be totally honest that i never came on this site to go down that road.However,my answer to your question about who i am is simple.I am involved in free lance market research but only at a trainee level and i found my feet in the fishing industry when discovering that my great grand father was a south atlantic whaler before being injured at sea and was trans-shipped to another vessel bound for greenock where he spent the remainder off his life fighting poverty and alcoholism.A chance encounter with a man who claimed to be the last harpoon skipper in the uk renewed my childhood curiosity and i began to visit working harbours to view the lifes of modern day fishermen and thier boats.

#12 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:54 PM

peng wen reread my post "we" all on here are mostly friendly ppl
there was on person that was not and thus he is no longer a member
nobody has mentioned any names of anybody

#13 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

what a fascinating story, wouldn't you be better off writing thsat into a book, weaving a fictional story round the facts or vice versa. i know i would read it, especially if it was published by ardminish press. the last whaler skipper in Scotland must be a good age? i knew a man who had sailed on whalers to south georgia and he had great stories of his time at sea. now you've whetted our appetite you really must bulk out the story of your forebear, i'm sure the members will really appreciate reading about something that will take their mind of their day to day worries about oil prices and sea closures. the closest i've come to meeting a whaling skipper would be king shark himself, Howerd McCrindle, who hunted basking sharks, a legend in his own lunchtime throughout the clyde, a hate figure among tree huggers and the greenies, who dogged his every step, his tales of basking sharks and fart masks are legendary among clyde fishermen, he survived thru seasons whe the temperature would dip as low as 60 deg, that was a poor summer for sharks i seem to remember? to see him standing at the big harpoon as neville hailed "finn, finn!!" but the herring boats wouldn't answer so he'd climb up into the crowsnest on the franleon with his field glasses, great for looking at fields but hopeless for spotting shark fins. if they were in the area i would as a young lad climb on top of the wheelhouse and up the mast to sit in the exhaust fumes with my binoculars looking for a fin in the water so my father could hail him and i'd get to see him shoot his load, ed harpoon at the fleeing beast, they had a look of a wide mouthed frog as they floated past, filtering out the krill, which there was none of, luckily there was plenty plankton which was their preferred food. howard must have eaten tons of plankton in a day, trying to be at one with the prey, of course the amount of salt water he had to swallow meant that he eventually went completely mad and would in later years hail you on the VHF pretending to be a small girl. how we laughed, i do think one crewmember actually sh@t himself such was the mirth aboard the fleet that day, no prawns were caught, but the buyers had put us on a quota and wouldn't take any whole prawns so why we even bothered going to sea i don't know, its in our blood i suppose, these days of course its something else thats in my blood, tho it does share some of the hallucinagenic qualities of drinking copious amounts of seawater, or so i';m told never liked to drink it myself, too salty for my taste, alright for biling tatties in at the beach but naw fur drinking, yeach. i canna wait for more of your tale.
oh the reason for the week joke in my previous post? for some reason you share the same IP with the ersehole that got banned, i think it was for several personal attacks directed at me for no good reason, but seeing as you are not him and don't mind telling the admin who you are and all that, then we should get on fine, the person you claim to know so you'll be familiar with how spineless he is? i thought so, won't hold it against you, we've all had a spineless friend at one time or other, mine was someone who once had a spine till i ripped it out with my bare hands after he tried to claim i was a laughing stock, i keep him in a bucket now and feed him krilll, or is it trill? thats it, trill, some parrots think they are so feckin clever, who's a pretty boy now eh? i don't hear him laughing now, but its ok, i'm over it, i've moved on, chill and relax!!!!

#14 peng wen

peng wen

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:07 PM

unfortunatly my great grand father died at the ripe old age of 46 and i never got the privilage to hear a first hand account of his days at sea but i would be very pleased if you can post some whaling stories for me from your old buddie.The rest of the reply was all greek to me but im sure that there is some amusement in it somewhere for a select few.

#15 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

wy do folk come on and hide behind a silly name i no wen i done it on the "other" site it was 4 fun and 2 get up jammy calmac jacks pals nose if ur coming on here with a name not ur own they always saywho they r unless here 2 cause trouble
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#16 peng wen

peng wen

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:57 PM

if you are reffering to me at causing trouble then please read all the comments made from start to finish on this page.I've never had any intention in causing trouble on this site and never will so therefore i will new longer add any more comments and do apoligise to anyone who feel they have been offended by me.I will continue to view this site as my opinion is the same now as it was in the begining.It is a fantastic site to spend some time browsing through and obviously my vision of having serious debating going on has not gone down too well.I thought my original suggestion would be an improvement to the website and honestly thought that it could be the start of something great where adults could put forward mature accounts of thier ideals with others and come up with amicable solutions to future problems.Good fishing to everyone.  gwen

#17 ADMIN1

ADMIN1

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:05 PM

Peng Weng, would you care to explain why you have exactly the same IP address as our only banned member then? it's not a mobile IP account.  Look forward to it

#18 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

i don't know anybody greek? did i mention anyone greek? there was that pic of ricki as a boy with his george micheal hairstyle, or was it me  having a careless whispa about the IP address, more of an aero fan myself!!!  pity peng or gwen or weng or whatever way he forgot how to spell his own name, has decided not to tell us about his great grandfather tragic to die so young, pushing it a bit, i'm 46, any chance to call that young i'll take it. i take it he never spoke to his children about it and coming from greenock i'll assume at 46 he'd have lived to see his grandkids, leave school!!!! hell i went to school with the granny of one of my son's mates and he is 16, we have an exchange program with greenock, they send all their junkie scum doon to take the top slots on our cooncil hoose lists and we send oor junkie scum up to their jile.

my old whaling chum who i don't know if he still lives was called jennings, i'll wait for the slower ones.........................
the other was called mcgeochan, owned the fidelity and the mary anne, think he last whaled in the mid 60's, often wonder what happened to that boy? think his name was neil? nice boy, we know what happened to the fidelity but no idea where the mary anne went after lawrence retired?

#19 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

i its neil buddy not seen uncle lauri in ages ill be takin his xmas rasher up soon how is he. did u hear about the hedge cutter he got caught steeling knickers off washin lines

#20 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

naw seen him or mary for a while,

#21 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

wat aboot the knicker steeler

#22 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:00 PM

i don't know who cuts his hedge? its big hamish that cuts mine, but then i have a real hedge, 20ft tall , 30ft long leylandii and another 60ft long traditional style thats 8ft high, no way i'm cutting it!!!!! he has the tractor and trailer for taking the cuttings away and costs less for the job as wee john wid charge ye for an oor!!! or has his prices gone up to reflect his taxi bills, AGAIN!!!!!

#23 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

unfortunatly my great grand father died at the ripe old age of 46 and i never got the privilage to hear a first hand account of his days at sea but i would be very pleased if you can post some whaling stories for me from your old buddie.The rest of the reply was all greek to me but im sure that there is some amusement in it somewhere for a select few.

Not sure if it will be of interest to all members, but..... great book to read is The Whaling Trade of North East England 1750-1850 by Tony Barrow (ISBN 187375783-2) - the Tyne had quite a large Whaling Fleet in its time. Well worth a read if you can find the book on the 2nd hand market  ;D

#24 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

need to look out for it, one of my most prized possessions is a first edition of moby dick i got at a car boot sale for 20p

#25 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

need to look out for it, one of my most prized possessions is a first edition of moby dick i got at a car boot sale for 20p

Ever tried to find the resale value of the book?

#26 calumbo

calumbo

Mate

• Administrators
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDunure

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:20 PM

king shark himself, Howerd McCrindle, who hunted basking sharks, a legend in his own lunchtime throughout the clyde, a hate figure among tree huggers and the greenies

All I know Is that there used to be a small school of basking sharks that used to be able to be seen every summer outside my window on and off, then one day that guy showed up and that was the last time I ever saw them about. Just wondering, If you know did he kill them for sport, or is there actually a practical use for dead basking sharks? Seeing as they are a docile, friendly creature I'm guessing it's the latter, can't imagine there would be too much sport in killing them?

#27 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:24 PM

Calum, Howard McCrindle was the shark fishermen, he did it for profit.   Still a good few sharks out there saw a number of them during the summer steaming up the coast.   They were put on the endangered list must be about 15 years ago now, so no more shark hunter.
He had a channel documentary made about him, can't remember the name now
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#28 calumbo

calumbo

Mate

• Administrators
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDunure

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:28 PM

Take it no relation?

#29 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:42 PM

Distant................
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#30 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

Calum, Howard McCrindle was the shark fishermen, he did it for profit.   Still a good few sharks out there saw a number of them during the summer steaming up the coast.   They were put on the endangered list must be about 15 years ago now, so no more shark hunter.
He had a channel documentary made about him, can't remember the name now

Project Basking Shark
Mauvis Gore, Rupert Ormond & Howard McCrindle

http://www.gla.ac.uk...hark_frame.html

The documentary was FRAGILE EARTH: SHARK HUNTER
"A single Scottish trawlerman, Howard McCrindle, has been accused by conservationists of driving the Basking Shark (the world's second biggest fish) to extinction in British waters. FRAGILE EARTH follows the shark hunt and considers the different opinions about the threat to the shark."

Reply to this topic