8 replies to this topic

#1 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:02 PM

Lochhead says fishing communities deserve to have their voice heard at the top table
Monday, 19 October 2009 10:53
DURING his address to the SNP conference in Inverness on Sunday, the Scottish Rural Affairs & Environment Secretary, Richard Lochhead MSP highlighted the importance of fisheries.
He explained that some sectors are doing very well but others have been hit hard by the recession.
Mr Lochhead said: "The downturn brought low fish prices and the loss of niche export markets in France, Spain and elsewhere. And on top of that, many fishermen have faced more and more restrictions from Brussels.
“For many of our fishermen, 2009 has been a tough year and given Friday’s quota proposals from Brussels, 2010 looks as if it will be equally tough.
"The SNP Government will continue to make protecting fish stocks a priority and, yes, being in Government means that, from time to time, we have to take difficult decisions for the long term benefit of the industry.
"But our industry is showing leadership in conservation and we have introduced trail blazing schemes that have won plaudits throughout Europe and beyond.
"It just goes to show that when we are allowed to use our own initiative, we can make a better job of running our affairs than Brussels or London ever will.
"But any law that forces fishermen to discard good quality, marketable fish over the side of the boat, dead back into the sea is crazy. Yet, that is exactly what the Common Fisheries Policy does.
"Discards are a waste of a valuable food resource and economic and environmental madness. A million tonnes of fish dumped overboard each and every year in the North Sea by Europe’s fleets. Conference, we have to make discards history if we are to save the industry and save the stocks.
"Thankfully, the CFP is being reviewed and Scotland is leading the debate on its future and our guiding principle throughout next year’s CFP negotiations is simple. Decision making must be returned to Scotland where it belongs!
"But we can’t wait for 2013 for radical changes – we need changes now – not after it is too late for Scotland’s fishermen.
“Every SNP Westminster candidate in our coastal communities will be reminding every Tory candidate that it was the Tories that took Scotland into the CFP. The official record show the Tories viewed fishing as ‘expendable’. Well our view is that the industry is ‘invaluable’.
"You can trust the SNP and in the storms ahead we’ll stand shoulder to shoulder with our fishing communities. After my speech, I am going to Luxembourg for tomorrow’s European agriculture and fisheries council but when I get to the Council Chamber tomorrow, I won’t be allowed to sit at the top table.
"I’ll get to observe but not to participate. I’ll be representing Scotland but not able to put Scotland’s case.
"You know at a recent council meeting, the UK Minister had to leave early. Did he offer the seat to the Scottish Fisheries Minister? No - on orders from Downing Street, he instructed one of his civil servants to take the vacant seat.
"So we had to two civil servants at the top table - neither of whom would be able to point to Peterhead, Lerwick or Eyemouth or Stornoway, or any fishing port on a map!
"London Labour will go to any length to stop Scotland having a voice on one of our key national interests. Scotland has 70% of the UK’s quota - and we have a Government that makes fishing a priority.
"At the top table, to the left of the UK, sits Malta - a country the size of Edinburgh - and on the right sits the small nation of Estonia – same population as Greater Glasgow!
“Scotland’s fishing communities deserve to have their voice heard at the top table - not gagged on the sidelines.
"When many of our fishermen are fighting for economic survival, our proud fishing industry needs Scottish independence more than ever.

#2 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

let us see some action mr lochead we have heard a lot of hot air before from predecessors if ever there was a time for you to stand up and fight for your subjects(ie the fishermen) it must be now

#3 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:26 PM

well said jammy i agree totally with what you have said

#4 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

let us see some action mr lochead we have heard a lot of hot air before from predecessors if ever there was a time for you to stand up and fight for your subjects(ie the fishermen) it must be now
best thing ive heard u saying in years
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#5 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:27 PM

thats only casue you never listen to what i say ricardo
you normally just gimie a deaf lug lol

#6 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

did he justify you with an answer yet cuzz did yi check yon link a sent yi O0
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#7 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:18 AM

thats only casue you never listen to what i say ricardo
you normally just gimie a deaf lug lol
och im sorry jammy but ur full o shegit lol
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr