#1 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Originally posted in www.fishnewseu.com

STRUAN Stevenson, Scottish Conservative MEP, has questioned Mrs Maria Damanaki, the Commissioner Designate for Fisheries, at a special hearing in Strasbourg.
Mrs Maria Damanaki said that tailor-made solutions for special sea-basins in the EU are needed.
Questioning the would-be commissioner, Struan Stevenson asked: "I am relieved to see that you are committed to reform of the Common Fisheries Policy and decentralisation and regionalisation of decision-making to involve the fishermen themselves. However, the Amsterdam Treaty protocol on subsidiarity, explicitly rules out any decentralisation of power to Member States. How will you overcome this obstacle?"
Mrs Damanaki replied: "We are not discussing giving back powers to the Member States, but that does not rule out involving them in day to day implementation of our management policies. We need tailor-made solutions for special sea-basins. If we are to avoid micro-management from the centre and 'one-size-fits-all' policies, then tailor-made solutions are the answer but I appreciate that this will be a difficult journey if we are to achieve a fishery that is sustainable environmentally, economically and socially."
Mrs Damanaki went on to rule out any return to subsidised 'new-build' for fishing vessels, although financial assistance for modernisation will be allowed, she said. She added that there will be no question of re-nationalisation of the CFP under her term in office, but that replacing TACs and quotas with an effort-reduction system (days at sea) across the whole of the EU would not be easy. "It might be appropriate in some fisheries but not all", she said.
Commenting after the hearing Struan Stevenson said: "I was impressed with Mrs Damanaki's broad grasp of the complex fisheries brief. Her performance during three intensive hours of examination was intelligent and articulate. She will be a highly competent Commissioner."

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

Reply to this topic