Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

http://news.stv.tv/s...en-sea-tragedy/

The son of a Scots fisherman lost with 11 crew 50 years ago has called for a memorial to mark the forgotten disaster.

All 12 men on board the Aberdeen trawler George Robb died when the vessel was washed onto rocks off the Caithness coast during the worst storm in living memory.

A 13th man, a member of the coastguard, collapsed and died hours later as he made his way to the wreck at Duncansby Head near John O’Groats.

Since December 7, 1959 there has been virtually no mention of the tragedy that left 34 children fatherless and widowed nine wives overnight.

Now, as the 50th anniversary of the disaster approaches, Eddie Dugan, whose 38-year-old father Robert was a second engineer on the boat is calling for a memorial to be erected.

He said: “It’s just one of those forgotten disasters but it would be nice if there was something to commemorate the George Robb, maybe a stone in a garden or even a tree planted.

“There should be something. There have been a lot of trawler tragedies since then but I think this was one of the worst. Even at that time it was a very big disaster, it devastated a lot of families.”

No firm cause of the tragedy has ever been pinpointed but the weather on the night of December 6 was atrocious – gale force 10, gusting to 11. Men had to cling on to each other to stay on their feet as they fought through the ferocious wind in torchlight to catch sight of the boat.

The George Robb’s young skipper, 31-year-old Matthew Ryles told his wife before the accident: “I’m in for a rough night, the weather’s bad”.

He managed to send out an SOS minutes before midnight on December 6, but by the time rescuers battled three miles along the cliffs, it was too late.

Only one crew member made it to the beach. His body was found half-naked and barefoot on the rocks.

Eddie Dugan, 59, was just ten when he lost his father, whose body was never found. He recalls being taken out of class at St Peter’s Primary School in Aberdeen and told he was getting to go home as something had happened to his dad.

He said: “I walked in and I knew there was something in my mother’s face that was not right, that’s when it hit me that my dad may not be coming back.

“There were prayers said in school and a service in a chapel in Torry when his name was mentioned a couple of times but since then I never heard another thing. I just had to learn to live without him.”

Eddie sailed past the spot where his father was lost, soon after joining the Merchant Navy as a teenager.

He said: “I specifically remember Duncansby Head on the charts and I made a point of having a look to see where my dad went. But it’s been totally forgotten, no one has been in touch with me. This is the first time in 50 years.”

Those who died on the George Robb were: Marshall Ryles ,31; Peter Dempster, 24; Bruno Saborowski, 39; William McKay, 35; Robert Dugan, 38; James Findlay ,30; David Lockhart; John Adams; George Duffy, 25; Albert Smith, 45; William Farquhar and William Duthie, 47.

Wick coastguard station officer Eric Campbell, 50, died while heading to the wreck.

#2 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:37 PM

Hadn't heard of this one Kev - but there is quite a bit of information @ http://www.hansoncla...eorge_robb5.htm  - ckick on the links at the bottom of the page to navigate through the site.

Makes you think that perhaps there should be a National Memorial to those Fishermen lost at sea?

#3 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hi Steve, hadnt heard of it myself until last thursday night when i was visiting an uncle in Lossiemouth and he told me the story about it, then the story appeared on the local news. There was more about it on the local news this evening but i just caught the tail end of it, they havent updated there website yet.

Tragic story for all that.

#4 Boster

Boster

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

Dear Steve.
I have just read your replies regarding the George Robb fishing trawler disaster, and promptly joined the forum, mainly to introduce myself as the uncle of Eric Campbell - the Wick HM Coastguard Station officer who died that terrible night.

Not sure if you heard of the Memorial Service that was held at Wick in memory of all the 12 fishermen and Coastguard who died that night. I flew to Wick on the Friday 5th Dec, for the Service, having been in contact with Norman McCloud (Wick Coastguard - Station Officer), and John Nugent (Minister of Wick St. Fergus Church of Scotland where the service was held), previously to arrange the memorial.

The actual service itself was a wonderful tribute to the fishermen and Mr Campbell. Wreathes were brought and then laid out to sea on the Monday 7th December in memory of the fishermen and Eric Campbell. The Service was also covered by the local television station as well. All of HM Coastguards attended, together with one of the original Coastguards who attended the rescue. A wonderful display of Coastguard equipment was on show, mainly for the younger people of the congregation. It was a VERY moving day.

I had a private memorial up at Duncansby Head itself, as close to The Stacks as safely possible (there was a high, gusty wind that day!), and laid a flowered cross in sight of The Stacks.

Finally, I would to say there are copies of photo's on my web site I took of the whole weekend at http://www.hansoncla...anniversary.htm  I do believe though a permanent memorial is required in memory of that tragic day.

Hadn't heard of this one Kev - but there is quite a bit of information @ http://www.hansoncla...eorge_robb5.htm  - ckick on the links at the bottom of the page to navigate through the site.

Makes you think that perhaps there should be a National Memorial to those Fishermen lost at sea?

#5 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

Some very interesting information at your site  O0

Reply to this topic