12 replies to this topic

#1 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

I have yet to receive my windows 7 upgrade i ordered free from acer. I got my new laptop in September as a birthday prezzie and heard about the free upgrade through acer and immediately ordered it cant wait on it arriving as this vista home premium is crap always asking for permission to start updates and the likes.A bit of advice needed though this is the first time i have went anywhere near upgrades for os so help seriously needed. First off will i need to run backup discs/ back up to external hard drive. If so how do i do that. Next off will my camera software still work and should my paint shop pro 7 still work.Does anyone know if the disc that comes as the upgrade will it just be like a install program that runs when it is put into the laptop. Lastly if something goes wrong with w7 will i be able to uninstall it a go back to this crap vista.
cheers
oinyk

#2 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hi Euan

Before you do anything try this piece of software to check any problems with W7 before you upgrade  :cheers:

http://www.microsoft...de-advisor.aspx

I'm sticking with Vista, has worked Ok for me and anyway, what makes you think that W7 won't be asking if it can update!

Regards

Steve E.

#3 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

Will try that link. I just think that vista has been a complete disaster i hate it so all they can do is go up haha and i got offered it for free anyway so i might aswell get it and give it a try.

#4 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

any version of windows is a disaster :cheers:
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#5 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

thought you would say that but money was tight windows is cheaper so windows it is

#6 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:38 PM

might appear cheaper, but you pay for it many times over in the long run

Windows 7 really is gods way of saying buy a mac next time

For what is worth the worst of the upgrade problems have been from those poor sods that had vista before

this might entertain you while you watch windoze crash, reboot and spit the authentication dummy out for the zillionth time

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

#7 TOMMYTWOSHARES

TOMMYTWOSHARES

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

YK  I TOO         HAD A BIT OF BOTHER WITH  7 WINDOWS  , I PHONED THE MANUFACTURER AND  THEY RECOMMENDED  A DROP OF SILICONE   O0   ;D

#8 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

haha  O0 ;D ;D ;D ;D :D O0 ;D haha lol O0

#9 DMCMINN

DMCMINN

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:52 PM

xp was the best, we use it for all pc plotters etc , vista was a disaster , hope windows 7 will be okay as its getting hard to by the genuine copies of xp now.

#10 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

well i have installed my windows 7 and a way to think of it is xp jazzed up with a rocket up its ass

#11 Guest_ally_*

Guest_ally_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:57 PM

I've have Vista and cant fault it, never had any bother with it  :crazy2:

#12 Gary Sutherland

Gary Sutherland

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationKinlochbervie

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:16 AM

Knoxy, you can turn those annoying Vista prompts off. It's not obvious how to do it but you can. I'll dig the details out if you like.

Vista is ok, on its own, but can be a b*gg*r if you're trying to network a gaggle of PC's where some are running XP and others Vista. It's also a lot hungrier from the RAM point of view.

I bought a new laptop earlier in the year and it came with Vista and a 'downgrade' to XP Pro - which I immediately used, to avoid problems with networking.

From what others have said Windows 7 is a major step forward from Vista, with much better memory management and faster booting. Whether and how quickly the hardware manufacturers get on-board with compatible printer drivers and such like I can't say, but lack of the same was a significant problem with Vista.
http://www.kinlochbervie.info
http://www.flickr.co...garysutherland/
http://www.berviephotographic.co.uk
Gary Sutherland reserves all rights with respect to photography published under this username.

#13 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for that ambriel but its ok i have got windows 7 in now and alls well now a hell of a lot easier to work and a lot quicker and more efficient. I can run twice the amount of high power programs than before so yippeee

Reply to this topic