Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:10 PM

http://www.fishnewse...s-industry.html

EU moves would be “catastrophic” for isles’ industry

WESTERN Isles SNP MP Angus MacNeil has contended that threatened cuts in nephrops quotas have no scientific justification.

During a fishing debate in parliament. Mr MacNeil said that in such a maritime constituency as the Western Isles, any threat to the fishing industry would have a "catastrophic" effect on the islands.

If some of the EU reforms were implemented then the future of 50 boats in the constituency would be under threat -this would be the sea equivalent of when the Ravenscraig Steel Factory closed down.

"Any threat to the langoustine industry would mean many livelihoods being lost in the Industry."

The EU Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) has no credibility whatsoever, if they are proposing to close fishing waters, then they should have scientific reasons to do so.  This they do not have for the islands.

"There is the issue of discards, more accurate data is needed, and why between October and February are they dumped."

The issues of special conservation areas, SAC's, are also causing controversy and he went on:

"It is of concern when they are being steamrollered out with no regard to local feeling or the damage that they could cause the environment."

He added "These are issues that need to be addressed sensibly rather than being dealt with in a manner that is to the detriment of the industry."
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#2 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:44 AM

good to see they are starting to take a stance on this, i emailed alex salmond about it and he replied asking for my home address and phone number so that he could send me his reply or even call me to ask my opinion or give me his, not that my opinion is very relevent, he has done neither so far but did tell me to be patient as he wanted the full picture and to consult with representatives from the area to get the full picture of how it would impact on the industry and liveliehoods before getting back to me. on the offchance that he does i intend to put him on to others better placed than me who can give him a much better viewpoint of things, i've no idea how it will affect you all, i can only guess. i suspect recent world events financially have got in the way but i did emphasis that this would increase the pain for the industry what with bank loans and overdrafts etc, tho thankfully i haven't heard of any banks taking steps to call in such things yet, every day i dread hearing about such a thing happening, but i fear it might come yet in future months.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#3 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

boys they are just testin the water to see what the public reaction is. the less noise that is made in the media then the more likely that these proposals will become a reality in the future. the greens will be lapping this up like hotmilk.

Reply to this topic