#1 stigoftd

stigoftd

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationplymouth

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

will a 12v 10in bollard winch work efectivly as a potting winch as the boat war origionaly used for potting and has one fitted [dont work yet due to dogy wiring] but when i come to using it full time want to know if it will be as reliable and as affective as a hydraulic
due to a verry tight wallet wanting to keep costs down on startup outlay so if it is ok will keep it but if not i better start saving for an up grade
will get the details of make and what ever is printed on it when i go down to the boat next
see what all you seasoned fishermen say
one mans rubish is another mans gold

#2 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:08 AM

would all depend on whaty sort of ground you were working ,wouldnt say any good amongst rocks but should be alright for sandy bottoms would save the cash up and wait for a decent hydrauulic one  rather than loosing a fleet of creels either thhat or a petrol seawinch something like a wee honda genny wiith plates and a hanging bracket attached to gunwhale
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#3 stigoftd

stigoftd

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationplymouth

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:16 AM

mostly clean ground but some rough patches
as said i dont want to start with out the right gear then find out as you say loosing a fleet
then having to find the cash to get it right quick ish so ile have to start saving and looking for a decent hyd set up
would like to run the hyd pump of the main engine if i went hydraulic is this a simple way to go ?

#4 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:19 AM

yes get direct drive off pulley, is it a sealed deck or open ,engine in a box or down a hatch ie easily accessible
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#5 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:26 AM

Guy down by us got a small eletric 12V motor off a truck one for pulling the tarps over and fitted it onto a bracket, got a fair amount of torque and speed but he is just working single creels, not sure if it would stand up to pulling fleets or not but no reason why a capstan wouldn't work either
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#6 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:31 AM

capstan a bit of a bugger to use wi fleets Barry alright for singles as for electric never seen it but anothe idea is the old bottle pumps ie the pump inside the oil tank and off the pullies at the fore end of the engine ,antique but would say cheap to get a hold of if any about ,the father in law had that in the boat when he first built it dont know if he still has the system now

#7 stigoftd

stigoftd

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationplymouth

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:17 AM

the only other thing i have is a cast alloy reduction box which fits on to a motor . i was trying to find a 12v one to fit to it and use same as a line hauler
put a 12v drill on it and it lifted me of the ground
the boat has deck boards at the mo but want to chane to flush decks so i have storage under decks also i can easily wash of after with the deck wash and not worry about the bilges filling up while doing so
will try and upload some picks of boat and capstan and box 
any thaughts

#8 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:27 AM

The old man has an IP 24 open decked not sealed we worked300 odd creels a day when fishing pumped the boat 3 times a day with hand pump no probs so wouldnt worry about sealing deck at the moment but am away o send you a pm

#9 stigoftd

stigoftd

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationplymouth

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:34 AM

the only prob is that she hasnt got much bilges and the flywheel of the engine is verry low down and only a small amount of water then the flywheel acts like a sprinkler over the engine compartment
was going to make the engine compartment water proof but would be easier to doo the lot i think
the only thing i cant get a sensable price on is walk on weatherproof deck hatches

#10 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:39 AM

i think the only thing i cant get a sensable price on is walk on weatherproof deck hatches
well BOAT is an acronym for Bring Out Another Thousand   bloody true as well just ask Jammy :whistle: or Dodi he probably knows better 

#11 stigoftd

stigoftd

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationplymouth

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:42 AM

ya tell me about it sofar the project has costed about double the origional price that is why its taken over a year to get not that far but got most of the stuff and waiting to get a break in the weather and get her on the trailer so i can start the refit properly 

#12 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:48 AM

If you are pretty handy with fibre glass why not mould your own deck hatches, my brother did it on our old boat and it worked a treat.
Other option is try these guys http://www.acelineha...bination-hauler looks reasonable enough stuff

#13 stigoftd

stigoftd

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationplymouth

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:58 AM

can lay grp on the flat but never tried anything much more elaborate  but ay worth a go i surpose
that combi hauler looks good but a bit out of reach of my pocket at the mo so a lot of saving to do first
but when i sell the other boat might be getting one of those when i save up to do that one up a bit as well hahaha

#14 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

A straight 12v leccy capstan will work, but will flatten batteries very quickly so needs the engine running at all times, and if its starts to labour heavily the motor will burn out. 

the 12v self contained hydraulic pumps are pretty good, sort of things used on tail lifts and the like, can usually be picked up cheap on ebay.  (40 or 50 quid)  Might be easier than running a pump straight off the engine, especially if you don't have a dedicated PTO on the motor. 

these guys are down your way - http://www.woods-group.co.uk  a complete breakers yard of boat machinery, you might pick up a cheap hydraulic winch or even just a capstan in there

#15 stigoftd

stigoftd

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationplymouth

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

top link  O0 :) :)
never herd of them before looks like the sort of place that might have what ime after lying in a corner some where so will definatly give them a ring after christmas see what they got
also got some picks today will try and upload in a bit

#16 stigoftd

stigoftd

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationplymouth

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:18 PM

well was going to post a few picks of the gear in question bit only managed to put one of the boat on so far as it wont let me doo the rest  O0 :) :)
took 12 atempts to get the boat one on   >:( >:( >:(

#17 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

email the photos to barry@trawlerpictures.net and I'll have a look at the pictures to see whats not happening with them
Cheers
Barry

#18 stigoftd

stigoftd

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationplymouth

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:20 AM

many thanks barry much easier so have posted most of them including the capstan in question + id plate
see what you make of it [if it will work on pots]
happy new year from me to you all

Reply to this topic