carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

Well here you have it guys, just been told by an industry leader that
Quote:

" the world has moved on since 2004 but the fishing industry is no worse than it was in 2004"!!!

Emm...is he from the same planet as we are :crazy2:

#2 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

well i would say that the industry is a lot worse off now than it was in 2004

#3 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:19 AM

Well here you have it guys, just been told by an industry leader that
Quote:

" the world has moved on since 2004 but the fishing industry is no worse than it was in 2004"!!!

Emm...is he from the same planet as we are :crazy2:
needs a good boot in the ass
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#4 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:29 AM

Adoration II .....Aye your right! easy seen by that comment he has not been to sea for years eh!! What a plonker, is it any wonder we are in the state we are in with neeps like that representing us, it's bad enough with gutless politicians but you expect a bit more from the your elected industry voice!!

#5 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

im fecking arseless with hole job these days used 2 like coming 2sea on a monday peace and quiet every morning 2 thinking nothing off it now its not even a job threw c***s sitting in offices pushing pens
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#6 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

there is to many so called "industry leaders". what the fishing needs is for an amalgamation of these industry leaders in to one. one representative and one voice. unfortunately we all know that this will never happen as there is now an industry within an industry when it comes to fishing and the politics that it has become mired in. believe it or not some within the industry are quite happy to keep it overcomplicated as it is providing a very comfortable way of life. in fact that just about goes for any industry within the uk, not just fishing. talk about singing from the same hymn sheet, half of our lot aren't even in the same church. united we stand and divided we fall. its a good job i am at a loose end today as this has all been said before.

#7 Marcus1608

Marcus1608

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

http://www.pressandj...le.aspx/1479066

"Mr Armstrong said the scheme would require investment in new gear, including fishing nets, but suggested the European Commission (EC) would be open to the idea because it would fit well with Common Fisheries Policy reform.

He admitted that he had not discussed the idea with the fishing industry, however, but later stressed that he only spoke out because he is fully committed to supporting the hard-pressed fleet."

How difficult would it have been to discuss it with "the industry" before discussing it with msps at holyrood?  ? :crazy2:

#8 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

Hmm .....you're right Nikky I there are people reaping a heafty salary for making things over complicated, but as the saying goes "you put them there so get rid!" and in all fairness to Bertie Armstrong he is not from a fishing background and he is still learning but 10/10 to the man for now speaking up and telling it as it is...........other than fabricate the issue.
Did you know that he was ejected from a meeting by Mr PARK ........in front of media eyes!!! now come on what is that saying about the Industry ....I thought SWFPA & SFF were a partnership made in heaven.....obviously not! then again Mr P likes the sound of his own voice but he does'nt half talk some s**t, maybe he should go back to sea  so that he can see that the industry is a lot worse off than 2004!!!!

#9 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

well bertie armstrong may still be learning but as he is not from a fishing background i think he is in the best position to see what is right for one and all. i think that anybody that wants to be in a position of power  should give up any financial interest within the industry that they are (supposedly) fighting to save. i wouldn't suggest for one minute that people would take advantage of any inside information that they recieve before it is unleashed to the general public but there has been certain moves made in the past by some that would suggest that they may have heard of new legislation long before anyone else. it might be me being a bit over suspicious over the years but its this kind of suspicion that leads to division amongst fishermen. i believe national control is the only way there will ever be a decent future for the industry and although that is very unlikely to happen, if we did get it we would face a whole set of new problems with regards to who could manage it. it would be a closed shop for the boys in the know.

#10 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

Nicky I, from the very onset of our campaign we learned about National Control, and I personally studied fisheries pre CFP and looked at the industry stats in the early 70's and from the commencement of the CFP the fishing industry has slowly been squeezed to a mere pulp, in 2005 we presented a 250.000 signed petition backing the return of National Control, sadly to say there was neither the political will nor battle to push it forward.

#11 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

Far to many different interests in fishing and differing views from say trawlermen ,scallopers,pelagic and static gear all arguing between each other ,then the East/West split doesnt /didnt help one voice is needed not all the P.Os and IFGs ,as Nicky and Carol say someone outside the industry is needed to voice the opinions of all after listening to each AND every group and taking the most valid points without all the squabbles and bias that can happen now  to get rid of the I'm alright Jack Screw you mentallity and it doesnt help when successive governments have given away alll rights to our waters to get other benefits ,the only answer is to pull out of Europe and bring in a exclusive zone around all of the British Isles like Norway has successfully done for years with the ability to allow other nations access unlike the free for all now
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#12 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

Well said wbeedie!!........Well here's a thing. We just received a letter today from Trump International wishing us every success in our campaign for fishing communities! ...........Donald may want to lead the industry eh?....lol

#13 mike-sustain

mike-sustain

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationpeterhead

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:11 AM

i scrapped my last boat in sept/2003 due to political interference and uncertainty in the industry.throughout 2004 i watched and decided that there as an upturn in the job i had love and worked in for 28yrs so i bought the boat i have now and came back into the fold.in june 2005 i started fishing again with great optimism and did so until xmas last year.wow what a change a few rules can make to a job that was doing ok.my head is still spinning from the shock,the reasons and the sensibility of the changes made this year.i cant keep up with rules because they change them or add more making it easy to fall foul of the law.in the space of a few months i have become very dissillusioned with whats happening,who's helping us and who's not..for anyone to say we are better off than we were 5 yrs ago cannot be breathing the same air as i am.and my on opinion on the future is a fleet less than half of what we have now with little or no investment from individuals (deckies,prospective shareholders and skippers).ARE we the last generation of skipper/owners ?

#14 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:29 AM

i scrapped my last boat in sept/2003 due to political interference and uncertainty in the industry.throughout 2004 i watched and decided that there as an upturn in the job i had love and worked in for 28yrs so i bought the boat i have now and came back into the fold.in june 2005 i started fishing again with great optimism and did so until xmas last year.wow what a change a few rules can make to a job that was doing ok.my head is still spinning from the shock,the reasons and the sensibility of the changes made this year.i cant keep up with rules because they change them or add more making it easy to fall foul of the law.in the space of a few months i have become very dissillusioned with whats happening,who's helping us and who's not..for anyone to say we are better off than we were 5 yrs ago cannot be breathing the same air as i am.and my on opinion on the future is a fleet less than half of what we have now with little or no investment from individuals (deckies,prospective shareholders and skippers).ARE we the last generation of skipper/owners ?

I certainly hope no Mike! thats why we took the young lads ti the meeting we us because they are the industry's future.....a future that we have had for centuries..........its a good job jesus didna hae quotas in his days cis his disiples wid be fair snookered!!!
Amd het fit about out so called National Anthem " Rule Brittania Brittania Rules the Waves" hmmm
Fishing dates back to BD days its tradition, heritage...........now you have me thinking again it's a long shot but whats the clergy's uptake on this after all that was mans source of food at the time BD........the sea's were / are there to be harvested, unlike farmers you dont get paid not to catch a certain species!!!!!! have a look under Farming Grants on the Scots Gov website....shocking!!

#15 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

good point about the farmers carol. they recieve a single farm payment every year from the government. the bigger the farm the bigger the payment. its not sweetie money either. and they get this because if they didnt they would all go under. why do the government recognise this and not see the similarities with the fishing industry.if the fishermen recieved a fraction of what the farmers have been getting it would have gone a long way to restructuring the fleet and help recovering stocks. once again the fishermens resourcefulness and determination has ended up being counter productive. how deranged is that? it seems the more incapable you become of doing anything the more the government takes pity on you and throws cash at you but, if you dare keep your head down and make the most of the constantly shifting goalposts and ludicrous half-formed ideas coming out of brussels the harder they beat you down. my conclusion is that these people who make the big decisions in brussels have proven incapable time and time again, the cfp has become known by everyone to be the white elephant that many predicted so why are we still trying to make it work? reform we here them shout! how can you reform something that quite clearly never had any formation in the first place?

#16 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

good point about the farmers carol. they recieve a single farm payment every year from the government. the bigger the farm the bigger the payment. its not sweetie money either. and they get this because if they didnt they would all go under. why do the government recognise this and not see the similarities with the fishing industry.if the fishermen recieved a fraction of what the farmers have been getting it would have gone a long way to restructuring the fleet and help recovering stocks. once again the fishermens resourcefulness and determination has ended up being counter productive. how deranged is that? it seems the more incapable you become of doing anything the more the government takes pity on you and throws cash at you but, if you dare keep your head down and make the most of the constantly shifting goalposts and ludicrous half-formed ideas coming out of brussels the harder they beat you down. my conclusion is that these people who make the big decisions in brussels have proven incapable time and time again, the cfp has become known by everyone to be the white elephant that many predicted so why are we still trying to make it work? reform we here them shout! how can you reform something that quite clearly never had any formation in the first place?

Aye Nicky, if the industry were to receive half of what the farmers get then we have nothing to moan about, and as for CFP reform, again this will prove to be another failure, they should just scrap this not fit for purpose management regime!

#17 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:22 PM

Mike the Sustain has just summed up how i feel and most of the guys that i speak to are the same, after things starting to look good for the industry for a couple of years this last year has just scunnered most guys.The next year or so there is going to be big changes to the industry and and none of it that i can see is for the good.

#18 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:36 PM

Mike the Sustain has just summed up how i feel and most of the guys that i speak to are the same, after things starting to look good for the industry for a couple of years this last year has just scunnered most guys.The next year or so there is going to be big changes to the industry and and none of it that i can see is for the good.

Well Bob I think a vote of No Confidence in the leadership is called for, after all it's them that are going to the ministers representing your interests, it's them hailing CCTV, c'mon if that is going to become compulsory god help us all!

#19 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:12 PM

People do not realise the chaos cameras are going to cause,some prawn men even think it will not affect them.They will be put aboard whitefish boats and it will be proved how much fish is in the N sea,some misguided or easily lead soles are going to think that this will get the quota put up to what the fleet needs to be viable but the EC will have other ideas.The whitefish boats will be stopped midyear and turn to the prawns even earlier than this year which will make the market collapse again and we will all be up shit creek.Then mabye Mike Park and his bumchum Dicky Lochead will come round all the West coast prawn ports and tell us all what bright boys they are.

#20 carolmac

carolmac

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFraserburgh

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

Bob these camera's are going to effect every vessel, by the way who is paying for them?? the vessel owner once again, and the prawn fleet will not get off the hook either this is just going to add to their problems, aye it would be interesting to hear what Bill n Ben tells them then.

Reply to this topic