http://www.fishnewse...up-crewmen.html

#2 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

i dont know how many hours i have spent at the table dreaming of this badboy. hope its a success story.

#3 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

At a cost of £80,000 ;)....How many "Flip Flops" does that equate to ??....I personally don't see it catching on aboard the inshore fleet,but who am I to say lol

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#4 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

how do you get the prawns to march into the machine arse backwards? how does it deal with anything from wreck, stars, wee fish and other debris, or do the two crew it replaces spend their time removing all this and mak sure the prawns go in the right way? what happens if the prawns all go in head first? do the tails get scutched over the side and your left with baskets of heids? i see it was trialed by an irish boat, so what will it do when fe prawns counting less than 160 tothe pound? will it be able to cope with the increase in size?
if you employ four flips then its 120 a min speed will be replacing maybe one and a half men, one decent clyde tailer or three FR INS PD tailers, who are 40 a min top speed, least any i've seen on trawlermen would struggle to reach that level.

if its flips its replacing then it'll pay for itself in 16 years,  it'll tale 96stone in 24 hrs so its slower than your average portavogie crew. i know a few that would keep up with it for a good few hours, 4st an hour? would you pay £80,000 for a machine or £20,000 for a man who could do the same?, if u opt for the man then phone bomber, he'll beat that speed.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#5 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

if i could get 80 grand sterling gathered up in the one lump it would be adios fishing LOL!
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#6 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

Aye,and I'd be volunteering to carry yer suitcase when ye headed for the sun Frankie lol...don't think he'll sell many at 80K a throw somehow !!

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#7 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

you would still need to catch them, disna matter how long it takes to get thru them, at a stretch it could tail 20st a tow, you'd need to catch them for the machine to tail, you'd still have a man feeding it and another picking for it so it got clean stuff to work with, a complete waste of time and money, unless of course the skipper automates the whole operation and works singlehanded, all he does is tie the doors, pull the string, tie the codend, untie the doors and shovel for the machine, wash and box the end result, easy money!!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#8 DOGSBODY

DOGSBODY

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationSUNDERLAND

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

!!!!!! 80 K, FOR A LUMP OF METAL THAT WILL BREAKDOWN ONCE THE CRAP GETS THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T THINK SO.  :-* ;)
Paul...shyboy...Johnson.

#9 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:57 AM

such a negative response boys!!!!!!! ill bet the same was said about guttin machines years ago. hear the greetin that goes on if that breaks down with anyone who has one. this is an early prototype but who knows what will be available in a few years. as for 4 stone in an hour. thats alright if your tails are countin 70 with clean prawn. i have heard the claims but i have yet to see anyone tail 4 stone 100 count in an hour. must be a few matrix tailers out there that can slow time down.......an if there is them that can do it i,ll gaurantee thier hale baskets are far from overflowing.

#10 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:16 AM

gie me a brekkk, i've had to wind back stephan fry goin oot on a lobster boat three feckin times while i fight the impulse to put this fecker doon.

forgot what i was goin to say noo!!!!!!!!! ach b ugger, oh right, never landed prawns coontin 100 in my puff, never, might have hit 90 once or twice, butthats it. i coona tail 4st an oor, a basket aye, but naw 4st and it dinna matter what the quality is like, if they are a wee bitte poorer you tail quicker, its a phsy, its a, ach it just feckin heppened!!!!!! canna speak foa anyone else, but it said they go in tail first, now how do you ensure this, suppose once they stick the video up it might explain things, but they've trialed it for six months, never thought to film it? feck sake, we've had film of everything on here, even photos of folk taking a dump, yet they never thought, oh i know lets take a few snaps of this thing working, that would be an idea, or did they go into this thing erse first as well? what do i care? i'll naw be getting rid of my crew and buying wan, oh, i don't have a crew, i don't even have a boat, why am  i even bothered aboot this machine? christ, the tv must have been sh!te earlier on when i first read this, or i'd gone 36 oors wae oot posting and got withdrawel symptoms, its a bit like ATM withdrawel symptoms, you go to the machine, stick the card in, you really really want to take money out, but you know you can't, then the machine tells you that you can't, then you get resentfull and take it out on the machine thats replaced humans, like the man that used to stand there, you coyld go up to him and he'd give you £10 then the next week you'd give him £30 and then you'd aqsk him for £40 and on it went, on second thoughts, the machine stops at giving you £10, its not until you get the letter saying you took out £10 so we didn't pay your direct debit and this letter is costing you £30, no wait, surely theres a better system, why doesn't someone invent a machine that tails prawns? thats what i want to know?

#11 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:59 AM

a machine that tails prawns??? it'll never happen. thats almost as ridiculous as suggesting something like eh......... lets shut down the whole west coast of scotland to trawlers!

#12 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:01 AM

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah ah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hahahah h h hah h h ah haaaaaaaaaaa
thump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 armada

armada

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationVigo-Spain

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

Nicky I appointed about the gutting machines. And i have something to comment.
In my case, at least in this corner of spain. I cannot purchase scottish trawled hake not only because is too soft for my market but mainly because this gutting machines. For cod is ok. Pople is used to see the cods and pollocks gutted and cutted to the head but not hakes.
Anyway, if pollock and cod was gutted by a professional with a small cut in the stomach and then spilling some wather inside and then packed, then all will be great and the sun will shine everyday (and i will be able to sell their catches better). Unfortunately this doesnt happen. Nor with scottish hakes/lythe i have seen not with scandinavian product.

I dont know how may kilos of prawns you get (each potter or trawlers) but you willl have to have a big deck and plenty money to spend. I dont think is so many prawns in a ship that needs a 80 queens to rest.
The ships i auction here in vigo were dedicated to prawns in the past and i spent a lot of time makeing tails but i think this is more suitable for an industry than for a fishing boat.
Is like te cooker the skipper of a trawler we work with wanted to put inside to cook coldwater shrimp. He fishes 20 tons a year and the cooker can process 5 tons a day so spending so many money for so small production and fro infrahutilization of the machine seems a money waste.

Regards
berbes_seafood@yahoo.es
all you need about Vigo please contact.
msn only: granarmada@hotmail.com

#14 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:20 PM

yes i agree armada. i think if they ever manage to get the prawn tailing machine to be a success it would be better suited in a factory where it is easier to maintain and there is less restriction on space. i honestly dont know how it ever came to be that fishermen got lumbered with the monotanous task of tailing small prawns. if it was up to me we would simply catch them and pick out the small fish and leave the processors to please themselves!! they are good a doing that anyway............

#15 fincutter

fincutter

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMillport

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:06 AM

Hey Nicky 1. Just to let ye ken. When we first started fishin the nephrops, they WERE  all landed whole. An' efter they were landed, a dose o' weemen were a' through the market in Ayr, tailin' lik' dervishes. Sadly, a couple o' Dunure skippers Ah Believe, and ma ain faither, started tae tail them on the boat. In 1965 we was gettin the braw sum o' ten bob a stane fur wur 5 stane quota o' sma' tails. I'm here tae be corrected but I think ye can blame Tommy Anderson, Grieve Gemmel and Craig McCrindle, Marie, Stormdrift and Silver Lining, fur a' that shite!
Live for today .... Tomorrow might no' come.

Life is for livin' lovin' and laughin'.

#16 crechan

crechan

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:55 AM

heard woolworths was selling them fincutter

#17 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:27 PM

when we were gillnetting hake, armada, we fished for the spanish market ang gutted them by hand and handled those big fish like babies!-they didn`t make quite as much as line caught but we still got top money for them.
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#18 jocksock

jocksock

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationat sea

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

great if they worked right enough,but more inclined to agree on factorys fittin them,80k donsnay go alang way at nobles nooadys
a pier wi nae beer is nae use

#19 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:50 PM

bottom and a waterline? only joking A.

Reply to this topic