sn 21

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationnorth shields

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:58 PM

thanks for all the help and info on the steam drifter rejoice. :cheers:

i am endeavouring to find out about two other vessels he skippered, before he was second hand in rejoice

prior to the rejoice, he was skipper of a north shields owned drifter called LILLIE. i have no fishing number for her. i am told she was one of kinnairs.

the second and probably will be hardest to find info on, is a sailing drifter called "FLAGG" or "THE FLAGG"
she would be probably from great yarmouth. my great grandfather was skipper of her after the original skipper george maughan of lowestoft was either lost, or passed ashore.

i have the bible from her which has inscribed on the inside, george maughan "the flagg" febuary 22nd 1885
i dont know if this is from when she was built. were bibles given out with new builds in those days?

inside of this were my great grandfathers certificates of competency, skipper dated 1904. and second hand dated 1896
hell hath no fury like a man who cant find his tools

#2 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

thanks for all the help and info on the steam drifter rejoice. :cheers:

i am endeavouring to find out about two other vessels he skippered, before he was second hand in rejoice

prior to the rejoice, he was skipper of a north shields owned drifter called LILLIE. i have no fishing number for her. i am told she was one of kinnairs.

the second and probably will be hardest to find info on, is a sailing drifter called "FLAGG" or "THE FLAGG"
she would be probably from great yarmouth. my great grandfather was skipper of her after the original skipper george maughan of lowestoft was either lost, or passed ashore.

i have the bible from her which has inscribed on the inside, george maughan "the flagg" febuary 22nd 1885
i dont know if this is from when she was built. were bibles given out with new builds in those days?

inside of this were my great grandfathers certificates of competency, skipper dated 1904. and second hand dated 1896

Not too sure if you are close to North Shields Library but if you are, consider a visit to the Local History Section. They have all sorts of information there and they may have some lists of old NS boats - worth a try?

#3 sn 21

sn 21

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationnorth shields

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

have tried there already steve, no joy.
one min away from library.
still not sure if the name of the first drifter is lillie or lille after the place.
am looking to take a trip to gt yarmouth soon, (still some cunninghams there) may tur up some info on the flagg.

#4 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

have tried there already steve, no joy.
one min away from library.
still not sure if the name of the first drifter is lillie or lille after the place.
am looking to take a trip to gt yarmouth soon, (still some cunninghams there) may tur up some info on the flagg.

Found this on the 1881 Census which I suspect was in Blyth @ http://www.angelfire...mberland81.html

Vessel    "LILY"

JACKSON George Robert m    46    Littlehampton, Sussex, Eng.       Master
COULSON Robert        m    50    Blyth, Northumberland             Mate
GRAY George           m    51    Alnwick, Northumberland           Cook
JOHNSTONE Charles     m    39    Scotland                          AB
JOHNSTONE James       m    23    Scotland                          AB
BRISLANE Peter        u    19    Arbroth, Forfar, Scotland         Apprentice
OLSEN Antony          u    20    Gothenburg, Sweden                Apprentice
PAUL William          u    16    Aberdeen, Scotland                Apprentice
WOOD James            u    16    Nth Sunderland, Durham            Boy

Probably nowt to do with your search!

#5 sn 21

sn 21

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationnorth shields

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

cheers for that mate, thanks for searching. however he would have still been in yarmouth in1881
didnt settle in shields till 1898/1899
:cheers:

#6 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

just looked in the Board of Trade wreck returns:

Lillie  - wrecked 19/01/1912

position recorded as 57.09N 01.04.15W

Iron built Fishing drifter. 27.73metres x 5.53m x 2.81m  registered: North Shields, Owner: Richard K Lillie, North Shields.  Gross tonnage 81, Built 1890 North Shields, 2Cylinder Comp

Was at moorings in River Dee. Drove from her moorings in High Winds, drifted out of the harbour and was blown ashore North Side of North Pier

#7 sn 21

sn 21

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationnorth shields

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

hi mark cheers for that. :cheers:

have some to add to the lillie

she was built for richard lillie in north shields  and was registered as SN79
i dont know if he is a relation to the lillie and gillie guys.
in 1910 she was sold to a mr charles reay of aberdeen.
she was 90.1 feet in length
had a beam of 17.9 feet
and drew 9.1 feet

i have also found out that after leaving the lillie he was skipper of the resplendant SN293 untill he sailed in rejoice. after the rejoice he was in an aberdeen registered trawler called morning dawn.

i would like to find out about the flagg, the only flagg i can find on the net is in rochelle illinois usa

cheers for now

#8 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

the only flagg type name I can find in the UKHO index is 'Flagh'  irish spelling I guess??

#9 sn 21

sn 21

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationnorth shields

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:38 PM

it seems such a strange name, unless it is a patriotic gesture.

Reply to this topic