Fisherman dies after Channel fall - Koremeloem

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

From the BBC News Site @ http://news.bbc.co.u...sex/8348192.stm

Fisherman dies after Channel fall

A British fisherman has died after falling overboard in the English Channel in "atrocious" conditions.

The fisherman, who was from Brixham, Devon, was working on the 37ft (11.3m) beam trawler Koremeloem.

He fell overboard close to the North East Shipping Lane, about 20 miles (32km) off Hastings, East Sussex at about 1900 GMT on Friday.

He was brought back onboard by fellow crew members, who called the coastguard, but the man later died.

Dover Coastguard launched a joint operation with their French counterparts.

The French coastguard helicopter airlifted the fisherman to medical facilities on the Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel Mounts Bay.

Pete Legg, senior coastguard watch manager, said: "Conditions in the Channel were atrocious last night and the crew did an excellent job to get their colleague back on board.

"Sadly despite the very best efforts of them, the French coastguard and the medical staff on the Mounts Bay this fisherman lost his life."
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.u...sex/8348192.stm

Published: 2009/11/07 13:01:10 GMT

© BBC MMIX

#2 3762dazzer

3762dazzer

Mate

• Moderators
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:34 PM

Very very sad, RIP to the poor lad :cheers:

http://www.trawlerpi...sa=view;id=6481

#3 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

Courtesy of http://www.thisissou...il/article.html

[color=blue]

Tribute to sea tragedy fisherman
Monday, November 09, 2009, 09:33

A MOTHER has paid tribute to her Brixham son who 'always made her proud'.

Fisherman James Grindy (pictured), 24, lost his life after falling overboard in 'atrocious' weather while working in the English channel about 20 miles off Hastings, East Sussex.

James's mum Jackie Leaman, in a moving tribute to her son, said: "He always made me proud whatever he did. There was not a bad bone in that boy's body.

"Whenever I was feeling stressed he always showed me a better way of dealing with things. He was an inspiration to me and he was my son, it should have been the other way round."

James was working on board the 29-metre Korenbloem when tragedy struck at about 7pm on Friday. Today, full details of the crew's 'heroic' efforts to save their friend emerged.
Click here for more

Boat owner Neil Watson said: "What they did was brilliant, selfless and heroic. They risked their lives to try and save him.

"The crew are not sure exactly what happened before James went in the water. When they realised he was in the water and they could see he was going underneath, Joe Fellowes and John-Paul Kimble dived straight in to stop him going down.

"Before they got hold of him they had to dive down twice to get him. They managed to keep him up and got him inside the boat where the crew did CPR and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. They got him breathing again, he was breathing when he was airlifted from the boat."

Dover coastguard launched a joint operation with French counterparts.

The French coastguard helicopter airlifted Mr Grindy to medical facilities on the Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel Mounts Bay.

Pete Legg, senior coastguard watch manager, said: "Conditions in the Channel were atrocious on Friday night and the crew did an excellent job to get their colleague back on board.

"Sadly, despite the very best efforts of them, the French coastguard and the medical staff on the Mounts Bay, the fisherman lost his life."

Mrs Leaman said she would like to thank the crew for their efforts in trying to save her son.

"I know that they are absolutely devastated," she said.

"I want them to know that I will be forever thankful for their endeavours to do right by James. I hope they can recover from this. My thoughts are with them."

Mrs Leaman said James was in the Royal Navy for three years and that may have been what attracted him to fishing.

She said he loved it in the navy and left when his son was born in 2006.

She said his body would be brought back to Brixham on a naval vessel and she thinks the ship that brings him home will be the first one he served on.

She said he loved the crew of the fishing boat and wanted to do it despite the dangers of the job.

"I used to say to him 'come home and get off the boats because it is so dangerous'. But he would say to me 'when it's your time it's your time'."

She added: " I am really proud of the man he became. I hope I played a small part in helping him get to that.

"James was James and we loved him and will miss him very much.

"I am absolutely devastated and shocked by what has happened."

Mr Watson also paid tribute to James saying: "I sailed with him a week to 10 days ago. It was great. He was a good guy. I only got to be with him for two or three days but I found him to be a very nice man and good fun to be with — a very nice person."

Jean Adamson, the landlady of the Globe Hotel in Brixham where Mr Grindy's girlfriend works, spoke about a 'lovely lad'.

"He was a happy, fun-loving lad. He was helpful and would help any body out and make friends with anybody."

She said he'd only been working as a fisherman for three or four months.

#4 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

Courtesy of http://www.thisissou...il/article.html

Fisherman died after going overboard
Thursday, November 19, 2009, 09:31

A FISHERMAN from Brixham died from injuries to his chest and abdomen after falling overboard off the Sussex coast, an opening inquest was told.

James Grindy (pictured), 24, was on board the beam trawler Korenbloem 25 miles off Beachy Head when he fell from the vessel on November 6.

Crewmates managed to rescue him and give him resuscitation treatment, but their efforts were in vain.

Coroner's officer Ric Parsons told the hearing in Torquay yesterday the sea and weather conditions at the time 'were not good'.

He said a post mortem examination confirmed Mr Grindy, who was single and lived in Brixham's Broadacre Drive, died from blunt force trauma to the chest and abdomen.
Click here for more

He added there were no suspicious circumstances.

Mr Grindy's body was formally identified at Torbay Hospital's Chapel of Rest by his stepfather Ryan Leaman, a window installer from Brixham.

Mr Parsons said it was not known how Mr Grindy came to fall overboard.

A full inquest will be heard at a later date.

The incident is also under investigation with the MAIB.

#5 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

RIP - this piece courtesy of This Is South Devon.com @ http://www.thisissou...il/article.html

Final farewell to fisherman

Saturday, November 28, 2009, 07:00

FAMILY, friends and members of Brixham fishing community said a final farewell to a fisherman who died tragically at sea earlier this month.

More than 100 people gathered inside St Mary's Church in Milton Street, Higher Brixham, to pay tribute to James Grindy, who died on November 6 after falling overboard while fishing in the Channel.

Members of the Royal Navy and fishermen who worked with James were in attendance to show support to one of their own.

Rev Anne Burden conducted the celebratory service for his short but full life.

James' casket, painted in the union flag and covered with floral tributes including some shaped like anchors, was welcomed into the church to music from Bruce Hornsby.

Following the first hymn, Morning Has Broken, James' brother Chris thanked the crewmen of the beam trawler Korenbloem for their efforts in trying to save his life.

He also thanked the French and English coastguards for 'bringing him home' and the Royal Navy for 'giving him a special send-off'.

In a heartfelt and moving tribute to his beloved brother, Chris, who fought back tears, said: "I remember this little boy becoming a man. He was so proud to be a father to his son Jacob.

"James didn't care what people thought of him. He had a big personality. He was such a caring person to all. It is an honour to be his brother."

Several more tributes to James were included in the order of service.

One such message from Andrew Hamlett said: "I joined the navy with James. He was a top bloke with a good heart. A true sailor through and through. He loved the navy and everything in it."

Superintendent John Anderson, of the Brixham Fisherman's Mission, read the pilot psalm and a passage from the Bible called Jesus Calming the Storm.

In his sermon, Supt Anderson said: "James spent five years in the navy and visited very interesting places around the world.

"He left the navy when his son was born and returned to Brixham where he worked as a fisherman.

"James took life on the chin. He would never leave the ones he loved.

"When he died he was doing something he loved, something honourable.

"His family was so proud of the man he had become."

James Grindy had been on board the Korenbloem 25 miles off Beachy Head when he fell from the vessel.

His crewmates managed to rescue him and give him resuscitation treatment, but their efforts were in vain.

James was later helicoptered out by French and English coastguards to HMS Albion, where he sadly died.

Supt Anderson added: "James' family are thankful to the crew of the fishing boat he worked on that day for they have a grave to visit. Somewhere to go and reflect, say a few words and spend time with him and their memories of him."

Following a time of reflection during which Annie Lennox's Into The West was played, Amazing Grace was sung by mourners before James' coffin was taken out of the church for a private burial service.

Reply to this topic