ok another starter for 10

9 replies to this topic

#1 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

you fed up with the resident numpty yet??!!   8)

right then, gearboxy/hydraulicy conundrum time.  we know we're propped wrong, and so a 3:1 box and big fan are on the shopping list.  currently a borgy 1.5:1, so....  I'm thinking that replacing the bory with another borgy would be a good idea, everything should just marry up nicely (or will it??)

elsewhere down below, heath robinson has done his finest with the hydraulics, and it'd be nice to get that sorted proper as well.  the pump at the moment is belt driven by a mish mash of shafts and pulleys, fine for the steering, but useless for the powering winch (Getting old and lazy, divent fancy hauling the hook by hand)

can you get borg warner boxes with a separate PTO to bolt a pump on??  Got the idea in my head that if we get a different box, prm, hurth or whatever, we're then gonna have a night mare lining up the shaft, fannying on raising the engine or whatever to get it to sit right - sound logical?

other options we're toying with are maybe a seperate electric pump just for the winch...  or what is probably the most sensible thing (but the most work) throwing away all the 'stuff' that is currently fitted on the engne's front PTO and sticking a pump there, where it should of been in the first place - currently there's a shaft off the PTO with a load of pulleys on, one drives a deck wash pump, another couple drive a 24V generator, and another one drives a pulley on separate shaft on the end of which is the hydraulic pump

whadda ya reckon?

#2 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:43 AM

Why dont you go for a direct drive off the front of the engine Mark and clutch in out manually with it rather than having a PTO quite easy to do as we have this on the wee creel boat to work the hauler
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:00 AM

is it only for anchor hauling you want hyd's mark?? simple clucth arangment off the fore end as willie b says direct drive a small pump about 1/2ton would more thna suffice surely or drove off the gearbox as some do but then it is runnign slower (i think)saves a load of belts and drives from the fore end stub shaft leave room for alternators or transmotors

#4 paul h

paul h

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationwhitby

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:13 AM

you can change a borg with a prm gearbox they do with with a stright output shaft (the norm having a drop on them )and u couid put pto onto the prm gearbox
see prm website i know these new but might got model number to suit then sorce a good second hand 1
http://www.newage-pr...rm/products.htm
we normally deal with this company for gearbox problems http://www.mitgroup.co.uk/

#5 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

the winch is just an anchor winch with rope drum and gypsy, but quite a big one, we've got a big pump to fit (unclutched though) so I guess probably not a good idea to leave that running all the time if we are hardly using the winch, although the plumbing should just dump the oil back to the tank through the relief valve

seen a 3:1 borgy on ebay, up in kinlochbervie, and reckon that'll go quite cheaply, the few big prm's I've seen second hand tend to be pricey, but if one comes along at the right price....

so maybe re-working the PTO at the front of the lump is the best answer, and probably once done would be happy to sit there for donkeys years, we're probably going to fit a seperate genset anyway so the belt driven gen' could happily go the journey

I had seen a couple of electric pumps of wagon tail lifts used for winches, which is where that hairbrained idea came from

#6 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

you would need a cooler of some sort to leave the hyd's clutched in all the time when the eng is running mark its more pipe work you eally dont need off the top of my head the fenner clucth arrangment we have on here is under £1000 spline drive to the stub shaft thru a tyreeither run a morse cable to wheelhouse or just leave it so you jump down and put the handle in when you need

#7 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

Either that go for a 24V system, have a 24V DC motor driving the hydraulic pump, means if the engine craps out you would still have emergency usage of the windlass, we have it for the 3 ton MCA approved crane on the yacht, set of two gel 220AH batteries, will run the crane for 10 lifts up and down of the crane no problem at all.
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#8 homeward bound

homeward bound

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:45 PM

steam her to peterhead,give the keys to the boys at thistle marine, go to the maldives for 3 weeks  and she will be ready when you get back

#9 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:45 PM

we've got 12 x 600Ah 2volt batteries to make up the 24v side of life.  

maybe a 'leccy contraption might do the do for now, when she's out for repairs next year the box will be out, so that might be a good time to get PTO version sorted.  the pump we've got came off a big trawl winch off a boat that was scrapped last year and is probably overkill anyway...

anyone need a big pump!

#10 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

steam her to peterhead,give the keys to the boys at thistle marine, go to the maldives for 3 weeks  and she will be ready when you get back

best idea yet...  ;D

hoping our next venture to peterhead is a bit less, err, 'interesting',  than the last

Reply to this topic