#1 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

Originally posted in www.fishnewseu.com

FISHERMEN will face another crisis next February unless the catching sector can devise effective strategy to substitute for another effort cut in the North Sea.

This was underlined today by a leading industry figure who said that it was crucial that conservation strategy be worked up quickly to counter the impact of the planned 10% effort cut in the North Sea next year.
Mike Park, the executive chairman of the Scottish White Fish Producers’ Association said the objective had to be the retention of the status quo in effort terms; otherwise another crisis would be inevitable next February.
Mr Park said the industry had to be in the position at the appropriate time to table a list of effective measures to be used in exchange for the effort cut and which would allow retention of the status quo.
“This is what we have to do and if we are not in a position to do this then it is inevitable we will face another crisis.
“And if we do not sit down at this time and look at what as an industry we can do for next year, then we are not acting as leaders.”
Mr Park underlined that the 10% effort cut in the North Sea and 25% on the West Coat formed part of the Commission’s timetable for cod recovery- but the industry had to continue to try to match effort cuts with the kind of initiatives including real time closures and technical measures which had already been employed.
“I would say the biggest issue facing us at this time is coming up with ideas for next year to allow us to recover effort. Our calls to halt effort reductions must be loud and clear but I think we also have to ask ourselves whether we are recovering enough lost effort.
"We also have to ask ourselves if there is anything out there we are not thinking about and also if there are other things,through other initiatives, we can employ to protect the quota."

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

Reply to this topic