6 replies to this topic

#1 Mick smith

Mick smith

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

hi lads , my name is mick posting from bonny gateshead , ive recently stumbled across this site whilst looking for information in my decision to fish commercialy for a living.
what im looking for is a little guidance as im unsure what steps to take.first of all ill tell a little about myself...
i am a 34yr old time served cnc/manual machinist having worked in both light and heavy engineering enviroments .i lost my job 6 mnth ago and have now decided for a change .when i havent been working i have mainly fished recreationaly from both shore and boat and have spent many hours at sea (i love it!).
i understand i will at least need my 4 statutory mca certificates , but what else should i do/need???
how do i get on a boat to gain valuble experience? would skippers take a chance on me at my age with no commercial experience(though i have a good understanding of it).
in an ideal world i would like to work for someone and eventualy skipper my own one day.
i hope i have posted this in the right place ,
any advice would be great ,cheers
mick

#2 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

Hi Mick,
            welcome to the site, I'm sure some of the guys from up your area would be wiling to take you onboard to show you the ropes, easiest way just take a wander down the harbour and start asking about
Ticket wise you will soon need for any boat an under 16m skippers ticket it is being run free of charge at the minute, I think don't quote me on this it is 5 days in total spread over weekends.
Cheers
Barry
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#3 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

Hi Mick, welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the site.

Your right enough about the 4 safety certificates, Fire Fighting, Sea Survival, First Aid and Health and Safety, full details on the MCA website...... http://www.mcga.gov....es_article_rev.

As for getting on a boat to get experience, maybe somebody reading this will be able to offer you that, you could also stick a free ad in the classifieds on this site, theres also another website which has a crew advert section on there site, both for crew available and crew wanted, heres a link to the page..... http://www.findafish...ings.php?cid=25 just switch back and fore between available/wanted. You are in a location thats not too far from some busy fishing ports so hopefully something will turn up for you.

So all the best and hope you get sorted out, dont be afraid to ask any questions, the lads on here are very helpful.

Kev

#4 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

Mick...... contact details for your regions Training Group which do the safety courses..... http://www.mcga.gov....ta_ext-2007.htm

#5 billy

billy

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

Mick check ya messages m8.....Regards billy :cheers:

#6 Mick smith

Mick smith

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:43 AM

thanks for the warm welcome lads! ,
barry , would that be the same under 16 ticket seafish are doing online? ive been testing myself with the mock assesments and already flew through the watchkeeping and a bit of the engineering section though im sure i read somewhere you needed 2yrs at sea before you can sit it proper...? any ideas when it becomes compulsary for any boat?
thanks for the links kevin , im gonna ring up tomorrow and get them all booked in asap , get them done then knocking on doors and maybe an ad here and there.
its no fun this dole lark! first time since i was at school.
cheers again for your help and support lads.
mick.

#7 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:46 AM

Hi Mick,
            Yes apparently you do need 2 years of sea experience, and its the seafish one that i was talking about.  Maybe you could do it and then just get it issued after you have got you 2 years experience
No idea when i will become compulsory but sure it'll be within the next 5 years, just another dose of crap from the EU being forced through form the IMO
Cheers
Barry
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

Reply to this topic