Catch Me If You Can - Sophie Louise II - SSS 678

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

Interesting video - A 3rd year dissertation documentary from Sunderland University. 'Catch Me If You Can' follows Kevin Dickinson, a Fishing Trawler Skipper operating from North Shields, England. Drawing from the knowledge and experience He has gained from over 20 years in the buisness, we follow the catch from sea to plate and get an inside look at an industry which is having to drastically adapt, to fit in with todays economic climate.

Kevin is Skipper of the Sophie Louise II - SSS 678

http://www.vimeo.com/966708

#2 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

very interesting, didn't think much of the accomodation tho! skipper comes across as a nice guy tho i did hear a story about the boat and a clyde boat i think? which was fanned up, one of our members was involved somewhere along the line, nice looking boat and i really like the colour, sounding like a woman here speaking about pretty colours!!!
i'll put it down to the medication after my accident this morning, interesting program, could have done with being a lot longer tho to get a proper look at the boat in operation.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#3 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:48 PM

very interesting, didn't think much of the accomodation tho! skipper comes across as a nice guy tho i did hear a story about the boat and a clyde boat i think? which was fanned up, one of our members was involved somewhere along the line, nice looking boat and i really like the colour, sounding like a woman here speaking about pretty colours!!!
i'll put it down to the medication after my accident this morning, interesting program, could have done with being a lot longer tho to get a proper look at the boat in operation.

You have to watch it all the way through - it kind of pauses mid way through and throws up the title Catch Me If You Can - I thought that was the end but it goes on beyond that  :)

#4 KEVIND

KEVIND

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

THATS RIGHT Q/W THE STORY BUT IT DEPENDS WOT U WERE TOLD ILL ALTER 4 ANYBODY UNTIL THEY ACT THE DICK HEAD WHICH HE DID SO I JUST TOWED HIM BACKWARDS FOR A MILE OR SO I HAD 5 CEFAS MEN ABOARD THAT DAY AND 2 WERE IN WHEELHOUSE WEN I WAS CALLING ON VHF HE CAME TO WINDOW AND GIV THE 2 FINGER SALUTE SO IT WAS A CASE OV F***K U

#5 KEVIND

KEVIND

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:58 PM

STEVE THERE IS ALSO ANOTHER FILM WE MADE 4 YEAR AGO WITH THE STUDENTS FROM THE UNI CALLED   ~  LAST OF THE HUNTERS IF U CAN FIND IT

#6 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

THAT IS A GOOD PROGRAM IT GIVES A YOUNGSTER LIKE ME AN INSIGHT TO THE JOB WHICH I WOULD LIKE TO DO WHEN I LEAVE SCHOOL

#7 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

STEVE THERE IS ALSO ANOTHER FILM WE MADE 4 YEAR AGO WITH THE STUDENTS FROM THE UNI CALLED   ~  LAST OF THE HUNTERS IF U CAN FIND IT

Hi Kevin

All I can find with that title is the Peter Mortimer book  :)

#8 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

there was a docu made years ago with andrew bremmer and the new boy andrew must be 20yr old called last of the hunters

#9 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:18 PM

there was a docu made years ago with andrew bremmer and the new boy andrew must be 20yr old called last of the hunters

Hi Jammy

This is the one that you mentioned:

http://ssa.nls.uk/fi...earch_fuzzy=yes

#10 KEVIND

KEVIND

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

EYE STEVE THAT BOOK WITH PETER MORTIMER I WAS IN THAT ONE ILL ASK OUR DEAN IF HE STILL HAS THE DVD WOT THE CREW GIV US OR FAILING THAT MAY B ABLE TO GET SOMETHING FROM SUNDERLAND UNI

#11 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

yeah steve that was it think theold man has it on video some where it was quite good at the time

#12 bfsanders

bfsanders

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:18 PM

really enjoyed watching that!

#13 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:08 AM

i've got that bremner one on video somewhere?, tho it might have disappeared with the boat, we used to watch it t o see how the other half lived and throw things at the telly if i remember correctly, i also had what i thought was footage of the second boy andrew being launched but i notice the date of the prog. is 1986 and it mentions andra bremner transferring part of a tow to the opportune which is what the first boy andrew was renamed when the bigger boat was built, both at Campbeltown shipyard, so it must be some other boat maggie m i think? also got the shark hunter howard's way, joke, howard mcCrindle prog which only lacked him shooting anything, still he was just as entertaining without ever seeing a shark. might need to go to an antique shop to find a video player, every one in this house having been replaced with a DVD player years ago,  next time i've got a apare year i'll look them out, my video collection goes back to xmas 1979, new years eve scotch and wry, blondie live at glasgow apollo and a blank three hour tape costing £16.60 for one.

as for the other thing kevin? i probably shouldn't have mentioned it, seeing as it was a half remembered version of one side of a story from another site from months ago, but reading your reply makes me think it differed from your version so best leave it there, the other parties are big enough and ugly enough to speak for themselves, if they choose not to then i'll draw my own conclusions based on your version, we've all come across that sort. more importantly the boat, is it blue or green? my boat was a slightly darker shade of the same colour and i said it was blue, the wife said green, you can see where this is going, its our 25th today and i'd really like a "SEE" i was right all along, to wake her with, might be the only chance i get to speak all day!!!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#14 Sweltered

Sweltered

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

i've got that bremner one on video somewhere?, tho it might have disappeared with the boat, we used to watch it t o see how the other half lived and throw things at the telly if i remember correctly, i also had what i thought was footage of the second boy andrew being launched but i notice the date of the prog. is 1986 and it mentions andra bremner transferring part of a tow to the opportune which is what the first boy andrew was renamed when the bigger boat was built, both at Campbeltown shipyard, so it must be some other boat maggie m i think?

My copy of last of the hunters is at yer maw's. It includes footage of the current Boy Andrew being launched. It used to give me a great deal of enjoyment when Andrew would start on at me for measuring his codend, to quote back to him his call for a bigger mesh sizes and an increase in the minimum sizes. He would get wild when I would ask him why he kept land small round haddies when his master plan in 1986 to save the industry, was to ban rounders.
"Hanging is the outlaw's path to glory and much too good for the likes of you."

#15 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

do not do as i do, do as i say, a favourite saying of your father, saying it on camera is one thing, its a different matter when you've a million plus boat to pay for!!!!!! thats what you call pressure, unlike aberdeen bus drivers on £8.20 an hour going on strike and refusing a 9.92% pay rise from stagecoach, as we used to say "its a good stervin they need"

Reply to this topic