Mysterious dead fish appear on beaches

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:25 PM

Courtesy of the Newcastle Evening Chronicle @ http://www.chronicle...72703-25761455/

Mysterious dead fish appear on beaches

Feb 4 2010 by Tom Mullen, Evening Chronicle

Scores of these ferocious-looking fish have been found flapping around on the region’s beaches with no apparent explanation.

Fishermen have been left puzzled, schoolchildren think they’re finding piranhas and experts in marine life are fascinated.

There have been reports of the creatures appearing along beaches from Seaton Sluice in Northumberland down to Marsden Beach in South Shields - and it is likely many more sightings are yet to come to light.

But now a marine biologist has offered some words of explanation for the fishy enigma.

The creatures are known as Ray’s Bream and are more usually found at depths of up 1,000ft.

There are no certainties, but it is thought subtle temperature changes have encouraged the fish to rise to more shallow depths, perhaps in search of food.

There, the carnivorous and menacing-looking animals can become caught in unfamiliar currents and washed ashore.

Zahra D’Aronville, a marine biologist and curator of the Blue Reef Aquarium in Tynemouth, said the fish have rarely been seen in such numbers since the 1970s.

“The species is found throughout the world and is highly migratory,” the scientist said.

“They do frequent the British coast but this year we have seen an awful lot. It’s extremely unusual because they are a deep sea fish. I haven’t seen anything like it all the time I have been here. They look quite scary but we would say to people that they are harmless. They are certainly not like piranhas. There is a lot of misunderstanding about piranhas anyway, they only attack rarely and in shoals.

“There have been a lot of sightings, particularly by the fishermen we speak to. It could be that they are following food, or it could be a temperature issue.

“I guess it could be because it’s been a little colder.”

However, the spiky-jawed fish, which feed on smaller fish and crustaceans, are continuing to surprise visitors to our beaches, with no sign of disappearing.

Martin Wilkinson, who stumbled across some Ray’s Bream while walking his dog along Marsden Bay, said: “I found 18-20 dead fish and one alive. I identified them as Ray’s Bream, not seen in numbers since the 1970s.”

Derek Hepple, 68, a charity worker and retired marine life enthusiast, saw two of the fish at Seaton Sluice harbour.

He said: “My friend Andrew came and said he’d seen piranhas on the beach. I said there’s no way - piranhas are freshwater fish.

“Then I saw two with my own eyes down by the harbour. All I can say is I’m glad they were dead.”

#2 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

this one was on blyth beach couple of weeks back.  been loads of em along the coast, even been a few caught by the anglers on the rocks as well

Posted Image

#3 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

Aye Mark, seen a few on sale in the Grainger Market over the last few weeks as well  ;D

Regards

Steve E.

Reply to this topic